Why become a member? ×

Too young to start..........

L-mac

my 10 year old boy has been pestering me to get him a bass for the last year.

he is currently learning piano - to a reasonable standard - grade 3 jazz.

I am deciding what to do.........

- keep encouraging him on the piano so he gets a really strong foundation in theory, sight reading, etc. He can pick up bass later on with the advantage of a great grounding in music theory.

- or let him go with his heart - get him a bass and find him a tutor

(doing both is not an option)

thoughts?

I got my first bass aged 10. I was learning trumpet at the time but my heart wasn't in it, and my dad got me my first bass for my birthday. I've been hooked on making music for the last 12 years, but if I'd carried on without a bass I doubt I would have continued with the trumpet, and perhaps not been interested in keeping on with music generally.

I now play a number of instruments, have played in many bands and have loved every bit of it, and don't know much theory at all. Its not essential.

Get a short scale instrument like an EB0 or a little Squier & send him to someone who teaches proper technique & reading. There's no substitute for a good technique to build upon and grow from :)

My best string players have been the people who did some piano first. Seems to give an excellent grounding. Carrying on the piano lessons is a good idea, too. At least to about AB Grade 2.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Piano's good thing about theory, it also has some similarities with bass ( such as finger development and so on), but why do you reject option - playing piano & bass together?
I don't think 10 year-old boy could be that busy ( as I think, I'm busy, so I don't have time to sit by piano... I'm sure I'd need to do it, after playing it for 8 years). Or maybe young boy is too.. umm, young to undertake both instruments seriously, that's a strong option, truly. I don't know other possible options, so, warn me, if I'm wrong.

In my case, I'd possibly give him bass to play. Due to distressing myself now, because I didn't start to play it in young days.

thanks for the thoughts guys. I think you are right - if his heart is in bass thats the way to go (with a good tutor so he doesnt pick up his old man's sloppy technique!)

faithless - not so much about whether the boy has the time, more about the dads finances to pay for the lessons & dads time to get him to/from lessons

thanks again.

[quote name='L-mac' post='80491' date='Oct 28 2007, 06:39 PM']not so much about whether the boy has the time, more about the dads finances to pay for the lessons & dads time to get him to/from lessons

thanks again.[/quote]

Umm, yep, it came out of my mind... By the way, what "direct" music your boy is interested in, if he is?

[quote name='MB1' post='80742' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:39 AM']Keep up with the piano lessons and send him to cheathams,never did me any harm![/quote]

My drummer went to Chethams! He finished this summer.

I'd say buy him a decent entry-level bass and find him a good tutor. Also buy him a good theory book - he can work on that himself, working some things out on piano.

My gut says stick with piano. Although, if he's been persistent with requests to learn bass it might be best for him.

Gah, that's a horrible situation.

I played piano for a short while when I was 8 and quickly gave it up. I really regret it now and I would regret it more so if I had gotten to a competent level. I've just started learning somemusic on piano and it pains me to think how good I would be if I had stuck at it for 10 years. But I wasn't interested at the time. If your lad still enjoys practicing and learning piano despite a pining for bass, I would urge him to carry on with piano.

I'm sure a lot of the best bassists were ex-pianists/organists (Steely Dan, Zeppelin...).

I reckon there are ways of doing both though. Perhaps just suggesting learning the notes on the fingerboard or theory that's shared with both instruments.

personally, i'd get him to start on guitar then bass when he gets a decent understanding of guitar. bass would be much harder to learn than guitar to start with, and i doubt there are many on here that didn't start on guitar. i understand if he doesn't want to play guitar or something, it was just a thought that popped into my head when i read this thread.

EDIT: i just want to add that i don't think he's too young to start, either, and that i don't think its a matter of age at all, i started when I was eleven, so not much older than him.

Edited by lwtait

Which one's his heart in? Piano or Bass?

Music's like sport.....a common goal for the pusuit as a whole, but different techinque for each discipline.

If your son wanted to take up ice hockey would you make him play football instead because it is the more popular sport?

IMHO playing piano (which I had to do for ten years) does not make you better at other instruments, if anything it made the transition to strings harder for me (why can you play the same note/chord in several different places, coordinating two hands to play one note etc etc). It is great for theory though (which if he's got grade three in jazz piano he's got enough technique to explore the rest of theory).

Do you own a bass, L-mac? Do you own more than one bass?

Why don't you keep sending him to piano lessons for the theory'n'schooling etc etc, but let him noodle around on your basses at home and grab tabs off the net for music he likes etc? That way he's learning theory that'll be useful later on, and still have the bass as a 'fun' instrument with none of the associactions of homework etc.

I played trombone at school and hated every minute of it. My brother got a guitar and I learned to play Oasis songs on it. Never looked back. Not progressed far, though!

I've never had any lessons at all (I used to go to keyboard classes a couple of years ago though) and I've learned plenty of theory for myself - if I were you I'd just get him a decent cheap bass to play (he shouldn't need lessons or much encouragement if he's been pestering you for a year :)) and let him carry on with the piano lessons as well - much better to be playing an instrument he's enthusiastic about and he won't thank you later on for stopping him playing bass now! I wish my parents had got me into it much much earlier

[quote name='clauster' post='81006' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:37 PM']IMHO playing piano (which I had to do for ten years) does not make you better at other instruments, if anything it made the transition to strings harder for me (why can you play the same note/chord in several different places, coordinating two hands to play one note etc etc). It is great for theory though (which if he's got grade three in jazz piano he's got enough technique to explore the rest of theory).[/quote]

I disagree there, i played for 3 years before i picked up bass. Certainly taught me a lot about music and theory, and the extra hand dexterity helped. It doesn't help with the basics of bass playing like fretting noted and your picking action but of course there's more to being a musician than that.

I respect a lot of the comments but I think if you're going to take on a new instrument you have to get the foundation right. L-mac knows this and that's why it's such a difficult decision.

As I mentioned; I think if he started learning the notes on the fingerboard and then thumb-picking along to some simple notation whilst ensuring the one finger per fret rule is enforced - what harm could come? Perhaps you could ask his teacher what piano theory he has learned will smoothly transfer to bass (if that's kosher).

If he sticks at and continually shows interest and progress, you'll both be able to make a more informed decision.

Guys
thanks for all the input, ideas and advice - am loving this community!

what I've decided is............

he sticks with piano lessons, plus I get him a bass of his own and I teach him some basics. If after 6 months - once the novelty factor has gone - and his heart is really with the bass, then he can drop piano and concentrate on bass.

so all I need to do now is find him a 1/2 or 3/4 scale bass - he is just too small to handle any of my full scale basses.

Thanks again & I will let you know how he gets on!

cheers

L