Why become a member? ×

Pre-gig contacts?

Cantdosleepy

I was just reading a thread about lending gear and protocols about that, and some people said it was fine if the other bands made an effort to contact first etc etc.

For those of you who gig regularly, do you have a policy on scoping out venues, e-mailing other bands on the bill to discuss equipment etc? Or does the venue control those things? Or are you organising your own bills/nights?

I've played in a few low-level bands where we'd be crammed onto small stages, but have pretty much only played with buddies on the bill so none of this has been an issue.

What do you guys do?

we'll usually make some effort to contact or request that the promoter contacts the other bands for a drum kit share if necessary. If I know the bass player in the other band personally, then I'll either offer them the use of my rig or ask them nicely in advance of the gig if I can have a lend of theirs. Don't really have any need to scope out a venue - most of the places we play, we've played before!

Yes its rarely the venue that does any contacting with the circuit my original band is on. Its all Promoters.

But yes, most bands including us makes a point of sorting out kit shares way before the date, that way theres not surprises and i don't get annoyed at the gig :)

Si

I'll always contact others bands before via myspace (if they don't contact me first), or get their contact details from the promoter if I can't find them there. A lot of the venues I play usually expect sharing of drums anyway, so I'll ask about backline as well. Most often people want to bring their own amps, but if they want to use mine it's not a problem. Aside from the practical side of sorting out the drums, it's just basic courtesy really. As I said in the other thread, it really annoys me when people turn up with no backline - not because I won't (eventually) let them use my amp, I just feel it's taking the p*ss.

I never bother checking out a venue - I'll take the same kit regardless. I do check up on promoters if they've contacted us though - some are notorious shysters.

Man, the amount of times i get bands asking to use my/our equipment on the night. At the last gig we ALL lent our gear out and we're talking expensive gear, Handmade/wired Hiwatt guitar amp, my Ampeg bass amp etc..

I asked the guy where he came from (perhaps they're from out of town, fair enough). London, was the answer. Riiiight. I thought. We don't have a van, he said. Neither do i FFS! i spend money on a cab, to and from the damn venue, to get me and my gear there!!! For what, so i can supply my gear for some "can't be arsed" idiot?!?! THIS really gets my goat.

Edited by Tee

So far I haven't had anyone asking to borrow my gear. We did get someone asking to borrow our keyboard stand once. We never got that back.

We also supplied a drum kit at a gig after the promoter had trouble getting one (and asked all the bands if they could bring one). The other bands then complained about the drum kit to me. I just stared at them blankly as if they weren't speaking.

If you can't be arsed to bring any equipment, don't complain if:
1. no equipment is provided,
2. the equipment provided isn't to your liking.

Some promoters actively encourage bands to agree on sharing equipment beforehand. It's a sensible policy but even then, you'd be amazed how many bands don't respond to emails and then turn up at gigs asking what the equipment situation is. Cue my blank stare.

i played a gig where the promoter was quite organised. he would provide a drum kit, we were asked to provide a bass amp and the other lot, who are a reasonably local big band agreed to bring a guitar amp through from glasgow. They turn up two hours late sans guitar amp. promoter was not happy.
Its nice to share tho. We headlined king tuts having played inverness the night before and getting the megabus through and borrowed all the backline off the other band (Pooch) all fun.

Always contact before hand though. Even if it just to say hi it makes everything go so much nicer.

I always contact everyone beforehand, and always try and arrange it so as much as possible is shared. I'm always happy to let people use my amp (honestly - if someone can damage my amp by playing through it, it means it's a cr*p amp and I need a different one). Having the same gear on-stage helps the soundman and cuts down changeover times, so less of the other bands' mates have left by the time you start.

What annoys me is bands who won't get in contact beforehand, and then make demands on the day.