Why become a member? ×

mim jazz Vs levinson blade

johnny_frog

Hello all... I'm a short time lurker, first time poster and I wonder if anyone here could give me some advice.

I've managed to get enough cash together to buy a half way decent bass, I've got around £500 to spend.

Now I was all set to get a MIM jazz from GAK when I spotted that they are selling the levinson blade tetra standard for as near as dammit the same price.

I've tried the jazz and it fits nice and I like the neck and the tone, but I can't get hold of a blade to try before I buy.

Anyone have any opinions over which would be the better buy?

I'm not fussed over things like resale value or anything like that.

thanks in advance,

Frog

Levinsons are very consistent quality-wise, where Mexican (and American) Fenders can be very hit & miss.

I haven't played one of the newer Blades but I played a Levinson B4 jazz bass for 20 years & it was superb. Absolutely fantastic build quality. I only sold it because I find Jazz bass necks too narrow these days.

I still play a Levinson Strat type guitar & that is also a superb instrument - better than any Fender Strat I've played.

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='732882' date='Feb 2 2010, 01:17 PM']Hello all... I'm a short time lurker, first time poster and I wonder if anyone here could give me some advice.

I've managed to get enough cash together to buy a half way decent bass, I've got around £500 to spend.

Now I was all set to get a MIM jazz from GAK when I spotted that they are selling the levinson blade tetra standard for as near as dammit the same price.

I've tried the jazz and it fits nice and I like the neck and the tone, but I can't get hold of a blade to try before I buy.

Anyone have any opinions over which would be the better buy?

I'm not fussed over things like resale value or anything like that.

thanks in advance,

Frog[/quote]

I think with £500 to spend, I'd get a Squier VMJ over a MIM and possibly upgrade the tuners and bridge, maybe even the pups and tronics, but they are very good apparently - Duncan designed.

Blades are everything Rhys says, as far as I know. I have been very impressed with the two I have played in the past.

You can get a LOT with £500, check out the Basschat for sale area, you may even get a USA Jazz for that. or for about £350-£400 a cracking MIJ.

And welcome to BC mate.

Edited by silddx

I've only tried one Levinson Blade, and that was £900 second hand (at the Bass Merchant), so could possibly be a different model, but I thought it was great!
If I didn't dislike active basses a great deal, I would have seriously considered it because the neck and general feel was excellent.
Definitly would have one over a MIM. But for £500 you're almost in second hand US Fender territory, so maybe save up some more to broaden your choices!?

Si

[quote name='silddx' post='733111' date='Feb 2 2010, 04:27 PM']You can get a LOT with £500, check out the Basschat for sale area, you may even get a USA Jazz for that. or for about £350-£400 a cracking MIJ.[/quote]

+1
Definitely worth keeping an eye on the forum "For Sale" section.

I have a 2009 MIM P, so I can only comment on new MIMs in general

I really love mine, obviously as someone said above you can get alot for that money 2nd hand, but in my case I really wanted the finish and maple board the MIM was offering at the time, so although I may have got something = to or better for the £400 i spent, I am however very happy with the bass indeed

I know thats not quite what you where asking, but hope it helps

Edited by lojo

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='736887' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:16 AM']Nice Blade B2 on t'Bay here........

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEVINSON-BLADE-B2-BASS-GUITAR-SWISS_W0QQitemZ220551980541QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3359ec25fd"]Clickhere[/url]

BB[/quote]

That's a non-original Badass bridge. The original - whilst looking oure '80s - is fairly heavy duty and good for sustain so I can't imagin why there's a Badass on this.

[quote name='Stacker' post='737030' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:30 AM']That's a non-original Badass bridge. The original - whilst looking oure '80s - is fairly heavy duty and good for sustain so I can't imagin why there's a Badass on this.[/quote]
+1
The original bridges were made by Gotoh and are excellent, replacing it with a Badass would be a pointless exercise IMO.

500 quid...

Get out there, try a whole load of basses above that price bracket. Find your favourite features and see what you can get with your budget.

Honetly, check out the for sales here.

Otherwise i would be shocked if u couldnt find the jazz for around 350 new instead of 500.

Also check out warwick. They were the joker in the pack for me. I tried one fully ready to hate it and it was one of the best i have played! It inspired my custom build in all but aesthetics :)

hang onto your cash and take your time. Otherwise you might end up kicking yourself