Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Bass'

crumpet_tramp

I spent a day trying just about every bass I could. In the end I landed up getting a BTB1000. I hadn't even considered Ibanez at the start of the day, but it was the one with the right feel and sound for me. I just love playing it.

I've got a few! About 10 years or so ago I had a real "thing" for Ibby Soundgears - I have 2 SR800s, fretted & fretless, and I loved the skinny necks, light weight, sound, look etc. More recently I got an EDA900, same neck profile but just weird (mostly in a good way) otherwise.

I'm currently having a more "traditional" phase, and I have a 1982 Roadster 924 (as played by Steve bleedin' 'Arris) which has a much more substantial & Precision-like neck, is beautifully made and is quite lovely - except it weighs a ton! I've also got an Ibanez Precision copy, from about 1974, very, very rare so I'm a bit reticent about gigging it. More for the "collection" then, I guess.

My main bass isn't an Ibanez, it's a 1980 CSL Jazz, but it was built in the same factory as all of the above - apart from the EDA, which was built in Korea, by Cort, like most middle & high-end Ibbys these days.

Jon.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='81772' date='Oct 31 2007, 03:40 PM']I used to have one and while it was a lot of bass for the price, ultimately it sounded thin and lacking any punch. Wasn't that nice to play either, just felt a bit cheap, so I sold it on. Nice and light though.[/quote]

Which one was it?

I have an SR900 which I use in my pop/rock covers band. With the EQ flat it's a very toppy thin sound, but all I have to do is dial in a little + onboard bass EQ and it keeps up with my Warwick Thumb BO just fine. It's a great workhorse bass with great craftsmanship and features you'd expect to find on a bass 4 times the price (figured wood, through neck, through-body stringing, 3 band EQ). I got a shock when I opened the control cavity though as the electronics soldering looks like a nightmare. I'm just glad that I haven't had any faults with the electronics yet.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='83412' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:03 AM']I had an SRX705 for a while with the through neck & the active humbuckers, etc. It was a lovely bass, but not a lot of output compared to my Status & Warwick basses.[/quote]

That's odd.

My SRX700 (4 strings to your 5!) slays both my Warwicks (Streamer LX amd Infinity SN4) in terms of output level. All three are using 9v electrics.
The only basses I own that can match it are;

Iceni Zoot Chaser (SD MM HB and 18v electrics)
Vigier Passion V (18v electrics again)
Yamaha Attitiude (evilly hot DiMarzios - passive, too.)
Ibanez EDB 600 (more of the same)

yeah the output on mine is rediculous, i never have it on full other wise i have to reduce the input on my amp considerably, it ramps up very quickly in the last part of the volume control on the bass. also i don't find the sound on mine thin at all with eq flat, very full, i can only add a touch of bass before the amp complains. its great for a covers band as i can tweak the sound more to the original right in the bass.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='83440' date='Nov 4 2007, 11:10 AM']Yes, it was definitely a lot weaker... Can't explain it, but my Warwick $$ is amazingly overpowered![/quote]

That'll be it, then!

My Streamer has SD soapbars, and the Infinity has the MEC J/JJ set up.
The pair of MMHBs in the $$ should give a very healthy output before the EQ stage adds any further oompf!

I'd still say my pair of Ibanez were well into the top half of the output level league...

I use three soundgear basses. an SR2005 five string fretted thru neck, an SR1205 five string fretless and an SR405 five string fretted with a bolt on neck (by far the lightest).
I can get just about every tone I want from them, they are very comfortable to play due to their great necks and they are totally reliable, If you want a great bit of kit just to go to work with you can,t go wrong. :)

I have an SR496, it has a BQS preamp and EMGs fitted. It is such a good quality instrument for the money and it sounds incredible with the new electronics. Ok so EMGs aren't the most versatile pup but with some tweaking of the knobs it doesn't take much to find a tone to suit most styles :)

I believe it is a mahogany body with a Wenge and Bubinga neck, similar to a lot of SRs. Unfortunately the 496 never really took off and the 506 pretty much just came in and took over the show. Shame.

I had an RD905 for a while. Really nice bass and you don't see too many of them around. Like most Ibanez basses, it was a really good spec for the money, well made, with Basslines pickups as standard. The neck was a bit wider than the typical skinny Soundgear necks, which suited me. Of all the basses I've owned, its probably the only one I regret selling!

The Soundgear SR500 is also a cracking bass for the money. Bartolini's as standard and a really awesome neck. The only thing I don't like about them is the very[u][/u] thin neck. A lot of people like them, but they feel way too thin for me.