Why become a member? ×

Best way to drill hole for pot

Pbassred

I need to mount an extra pot through the bass body. All of the others are resessed ( i.e counterbored) into the electrics bay. The pot has a 10 mm thread and the body of the pot needs 25mm. I will hand drill it with a big brace and bit, but what about the drill bit itself. What type do I need?

There is the flat type which I often see used on chipboard, and there is the old fashioned spiral kind. The spiral ones are the type I associate with hand drills but I'm a metal worker, not a woodman. I just know that I need to cut a clean hole with a clean, flat bottom.

[quote name='Pbassred' post='81243' date='Oct 30 2007, 01:37 PM']I need to mount an extra pot through the bass body. All of the others are resessed ( i.e counterbored) into the electrics bay. The pot has a 10 mm thread and the body of the pot needs 25mm. I will hand drill it with a big brace and bit, but what about the drill bit itself. What type do I need?

There is the flat type which I often see used on chipboard, and there is the old fashioned spiral kind. The spiral ones are the type I associate with hand drills but I'm a metal worker, not a woodman. I just know that I need to cut a clean hole with a clean, flat bottom.[/quote]

You need a Forstner bit of the appropriate diameter. They drill nice clean holes with flat bottoms. I used one to sink the bushings for a neck mount I'm about to do, and it ended up like this:

This is a forstner bit:

This is one in action:

That the kind of thing you mean?

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='84452' date='Nov 6 2007, 03:26 PM']I'd be inclined to use that bit in a hand powered tool rather than a powertool... you just know you'll give it a bit too much pressure :)[/quote]

I've got a vertical drill press, so all the control is in the wheel on the side. I don't think I'd be too keen on using one in a standalone power drill either. To be fair though, they don't cut that fast. You shouldn't be applying too much pressure anyway - let the bit do most of the work.