Why become a member? ×

My New Funk Band

lukeward2004

Hi Guys,

I had the first rehearsal with my new funk band last night - minus one guitarist. I decided to get together with a guy I work with and two friends, and although I knew Lee (drummer) was awesome, I had no idea how good my work friend would be. My mate Kris is mad on funk and soul music, and he is a professionally trained vocalist, so he was a natural choice.

So, we met up with a lineup of Drums, Bass, Keyboards and vocals - and despite missing a guitarist, we seemed to "gel" really well together. We played Jamiroquai's "Runaway" and "Too Young to Die", Tower Of Power's "Soul With a Capital S" and "Diggin on James Brown", and the classic "Play that Funky Music" by Wild Cherry.

I havent had so much fun in my life! It was tight and groovey, and everyone was left excited and eager to get together again and continue - I think I am onto something with these guys!

I cant wait for the next one - we have got the next 3 weeks booked up for rehearsals and we are going to learn about 10-15 songs for covers, and then work on writing our own songs.

We even had a little play around with some ideas I have been working on for ages, and I think we have at least 2-3 ideas for originals - I will keep you all informed but I wanted to share the joy!

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='6645' date='May 25 2007, 04:48 PM']Hi Guys,

I had the first rehearsal with my new funk band last night - minus one guitarist. I decided to get together with a guy I work with and two friends, and although I knew Lee (drummer) was awesome, I had no idea how good my work friend would be. My mate Kris is mad on funk and soul music, and he is a professionally trained vocalist, so he was a natural choice.

So, we met up with a lineup of Drums, Bass, Keyboards and vocals - and despite missing a guitarist, we seemed to "gel" really well together. We played Jamiroquai's "Runaway" and "Too Young to Die", Tower Of Power's "Soul With a Capital S" and "Diggin on James Brown", and the classic "Play that Funky Music" by Wild Cherry.

I havent had so much fun in my life! It was tight and groovey, and everyone was left excited and eager to get together again and continue - I think I am onto something with these guys!

I cant wait for the next one - we have got the next 3 weeks booked up for rehearsals and we are going to learn about 10-15 songs for covers, and then work on writing our own songs.

We even had a little play around with some ideas I have been working on for ages, and I think we have at least 2-3 ideas for originals - I will keep you all informed but I wanted to share the joy![/quote]

Sounds fantastic. I'm proper FO jealous.

Get a cheap recording on BC quick!

[quote name='BeLow' post='7004' date='May 26 2007, 09:05 AM']One of my fantasies to play down the line funk, complete with an on the jazz horn section. A nice line of good looking lady BV's ........

Sorry got carried away there, when are you recruiting the Horn section?[/quote]

TO Be Honest, we need to get ourselves estabilished with a set list and some original tunes first. We have discussed the horn section and I personally would like to have one, but at this stage we are sticking with Keys, bass, vocals and drums.

Im really enjoying this so far, the drummer im playing with is the best drummer ive ever had the pleasure of being in a band with - check out his playing here: [url="http://www.myspace.com/kaldera"]www.myspace.com/kaldera[/url]