Why become a member? ×

Vintage basses of tomorrow

paul, the

I'll just list the things I think have potential. I think most have been covered above, actually. And, to be honest, most of what I'm listing is already attracting attention.

MusicMan - there's already a growing interest in pre-EB Stingrays. The graphite neck Cutlass demands a lot of interest as well.

Wal - obvious!

Status - I think the earlier instruments will attract interest, say up to '88 or so. I'm thinking of the classic designs, the Series II and 2000.

Steinberger - Already interest in L series (not the "XL", but the "L"), trans trem models and custom colours

Fender - the Precision Special and Precision Elite, especially the walnut versions. Also, the original vintage basses they produced around the same time (around 1980 or so).

Ibanez - definitely the Musician. Also some of the earlier Fender copies

Tobias - the pre-Gibson stuff is already attracting attention

Gibson - probably one of my only original thoughts, and more of a prediction, but I think Grabbers and Rippers will get more attention, as well as the Moog equipped instruments (the RD Artist and Victory Artist)

Somebody mentioned DeArmond Pilots above. Personally, I couldn't see them taking off, but I could definitely see the original Guild versions getting some attention.

Roland - already some interest in the synth basses.

[quote name='paul, the' post='8181' date='May 28 2007, 04:23 PM']I recently realised I knew nothing about my bass, so I thought I would do some research.

I think my bass would be a contender if anyone knew they existed.

---

It's a 1997 Californian Series Precision special. The model was only made for two years between 1996 and 1998 and features passive vintage p/j pickups.

And it receives healthy reviews on harmony-central

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Fender/California+Precision+Bass+Special/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ss+Special/10/1[/url]

This one isn't mine, but I hope to spray it this colour or dark brown.

blimey, you learn something every day,i did'nt realise you could get plugs like that for a bass.

Would putting covers on detract from its value?

Does anyone know where you can get those spots/inserts shown on the first picture to cover the drill holes for the bridge cover?
Cheers,

Paul.[/quote]

blimey, you learn something every day,i did'nt realise you could get plugs like that for a bass.

[quote name='paul, the' post='8181' date='May 28 2007, 05:23 PM']This one isn't mine, but I hope to spray it this colour or dark brown.

Does anyone know where you can get those spots/inserts shown on the first picture to cover the drill holes for the bridge cover?
Cheers,

Paul.[/quote]

Change it if you want but understand that unless you become very famous you will be reducing it's vintage value. The original model without any modifications will always be more sought after and will attract a higher price.

[quote name='paul, the' post='8181' date='May 28 2007, 05:23 PM']I recently realised I knew nothing about my bass, so I thought I would do some research.

I think my bass would be a contender if anyone knew they existed.

---

It's a 1997 Californian Series Precision special. The model was only made for two years between 1996 and 1998 and features passive vintage p/j pickups and a jazz neck. So it has a vintage (RI) tone, with a little extra versatility and ease of playability.

And it receives healthy reviews on harmony-central

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Fender/California+Precision+Bass+Special/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ss+Special/10/1[/url]

This one isn't mine, but I hope to spray it this colour or dark brown.

Cheers,

Paul.[/quote]

Thats a really nice bass Paul. I think it will be a vintage bass one day!

Are any of these basses are worth more/ cost more to buy now than when they were new?

Or is it a case of minimising depreciation? Is there a cycle to prices?

For example, how much did a '79 Fender Precision cost (standard USA in Ash) when new?

I think I paid £150 for mine 10 years ago.

Are there "better" (build quality, sound, playability, etc.) non-iconic basses than similar but more pricey iconic basses?

I hope that makes sense...

Perhaps we need to look at how these basses became so expensive.

Looking at previous examples; Fender were the bees knees and their original early instruments are worth the money they are today because because of the required quality control of the early/setup stages of a business - to gain their rep'. This led to bassists using their equipment.

Of course circumstances are very different today. You have more of a choice than, Fender or Gibson or upright. There's masses of competition at every level and probably the only way for one brand to leave the others trailing is big name endorsement.

Now I see a lot of the cool soul/RnB bands getting time on Jools playing '62 RI Fender Jazzes. What if a few bassists started to pickup the Lakland US Joe Osbourn jazzes instead as they preferred the tone and were immune to brand superficiality. Soon as demand rises, Lakland gets bought out or they just get greedy and lose their ethos. They decide they want to make more money and move production abroad for economies of scale and cheaper labour costs. After years of trading, Lakland has become quite 'run of the mill' due to their availability, low price and association with less respected bassists. The Lakland brand becomes attenuated and loses its integrity. Now the factory that created the original US Joe Osborn no longer exists and Lakland no longer creates a bass to the same standard. Due to respect, lack of availability (damage, people not wanting to sell) and iconic endorsement, original US Lakland Joe Osborn basses increase in value on a gradient of about £1000 every decade.

