Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Trace Elliot Super Tramp Tube Twin guitar combo

[b]***SOLD***[/b]

Bought this when I was 18 and playing guitar, back in 1998. It's a 100W (RMS) 2x12" guitar combo, made in the UK by the with an ECC83 valve in the preamp and a solid-state power section. These things are long discontinued, but the manual's [url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/TRAMP.PDF"]available here[/url]. Here's some of the bumf from it:
[quote][b]Circuit Design[/b]
Guitarists have always recognised the warmth, tone and responsive character of a valve amplifier. The Tramp Tube range achieves the ‘feel’ of a valve amplifier in three important ways:

Firstly, the main preamplifier overdrive gain is derived by using both halves of an ECC83 (12AX7) twin triode valve in a cascaded gain configuration (just like a high gain valve amp).

Secondly, no integrated circuits have been used anywhere in the circuit design. Instead, FETs have been used exclusively. An FET is a semiconductor device that inherently has many of the non-linear dynamic properties of a valve; it has a high input impedance and a soft asymmetrical overdrive characteristic that naturally adds a lot of even order harmonics and ‘warmth’ to the sound.

Thirdly, the 100% discrete power output stage has been designed to ‘couple loosely’ into the loudspeaker (akin to a valve output stage), giving a low ‘damping factor’, lots of warm bass resonance and ‘musical’ power amp overdrive.

The tone networks in the Tramp Tube are all of the traditional passive kind - this type of interactive EQ was chosen as the best and most natural sounding for an electric guitar. It has been designed to ‘colour’ the inherent character and tone of the guitar and amplifier, rather than radically or artificially change the fundamental sound.[/quote]
There are two channels (clean and drive) and the drive channel has a further "gain boost" that can be engaged. Included (along with the kettle lead) is the two-switch footswitch, labelled by my teenage self, which allows you to switch channel and switch the gain boost on/off. (If you stick the footswitch jack in the [i]other[/i] socket on the back, it'll let you control the spring reverb on/off and the volume boost.)

The Super Tramp Tube Twin is loud. Really loud. And the tone's sweet, with a lot of room in the EQ. In my teenage band, I used to go for sizzling highs and crunchy mids; more recently, I've used it as a heavily-scooped, bass-heavy second guitar amp for my stoner-doom band. It handled both with ease. This thing's served me well over the years, but it's taking up valuable space and I'm not going to need it in the foreseeable future. It's a fairly rare beast in excellent condition (only one little ding that I can find in the tolex -- see picture), and it's just been serviced by a local amp tech (needed a new output transistor). Honestly, with the condition it's in, you'd never guess that it's been rehearsed and gigged for 12 years on and off, not to mention the hauling around every time we've moved house.

I'm looking for [b][s]£200 delivered in the UK[/s] ***SOLD***[/b] -- I'm happy to deliver in person or meet up within a sensible radius (I'm in Corbridge, Northumberland), and we could knock a bit off to reflect the lack of courier costs!

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='P-T-P' post='734166' date='Feb 3 2010, 03:53 PM']How heavy is this beast and how loud does the clean channel go before it starts to break up?[/quote]
In the grand scheme of things, not [i]that[/i] heavy; around 25kg, IIRC. I can get it on the bathroom scales tonight for a better figure.

In my experience gigging it in small venues in my teenage years (ah, the memories), I always kept the clean channel gain down and turned the master volume up. (The clean channel starts to drive nicely beyond about 2 or 3 o'clock.) If you add in the volume boost knob, that takes it into silly-loud territory. So you can get it [i]pretty[/i] clean and loud. However, if you're playing loud, it's never going to be ultra-clean, because the power stage is quite happy to clip too. It's a really lovely, "musical", fat warmth, rather than a grind or anything like that, from both the pre and power stages (unless you're driving it hard, and then it'll grind happily).

In summary, for small venues it's clean [i]enough[/i] and very loud. I'm probably not the best judge, though, because back then it was all Oasis-style crunch and thickness. :) For that kind of stuff, it's superb.

Edited by BottomEndian

• 2 months later...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='734184' date='Feb 3 2010, 05:15 PM']In the grand scheme of things, not [i]that[/i] heavy; around 25kg, IIRC. I can get it on the bathroom scales tonight for a better figure.[/quote]
Well, that was the longest night of my life. :rolleyes: Hmmm. No, I just completely forgot about this. :)

Got it on the bathroom scales this morning. Around 28/29 kg. So... er... BUMP!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

[quote name='gerdundula' post='1117593' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:56 PM']Ah well, never mind. There's one on ebay at the moment which seems to be yours - the photos are identical![/quote]
Thanks for the heads-up. That's [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACE-ELLIOT-SUPER-TRAMP-TWIN-GUITAR-AMP-/280623622828"]one cheeky f***er[/url]! Those are indeed my pictures, but it most certainly not my (ex-)amp for sale. Grrr... I'm off to kick up a fuss on eBay now. :)