Why become a member? ×

Comfy Bass

odub

Alright I know everything is subjective and all that, but....I was wondering:
What’s the most comfortable bass to play, what has zero neck dive; nicely contoured body, least weight etc etc. If you take away sound and cool factor, what’s left?
Obviously neck preference is another subjective thing as well but i guess what I’m asking is, if you had to practice with the same guitar 10 hours per day, what would it be?

(I’m bored)

For me it's the Peavey Dynabass (International Series), very sweet thin neck. I'm a big guy (6'7" 26st) so have some problems getting a bass to 'fit', have tried many basses but only feel 'at one' with the dynabass - so much so that I've just bought a 2nd one :)

Edited by colda

[quote name='lovedub' post='81837' date='Oct 31 2007, 05:29 PM']If it wasn't for the weight I would definately go for a Thumb bass, it literally hugs your body.

Seeing as we're practicing for ten hours though I would choose a Fender p-bass lyte.

does what it says on the tin[/quote]

Yeah a Lyte is good - had one for years,
My Shuker p bass was designed for this as we play gigs that last for 3+ hours at a time, standing up ..
Special thin body, light weight, light headstock and winders, perfectly placed strap pegs for balance..
Plus a 4" wide strap :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='81824' date='Oct 31 2007, 05:01 PM']There are always going to be variations in weight but I find the concave/convex body contouring and the overall shape of the Spector NS and Warwick Streamer shape to be soooo comfortable![/quote]
agree on that streamer shape,its well comfy

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='81824' date='Oct 31 2007, 05:01 PM']There are always going to be variations in weight but I find the concave/convex body contouring and the overall shape of the Spector NS and Warwick Streamer shape to be soooo comfortable![/quote]

The Streamers are good on the comfort front. In fact any of the concave backed Warwicks are good.
Equally good in comfort terms are the Ibanez Ergodynes. I can play my EDB600 for hours.
Oh, and whilst on the subject of Steiberger designs (He did the original Spector design, then Warwick poached it for the Streamer (right ?))

Zero neck dive
They all weigh more or less the same
Stays out of your way
Compact- will fit in a Guitar case
Tough
Hard to knock out of tune

And so on...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='82049' date='Nov 1 2007, 05:25 AM']Oh, and whilst on the subject of Steiberger designs (He did the original Spector design, then Warwick poached it for the Streamer (right ?))[/quote]

Correct.

+1 for the Ned Steinberger designed Spector NS shape :)

Edited by cetera

My needs are a little different to most others...

After a bad bike accident in 2001, the soft tissue damage around the lower edge of my right shoulderblade means that I can't stand up for extended periods, so I took to using a bar stool, not constantly but as something to perch on for a couple of songs now and then (it's easier with the barn dance band than the covers band, I just sit down while the caller is going through the next dance or dragging the potential dancers onto the floor, and most of the time I'm playing the upright anyway). So basses which are comfy both sitting and standing, and in some strange posture with one buttock on the bar stool, are good.

Funnily enough, despite me being convex, the concave back of the Warwicks and the flat back of the Tsai 5 are equally comfy (I've only just got the 7 so still getting used to that). Most of the basses I've played would be OK in body terms for my purposes, though the cricket bat Hohner B2 and Westone Quantum that I used to own many years ago wouldn't be so good when sitting (especially the Westone, which didn't have a flip-out bit). I wouldn't like to play a bass seated which had a body much smaller than a Thumb or larger than a Precision, though.

Neck-wise, the Warwicks surpass any other bass I've played by quite a margin, and the Tsai is the best 5-string I've played, so I'm happy with them. Oh, and the JD Thumb is a bit lighter than the standard Thumb as it has a slightly shallower body and neck.

[quote name='tauzero' post='82258' date='Nov 1 2007, 01:53 PM']My needs are a little different to most others...[/quote]

i know what you mean with the injury to comfort ratio with basses,i cant play anything with a big body for any period of time cos of me right forearm starts to feel like its made of lego.
warwicks seem the most comfy so far for me

[quote]Sei Flamboyant headless - light, exquisitely contoured, dive free, ultra-low action, and super-slim neck[/quote]
im sure they are very nice,they look well nice to hold

[quote name='grosa' post='82327' date='Nov 1 2007, 03:18 PM']i know what you mean with the injury to comfort ratio with basses,i cant play anything with a big body for any period of time cos of me right forearm starts to feel like its made of lego.
warwicks seem the most comfy so far for me

im sure they are very nice,they look well nice to hold[/quote]
I've found my Sei 5 really comfortable - it's very light (but highly resonant) and the extended upper horn is great for general balance. The necks are gorgeous too - very fast and slim with lovely profiling and access. I don't find that my hands get tired even over extended periods of playing.