Why become a member? ×

Trying to get into a bassist?

Brandonh

I mean like rock bassistish.

Not that I dont like jazz I just want to find a rock/blues bassist to study on

For rock I have been into geddy lee, geezer butler, Steve harris, Flea, A few basic other

What are some other good bassists ( I hate new rock music becuase all they do is power chords and roots most the time)

Just give me a name and a band so I can dig in =}

Do you mean British blues-rock? Or separately?

blues-rock

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues-rock"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues-rock[/url]

I recommend:

* Cream/Eric Clapton
* Fleetwood Mac (early - Peter Green)
* Scott Henderson
* Jimi Hendrix
* Jethro Tull
* Led Zeppelin
* John Mayall
* Ten Years After
* The Rolling Stones
* Carlos Santana
* Stevie Ray Vaughan
* Johnny Winter
* The Animals

Loads of great American stuff as well which isn't springing to mind. *Canned Heat. Watch the Woodstock DVD.

Everyone should passionately love a least a few of those bands at some stage in their life, unless they go straight into jazz.

Electric Bassists: Duck Dunn, John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Chas Chandler, Noel Redding .. and many more.. and upright players.

paul.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='Brandonh' post='6977' date='May 26 2007, 03:39 AM']I mean any rock or blues thanks. Im not even from the Uk you guys are just all good people.[/quote]

Oh right, sorry. Just my prejudices showing. Should have known by the time :)

Where are you from, if you don't me asking?

---

If you like Geddy Lee (Rush?) and Steve Harris, then you'll probably prefer straight rock/classic Heavy-metal to blues-rock. Although I hope you change and evolve :huh:

Stuff like:

AC/DC
Black Sabbath (great riffs!) - Geezer Butler
Deep Purple
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Queen
Thin Lizzy

Although this isn't really my comfort zone.

VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH1%27s_100_Greatest_Artists_of_Hard_Rock"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH1%27s_100_G...ts_of_Hard_Rock[/url]

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='simon73' post='6984' date='May 26 2007, 04:53 AM']Alice Cooper[/quote]
Up to & including [i]Muscle Of Love[/i] (1974), AC was actually a band rather than a singer, and the bassist was Dennis Dunaway - massively original & imaginative for the era, very upfront, melodic sound, and very tight, fast & precise plectrum technique. Dunaway insisted that use of a pick rather than fingers were essential to his sound & style.

Dunaway & drummer Neal Smith were a unique & pretty unorthodox rhythm section - well worth studying the way they played together.

Jon.

Hi Brandonh,

At the risk of banging on like an old git (which I am), how about having a listen to one of the US's great institutions, Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead. Thing about the Dead is that besides all the twiddly stuff, they could also do good straight short and sharp versions of songs over a wide range of styles, rock'n'roll, blues, C&W. With their vast archive of live performances over 30 years you can track through the way Phil reinterpreted these numbers and reinvented his parts. From the '70s their performances were usually divided into three sets, the first of which was mostly relatively straight renditions of songs without all the improv. Certainly enough material to fill several life times worth of study!

Nick S

[quote name='Brandonh' post='7470' date='May 27 2007, 04:17 AM']No lol I mean the band im in we play stuff like that. I like jazz, If thats what you mean? I like jaco jamerson graham

bands like miles davis john coltrane weather report.[/quote]

Oh right, then you're in good company.

Just don't let your band on to the fact that you have superior music taste :)

For a newbie bassist as opposed to someone who is accomplished and branching out I'd have to say start at AC/DC!

Solid, steady, nothing 'too' fancy (not being disparaging, the bass lines being played are exactly what is required) and it will get you in a rockin' band in no time.

I have been playing for about 7-8 months. And I play alot. acdc isint any fun. But I am realllly digging cream at the moment. And Im still big into rush just find there stuff difficult becuase there progressive rock they change stuff up often leaveing me lost. Haha but its all good geddys a amazing bassist.