Why become a member? ×

New Rig

G.S.T.Ring

As some/most of you may know, my rig was stolen recently.

I'm currently saving up for a new one (thanks for the offers of replacement gear) and thought I'd get some input from the "experts".

If you were buying everything over again from scratch, what would you consider essential?

What would you suggest has the best tone/feel?

All opinions will be treated with respect btw.... I'm looking for feedback not a chance to ridicule anyone

[quote name='G.S.T.Ring' post='6672' date='May 25 2007, 05:24 PM']As some/most of you may know, my rig was stolen recently.

I'm currently saving up for a new one (thanks for the offers of replacement gear) and thought I'd get some input from the "experts".

If you were buying everything over again from scratch, what would you consider essential?

All opinions will be treated with respect btw.... I'm looking for feedback not a chance to ridicule anyone[/quote]

At the moment I am looking to upgrade to a lightweight rig - so currently favouring the Epiphani UL410, and would run it with a Mesa Boogie Bass 400 +.

I remember playing thru Ped's old Boogie head, and it blew my socks off - valvey goodness at its best!

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='6674' date='May 25 2007, 05:27 PM']At the moment I am looking to upgrade to a lightweight rig - so currently favouring the Epiphani UL410, and would run it with a Mesa Boogie Bass 400 +.[/quote]

An anvil through a feather?

[quote name='G.S.T.Ring' post='6672' date='May 25 2007, 05:24 PM']As some/most of you may know, my rig was stolen recently.

All opinions will be treated with respect btw.... I'm looking for feedback not a chance to ridicule anyone[/quote]

Were you happy with your previous rig? (what was it, by the way?). If you liked it, why not buy it again?

As for what I'd consider essential, it would have to sound good! An open ended answer to an equally open-ended question. Being easy to carry around would also be a factor for me.

You'd be better off asking yourself these questions. What do YOU consider to be essential? What tone/feel are YOU after?

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='6674' date='May 25 2007, 05:27 PM']At the moment I am looking to upgrade to a lightweight rig - so currently favouring the Epiphani UL410, and would run it with a Mesa Boogie Bass 400 +.[/quote]

Hey Luke, I emailed Epifani after reading something on another forum and they replied:

"I hate to tell you that our cabinets are not formatted to work with tube
heads. The damping factor of the tubes make the speaker flop and more
subject to blow."

Thats why mines for sale :)

Simon.

I have Epifani UL210 and UL115 cabs which I first used with an Ampeg SVT3PRO (not really a full valve amp, but 3 in the pre amp and 2 in the power section). All seemed to be OK although a faint "tinkling" sound developed which became annoying in quiet playing situations. Had the amp serviced and it was still there to my ears although the engineers thought I was imagining things. Ended up changing to the SWR SM900 - no tinkle. Love the cabs for their tone and their lightness. Have seen posts strongly praising the UL310 even for use with 5 strings. Lots of other UL cabs about now, but Epifani were an early adopter of neodymium so there are more available second hand! NS

[quote name='Waldo' post='7688' date='May 27 2007, 04:11 PM']An idea of what budget you're would really would be useful.[/quote]

Budget, transport situation, gigging (or not) and style of music will all help in giving more informed advice.

Otherwise I'd just say Thunderfunk and Tech Soundsystems :)

I'll need to save up no matter what I want to get so budget isn't really a factor atm. I play mostly bluesy/rock stuff but I'm only doing session fill ins right now (I don't get enough time off from shift work to be gigging) so I only really need a practice rig.

My first bass was a LH Samick Pro Series which had a great sound for what I play, but they were hard to get 10 years ago and are almost impossible to find now due to the special order involved.

I really like some of the stuff in the review section, especially the Vintage Fender P... but haven't seen em over here as yet.

I drive an EB series 2 Falcon which used to fit a Marshall 6 x 10 cab & head with 2 flight cases thrown in too.

Hope this clarifies things?

[quote name='G.S.T.Ring' post='8004' date='May 28 2007, 11:28 AM']I'll need to save up no matter what I want to get so budget isn't really a factor atm. I play mostly bluesy/rock stuff but I'm only doing session fill ins right now (I don't get enough time off from shift work to be gigging) so I only really need a practice rig.

My first bass was a LH Samick Pro Series which had a great sound for what I play, but they were hard to get 10 years ago and are almost impossible to find now due to the special order involved.

I really like some of the stuff in the review section, especially the Vintage Fender P... but haven't seen em over here as yet.

I drive an EB series 2 Falcon which used to fit a Marshall 6 x 10 cab & head with 2 flight cases thrown in too.

Hope this clarifies things?[/quote]

Didn't know marshall made 6x10 cabs, you learn something new every day!

So budgest isn't an issue and you want a practice rig? Still a hard question without an idea of what you want to spend, I mean I could suggest that you get a a Gallien Kruger 2001RB head and a 4x12 cabinet or I could suggest that if you want a nice little practice combo with some cool effects built in, a Roland Cube.

Edited by Waldo

Well I consider tone and weight/size as my number one considerations.

After playing a few amps breifly and owning a markbass littlemark for a year I have gone to a Mesa walkabout head with a markbas cab. I think the cabs really clear and the heads similar sounding to the littlemark with alot more warmth and top keeps the definition but feels a little more deep and well filled out as well. I maybe building some BFM cabs though to try something new.

Gotta say if i was on a budget I wouldnt buy anything orther than the Littlemark head, and a cheaper cab.

+1 to that re the Mark Bass LMII amp= really versatile-tiny, light, powerful, sounds great! 2 x Aguilar GS112 cabs= IMHO terrific small, lite weight BIG sounding rig. Then U could also get a real valve amp & a Berg NV610 & be done with it! ;-)