Why become a member? ×

Just want to say "Hi!"

Painless

Hi everyone!

I just found basstalk / basschat a few days ago and wanted to register and say "Hi" plus tell you all a bit about myself:

I'm a 37 year old brit that moved to the USA just over 4 years ago and have been playing guitar for about 6 years now, about a year and a half ago my daughter bought me my first bass, a squier p-bass, and I've picked up a six-string about 3 times since. In short, I'm hooked! I *LOVE* bass and have no desire to play six-string anymore.

I recently became the proud owner of a 2002 Fender Jazz Bass Fretless (the Squier sounds terrible) which I've modded as follows:

LQ Bad Ass bridge (I can't believe how much difference this makes to the tone and sustain!)
SD Basslines pickups (quarter pounders)
Graphtec nut (some animal had mutilated the old nut)
Rotosound jazz flatwounds
Perl pickguard (Ok, it doesn't change the sound, but it makes me feel better about the cyan body colour!)

The only amplification I have at the moment is a Line6 guitarport running the basspack models feeding through a traditional stereo (had to leave my beloved Marshall JCM900 in England, but I play bass now so chin up, right?), hoping to change this soon as I have my eye on the Line6 lowdown series of combo's.

My favourite musical style to play and listen to is blues, blues, blues... Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, Creme, Dave Hole, Watermelon Slim. I don't get a lot of time to practice, often only once or twice a week due to my horrible work schedule, but enjoy the time I do get.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

welcome to basschat.

You must have either started breeding young or pay your kids a LOT of pocket money if your daughter bought you a bass! (I'm also 37 but my daughters, 4 & 6, have not yet bought me any musical instruments - I must speak to them about this....)

As long as you enjoy your bass playing not much else matters IMHO.

enjoy the forum,

elom

[quote name='elom' post='6932' date='May 25 2007, 07:20 PM']You must have either started breeding young or pay your kids a LOT of pocket money if your daughter bought you a bass! (I'm also 37 but my daughters, 4 & 6, have not yet bought me any musical instruments - I must speak to them about this....)[/quote]
My (step)daughter is 19, she bought me a 3 axe stand for my birthday followed by the squier (used) for xmas. I have to say that the bass was the most jaw dropping pressie anyone ever bought me.

[quote name='elom' post='6932' date='May 25 2007, 07:20 PM']As long as you enjoy your bass playing not much else matters IMHO.[/quote]
Never was a truer word spoken, just wish I could find more time / people to play with.

Thanks for the welcome peeps!