Why become a member? ×

D'Addario Pro Steels

steve-soar

I used them for a long time and was very happy with them before moving completely to flatwounds. I don't think it was the Prosteels in particular (more roundwound strings in general) but I always found that the D and G strings had a different tone to the other two.

They're relatively inexpensive, so it may be worth picking up a set to see if you like them, and if not, it's a lesson learned for not too much cash?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='81325' date='Oct 30 2007, 04:28 PM']Thanks Lads. I think I'll be staying with the DR's. I get them from the States for $24.95 (£12.50) but with the extras you pay they work out a bit more.
The only trouble is the last time I orderd them they took nearly a month to arrive.[/quote]

Can I ask where you order yours from, Steve?

I've been using Pro Steels for a while on a GB Rumour and a Status Empathy. I get roughly 20 gigs out of a set although one set lasted 35 gigs before the slapability went......maybe it's me, my hands don't sweat much but I generally get 20 gigs out of any given set of strings anyway.

Love the strings, can't say enough good things about them. Buy one set and see how you get on.

Mike

I really like 'em - they sound great to my ears once they're 'worn in' which is exactly what I need and they're good value from stringbusters. Also they do an extra long scale which works great for 35" scale (probably do 36" too). I've been saving my player points, but unfortunately the freebies are a bit pants :)

Edited by G-bitch

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='steve-soar' post='81325' date='Oct 30 2007, 04:28 PM']Thanks Lads. I think I'll be staying with the DR's. I get them from the States for $24.95 (£12.50) but with the extras you pay they work out a bit more.
The only trouble is the last time I orderd them they took nearly a month to arrive.[/quote]

Try this guy on eBay - great prices for DR & other strings - & they've always arrived in a week or so. Highly recommended.
[url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MyMusicStuff"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MyMusicStuff[/url]

[quote name='jammie17' post='101986' date='Dec 10 2007, 02:30 AM']If I may, I'd like to add my review of D'Addario EXL170TP, Nickel Round Rounds, that I just got. I replaced Ernie Ball Super Slinkys of the same gauge with them. .045, .065, .080, .100. I got a "twin pack" for a couple dollars more than a pack of the Ernie Balls. The Slinkys have been a good set of strings, but the "e" string goes dead after a week or so. I play every day, for about 2 hours.

The D'Addarios are a lil more stiff than the Ernie Balls, but the tone more than makes up for that. What I noticed the most is the "evenness" of the strings. They all have the same power or output, and the "a" string really cuts through now. A fuller, richer tone is noticed with these new strings as compared to the slinkys. That is not necessarily a bad thing, as if you are a slapper, I'd go for the Slinkys...they have a "tinny" tone to them. But if you want a full, rich, cutting tone, (and what bassist doesn't) then get the D'Addarios.

As for the smooth or coarse issue, my fingers are so calloused, I could not tell the difference.[/quote]