Why become a member? ×

suggested finishes???

lovedub

I recently bought an old maple neck from a car boot sale. I'm going to refurbish it, I'll also be looking to finish a body soon so I was wondering about finishes.

I don't want to go down the nitro-cellulose route.

I particularly like the finish on Warwick basses

Any suggestions on products and processes, their virtues and failings, generally?

Thanks

Edited by lovedub

Liberon Tung oil, followed by a good beeswax polish for the body (not neck). The Warwick wax is good, but expensive and doesn't build up as quickly as a furniture polish. Avoid anything containing silicon (that goes for life in general..). Read and follow the instructions.

You can also use gunstock oil (Musicman do) - but it seems to contain more "nasties"?

BB

My Dingwall's finish is tung oil, so, although I don't have any direct experience of applying it, I can also suggest it based on the result. (edit: I'm also a fan of warwick's finish, and if you don't apply many coats it shouldn't be that far from that)

Edited by Dragonlord

Danish oil gives a good finish and is easy to apply, gun stock oil is a little tricker and tends to be a slower process but will give a great finish.

If you want and oiled look but a bit tougher you could consider spraying with a two part lacquer like rusitns plastic coating, just a couple of coats of this will leave coarse grain features of the wood showing through giving a oil like textured finish but it will be a lot tougher.

Pete

Good suggestion there on the Rustins "plastic coating" - if you thin it down a lot (and wipe on) it can give an oil look, but with a permanent seal that requires no upkeep. I've only done this once (a maple fboard J neck) and it looked and felt good, took about two years to look grubby. I guess you could then lightly sand and re-apply a fresh coat.

Mr Foxen - I had no idea there was a Wish bass so close to home! We must meet up at some point......

BB

Edited by BassBod