Why become a member? ×

Dodgy strap.

beerdragon

Halfway through the second song at our gig last night my bass just fell off at the bottom end, luckily i was holding on to the neck and had to hold it up with my knee, looked a right burk :) as luck would have it it was a small pub and i could lean against some seating. i have straplocks on but the only thing i can think off is that the hole must have enlarged itself, i have the lead tucked through also. it's one of those cheapish Fender ones. so time for a decent strap. lesson learnt.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='80508' date='Oct 28 2007, 05:30 PM']Yeah i saw a picture of Flea on Mag cover with that, my first thought was that straps not going anywhere, but it did'nt do help esthetically for the bass[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean, but neither will a nasty big dent resulting from it crashing to the ground.

What I did was glue the screw into the body, it wasn't actually superglue, but something called "sticks like sh*t", that's actually what it's called.

The last time I put straplocks on I just smeared some of that around the twirly bit of the screw prior to screwing it in.

ive got dunlop strap locks. The metal bit on the end of the straps wont come off and neither will the metal blobs(what they called?) that screw into the bass. the only way it will let me down is a) the strap breaks- not likely, or :) the screw becomes compleatly ripped out of the wood. not going to happen.

[quote name='6stringbassist' date='Oct 28 2007, 05:18 PM' post='80504']
Do what Stanley Clarke does, just screw your strap onto your bass with a large washer, it should never come off then.

MB1. :)

This could be financially quite upsetting to do unless you are Stanley Clarke,rumour had it that it didnt impress Alembic much either, hed also had the neck spokeshaved and not by Alembic .Custom made tools of the trade to Stanley,but id still say the strap buttons are in the wrong place on that Stanley Clarke signature. What an Alembic Gripe?

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='80518' date='Oct 28 2007, 06:58 PM']What I did was glue the screw into the body, it wasn't actually superglue, but something called "sticks like sh*t", that's actually what it's called.[/quote]

+1 on that
That stuff is great and not just because of its name :) - It grips under water for those Deep Sea Jiver's gigs and gluing the gutters in the rain...

After having a bass that kept on undoing its own strap lock screws I always check mine for looseness as I put the bass on.
I have also glued the strap lock screws into the bass with Evostick wood glue.