This is of course hypothetical. I'm aware that Lakland Skyline basses are made to a high standard (although heavy I'm told). And with new technologies, basses made in the far east are becoming increasingly better made.

---

I think what will make a vintage bass of the future is a compromise between high standards of production, a price tag low enough to get noticed/be a gigging bassist's staple, innovation in design and use by a pro(s). Although word of mouth can be effective.

If you mix that lot with scarcity of availability - then you're on to a winner.

Warwick's sound like a perfect example of the preceding criteria. However, I can only imagine Warwick improving or staying at the same level of production competence. - But any LTD. Edition or out of production basses will certainly go up in value. Although I confess to know very little about Warwicks.

Quality '70s and '80s Japanese instruments are good and have already been mentioned. The '70s Aria ProIIs were great value - Mastsumoku instruments are sought after. Marcus Miller and heavy metallers have used the Aria Pro II Sb1000 - they're already fetching just under £600 and can only go up. Although I'm not a fan of Japanese design from the evidence I've seen, which will certainly hinder them. I (personally) don't think Arias or Ibanezes have 'classic appeal' in terms of style. 'Though they have their charm.

I can see Fender's upper range instruments gaining in popularity.

Musicman basses also fit the criteria nicely. However, they're very consistent in what they produce and probably smart enough to know not to ruin a good thing. Perhaps non-stingrays will be phased out in order to manipulate the 80/20. Are early Musicman basses thought of as superior? If they are - they'll go up.

Rickenbackers....well. Again, they're very consistent. Just to look out for how they deal with future competition as people catch on.

My best advice is to look out for new basses with an interesting styling that might just catch on, break the mold and have 'lasting appeal.'

Do you remember that catchy T-Mobile add featuring Bedouin Soundclash? Have you heard of Italia basses? maybe in 5 years you will.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zvBD3CsI0M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zvBD3CsI0M[/url]

So look out for new bands or any bands that are playing something a little different.

I think electric-acoustics are/will be hot due to their distinctive vintage tone and would suit today's music. If any cheap bass is going to blow your mind it'll be a Korean violin bass copy.

Innovations in pickup design are important too. Was there a Musicman style pickup before Musicman? - Any new pickup designs or up and coming pickup makers that have had their pickups fitted as standard will make the bass very sought after. Think Lindy Fralin's in Laklands:

[quote name='chris_b' post='7104' date='May 26 2007, 12:49 PM']Several years ago Bass Player magazine compared the pickups on a highly rated early 60's Jazz Bass which had spent it's whole life in a Nashville studio, pumping out hits, with Lindy Fralin JJ vintage replacemants. The Fralins won! If I was going vintage I would start by checking these out.[/quote]

Thanks chris b!

---

But more than anything, if you get a bass and it's; reliable, it sounds, plays and feels as good as an expensive/well known instrument - hang on to it for dear life.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='Musky' post='7499' date='May 27 2007, 10:02 AM']So if a high profile player started using, say a Gibson Victory, we could expect the price to rocket.[/quote]

Not 100% but did Krist Novoselic (Nirvana) not use a Victory

[quote name='paul, the' post='10360' date='Jun 1 2007, 04:47 AM']Do you remember that catchy T-Mobile add featuring Bedouin Soundclash? Have you heard of Italia basses? maybe in 5 years you will.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zvBD3CsI0M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zvBD3CsI0M[/url][/quote]

again on the name dropping, but I think yer man from the Manics is using Italia basses and has done for some time. Our guitar player has an Italia guitar - mad looking thing with sparkle blue paint and a go faster stripe painted in, but the quality is excellent. As I understand it, they're all knocked up in a factory in Korea and then shipped back to the Trev Wilkinson factory in Blackpool or wherever it is to be set up and presumably have a final QC check (how true this is I don't know), but they are really well put together guitars. The looks aren't for everyone.

I'm thinking of letting my '84 MIJ Precision go, but reading this I'm not so sure I should

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='10377' date='Jun 1 2007, 08:12 AM']I'm thinking of letting my '84 MIJ Precision go, but reading this I'm not so sure I should[/quote]

I don't think you should only keep a bass for investment potential. It should be loved and played or it should be for sale.

The basses that I own but no longer play (my first bass and my first 4/4), I've lent to friends and family. That way I know they are mine and are safe, but they are still being played - they're not worth much monetarily mind.