Why become a member? ×

Ricky Blackstar

Marky L

Has anyone on here ever owned one of these fellas? I think I got the name right. Basically as I understand it was a limited ed Ricky 4001(?) finished all in black with tiny little micro dot markers and all the chrome bits were black or smoked? The whole deal was just very... black :)

I remember missing one on ebay about 4 years back and bought a F Jazz which is decidedly dodgy (see seperate post when I can be bothered!).

Anyway, I loved the look of it and wish I'd got my hands on it. Just wondering if anyone had personal experience of it.

M

I'd try the rickenbacker or rickresource forums if I were you (also more likely that one will come up for sale on there)

I think you're right in that they're a LE 4001 completely in black as are a totally red with black hardware and binding model (which I've only seen 1 picture of and can't remember the name) and the tuxedo which is white with black hardware and binding

what really differentiates these limited editions from all the rest is the colour coded fretboard... ie the blackstar has a black fretboard

not seen one for sale for a long time... they're like rocking horse s**t... I'd expect a price tag at least in the 2500-3000 pound bracket possibly twice that... they're undoubtedly rarer than the 4005 (basically a 360 bass) and those go for about 3k when you can find one

I'm pretty sure that there were less than 100 of each of these models produced

maybe a better bet is to just find a similar age 4001 in a colour that's not impossible to find as other than the finish they are identical to the stock 4001

Edited by SkiingLizard

Mmm.. makes me wonder about the one on ebay those years back.. it went for under a grand I'm sure. Oh well, I don't need one... just WANT!!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='80953' date='Oct 29 2007, 07:23 PM']Don't know about the Rick markyL, But 10/10 for the scariest Avatar. :huh:[/quote]

Ha! That's baby Chump Manbear!! I did almost succeed once in convincing someone that it was a pic of one of my kids :)

4003's sometimes go for under a grand... (I got mine off ebay in Jan for just over 600 quid - Montezuma Brown - not the nicest colour, but a rare colour of the year - a bit beaten up but plays well and sounds great) and if it's a very recent model they have a vintage tone setting so that they sound like 4001's

Edited by SkiingLizard

I had one of these very basses a few years ago. Essentially they were just a limited run of a basic 4003, mine had the certificate proclaiming it to be one of only 199 made, or some such number. They made a white one too if I remember rightly.

Apart from its undoubtedly considerable blackness and small dot markers, it was just another 4003. This was the only Rick I've had - after lusting after since I was very young, I discovered their complete unsuitability for my playing style :) Great with a pick though.

Sold it in 2002 on ebay for eight hundred and something... Perhaps this was the one you remember?

B

[attachment=3154:rick_blackstar1.jpg]

[attachment=3155:rick_blackstar2.jpg]

[attachment=3156:rick_blackstar3.jpg]

[quote name='Alemboid' post='81220' date='Oct 30 2007, 12:54 PM']I had one of these very basses a few years ago. Essentially they were just a limited run of a basic 4003, mine had the certificate proclaiming it to be one of only 199 made, or some such number. They made a white one too if I remember rightly.

Apart from its undoubtedly considerable blackness and small dot markers, it was just another 4003. This was the only Rick I've had - after lusting after since I was very young, I discovered their complete unsuitability for my playing style :) Great with a pick though.

Sold it in 2002 on ebay for eight hundred and something... Perhaps this was the one you remember?

B

[attachment=3154:rick_blackstar1.jpg]

[attachment=3155:rick_blackstar2.jpg]

[attachment=3156:rick_blackstar3.jpg][/quote]

Oh bloody hell, that was it I'm sure!! Did it sell to some one in the Oxford area or were you from there?

Yup, I fancied having a 4001 for a long time and when I discovered the Blackstar then it was THE obvious choice. I'm still pi**ed that I missed it.

Thanks for posting the pics too :huh:

M.

[quote name='Marky L' post='81251' date='Oct 30 2007, 01:58 PM']Oh bloody hell, that was it I'm sure!! Did it sell to some one in the Oxford area or were you from there?

Yup, I fancied having a 4001 for a long time and when I discovered the Blackstar then it was THE obvious choice. I'm still pi**ed that I missed it.

Thanks for posting the pics too :huh:

M.[/quote]

Ah, funny you should remember the bass after all this time. I'm from around Oxford, the guy I sold it to was from Essex/Herts or somewhere around there (we met up on the M25 services...). I think he then re-sold it a while later, again on ebay. I only know this because the second highest bidder from my original listing emailed me to say that the chap had re-used (ie nicked) my photos for his listing :)

Knew I had the pics somewhere in the vault of previous basses. There have been so many.

It was a good bass, and rare, just not for me as it turns out.

B.

I've been kicking myself for years about not bidding more for it. I only bid a lowish bid and got way laid by a Fender Jazz in Ireland.

Well, thanks for letting me know, in a weird way I feel a bit better about it having spoken with you now. Sort of makes the pain of missing it a bit better!!! :) :huh:

My search will continue....

Cheers

M.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Alemboid' post='82468' date='Nov 1 2007, 01:23 PM']"Redneck" - irony in the US isn't as dead as I thought :)

Marky L: Sounds like it would have been good if you'd won that bass. I regret that I've never 'met' another one...

B[/quote]

I had one about 6 years ago I got from Steve "Dude" Barr, traded in a LP bass for it. Had it for a few months and traded it for a Lakland 4-94 that I eventually traded off as well. He told me to put the Blackstar under the bed, hang on to it, that it was collectible. Did I listen? Oh noooooooooo...........

Now I see them going on ebay for $3-4000......"sigh"

Edited by rockinrayduke