Why become a member? ×

Hissing Tweeter on my GK RBH Cab

Mooey

I have recently started using a Gallien Krueger 700RB II with 2 x 10 RBH cab. Absolutely love it but from new have noticed a loud hissing from the tweeter. I run the cab using the Speakon cable supplied by GK (ie the tweeter is only powered by the seperate 50w amp in the head) but the hiss is loud!! I can use the tweeter cut to reduce (but not remove) the hiss but this really effects my tone. I am running the tweeter at about 11 o-clock, so not an excessive setting really.

Don't really notice this whilst gigging but during set-up I can hear it from 20ft away!

Can anyone help - Am I just being picky (afterall it is drowned out by the rest of the band) or is there a fault with the AMP / CAB. - As I say, this rig is BRAND NEW (about 2 months).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mooey' post='81234' date='Oct 30 2007, 01:21 PM']I have recently started using a Gallien Krueger 700RB II with 2 x 10 RBH cab. Absolutely love it but from new have noticed a loud hissing from the tweeter. I run the cab using the Speakon cable supplied by GK (ie the tweeter is only powered by the seperate 50w amp in the head) but the hiss is loud!! I can use the tweeter cut to reduce (but not remove) the hiss but this really effects my tone. I am running the tweeter at about 11 o-clock, so not an excessive setting really.

Don't really notice this whilst gigging but during set-up I can hear it from 20ft away!

Can anyone help - Am I just being picky (afterall it is drowned out by the rest of the band) or is there a fault with the AMP / CAB. - As I say, this rig is BRAND NEW (about 2 months).[/quote]

won't be the cab, could be the amp or guitar if it's active.

does the hiss reduce when you turn down the master volume? - if so then its' source is before that.

does the hiss reduce when you turn down the input gain? if so then the source is before the gain control.

Do you get the hiss with the guitar removed? if yes, then it's the amp, if no then it's the guitar.

hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1