Why become a member? ×

Showcase Sunday

niceguyhomer

Just got home after doing a showcase at the British Legion in Leyland and what an ordeal - I'm knackered. Five acts turned up at 11.30 with all the gear under the sun, told that the first act has to go on at 12.30 after the hot pot - oh and by the way, did I mention that our band was last on at 3.30? No time for anyone to do a proper soundcheck either.

Three solo artists and a three piece band (no drums) led the proceedings (25 mins each) - all with f. backing tapes and huge PAs (can't believe that we couldn't agree that only one PA should do everyone but there ya go). We just took our small PA and tops only - no bass bins and we had a hard time filling a big room with our sound...BUT at least we did get 'em up dancing.

We got two bookings immediately after the show so it was probably worth it but what a nightmare. The only positive I can draw from the experience is it did actually help to reaffirm my heartfelt opinion that people who use backing tapes should be taken outside and flogged with a sh1tty stick. Bogus...totally f. bogus indeed.

Ah well, life goes on - gotta go and cook Sunday dinner now.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='80509' date='Oct 28 2007, 05:34 PM']people who use backing tapes should be taken outside and flogged with a sh1tty stick. Bogus...totally f. bogus indeed.[/quote]
It really p155es me off when 'buskers' in the local high street use a bigger PA than I've used on some gigs meaning you can't get away from their stangulated Celene Dion & Phil Collins karaoke.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='80509' date='Oct 28 2007, 05:34 PM']Just got home after doing a showcase at the British Legion in Leyland and what an ordeal - I'm knackered. Five acts turned up at 11.30 with all the gear under the sun, told that the first act has to go on at 12.30 after the hot pot - oh and by the way, did I mention that our band was last on at 3.30? No time for anyone to do a proper soundcheck either.

Three solo artists and a three piece band (no drums) led the proceedings (25 mins each) - all with f. backing tapes and huge PAs (can't believe that we couldn't agree that only one PA should do everyone but there ya go). We just took our small PA and tops only - no bass bins and we had a hard time filling a big room with our sound...BUT at least we did get 'em up dancing.

We got two bookings immediately after the show so it was probably worth it but what a nightmare. The only positive I can draw from the experience is it did actually help to reaffirm my heartfelt opinion that people who use backing tapes should be taken outside and flogged with a sh1tty stick. Bogus...totally f. bogus indeed.

Ah well, life goes on - gotta go and cook Sunday dinner now.[/quote]
I think most of us have had similar experiences Al, so commisserations and also congratulations for getting something positive out of it! Definitely sounds a bit Phoenix Nights as Matt said...

Am totally with you on the 'backing tapes' issue BTW!. As well as doling out said punishment there, someone should also shoot the booker/organiser at the British Legion.. How often have you heard that story where someone who knows nothing about musicians and equipment is given the job of booking and organising the entertainment, only to completely b***s it up!

Nik