Why become a member? ×

Amp-related I guess... transporting an 8x10"

Russ

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting myself an 8x10" cab (either the Ashdown MAG 8x10" or the Eden Nemesis one - the Bass Centre have great deals on both right now) - there's nothing like that trouser-flapping punch of one of those beasties behind you at a gig. I suspect, though, that I'll have to get a new car to drive it around in!

So, my question is, what's the smallest car any of you 8x10" users have managed to squeeze one in? I used to get my old Ampeg 6x10" in the back of a Punto, but we're probably talking a box that's a foot longer... I've no problem changing cars, but I'd rather not get an estate if I can help it... suggestions?

[quote name='nash' post='6707' date='May 25 2007, 06:26 PM']...and my marshall 8x10 in a ford ka (that was tight)[/quote]

:) How did that work? I've seen someone having trouble getting a 4x10" in the back of one!

I can't be driving with the driver's seat all the way forward and my knees up under my chin!

[quote name='nash' post='6707' date='May 25 2007, 06:26 PM']ive fitted an abm 8x10 in a metro with 2 people in the front.

and my marshall 8x10 in a ford ka (that was tight)[/quote]

When you say "in" the car, you mean with the boot open right?

Or perhaps without rear windows and the cab sitting across the car?

[quote name='Russ' post='6703' date='May 25 2007, 06:21 PM']I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting myself an 8x10" cab (either the Ashdown MAG 8x10" or the Eden Nemesis one - the Bass Centre have great deals on both right now) - there's nothing like that trouser-flapping punch of one of those beasties behind you at a gig. I suspect, though, that I'll have to get a new car to drive it around in!

So, my question is, what's the smallest car any of you 8x10" users have managed to squeeze one in? I used to get my old Ampeg 6x10" in the back of a Punto, but we're probably talking a box that's a foot longer... I've no problem changing cars, but I'd rather not get an estate if I can help it... suggestions?[/quote]

D'ya self a favour and save ya pennies for a cab with NEO speakers! If you like markbass, I think their 810 is about 40Kg or so.. The Ampeg must be getting on for double that? In my experinces of the Ashdown 8x10's, they did appear a little wooly in comparison and seemed to prefer a brighter bass to bring out the bite a bit more.

I had no problem getting a peavey 8x10 into the back of my old 306 with plenty of room to spare - but not recommended as a one person lift (although I did manage it when I had to!)... it sounded the mutts nutts though!

If you're prepared to spend a bit more than the Eden price, I'd also recommend the Tech Soundsystems 6x10 capable of doing exactly what the Bergantino can do.

30kg/66lb and 41" high x 21" wide x 17" deep, that 41" equates to the width of a VX Astra estate... yes I can get a 6x10, racked amp, band mixing desk (12 channel, full size in a box), effects board, leads case and a tribal planet gigbag/case, guitar and mic' stand all in the boot without dropping the rear seats.

Yeah, I've got my 8x10, head, two basses, two guitar combos (1x12") and some other stuff in a Nissan Micra. With 2 in the front!

OK, so I doubt the suspention was happy about it, and there was more than a little speedboating going on, but wheree there's a will there's a way!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='8456' date='May 29 2007, 06:52 AM']If you're prepared to spend a bit more than the Eden price, I'd also recommend the Tech Soundsystems 6x10 capable of doing exactly what the Bergantino can do.[/quote]

I like the sound of that but 3ohm or 6ohm according to the website spec? That's rather unusual, I'd have thought

[quote name='Muppet' post='8807' date='May 29 2007, 08:36 PM']I like the sound of that but 3ohm or 6ohm according to the website spec? That's rather unusual, I'd have thought[/quote]

Unusual but not problematic if you are only buying/running a single cab, asin my 6x10. Obviously 3 ohm is a no no if you have an amp that will operate at 4 ohm minimum (ie most amps). However the 6 ohm option is fine unless you intend trying to add another cab! As a stand alone cab I don't think you'd be able to perceive any difference in output between a 4 ohm and a 6 ohm cab, especially as the Tech cabs are a lot more sensitive than most 4ohm cabs. I certainly can't tell any difference whatsoever, I'm not having to turn the amp up any further then when using a 4 ohm cab.