Why become a member? ×

Free VSTs

geoffbyrne

Nice one!

I love free vsts, cant get enough of them, some really interesting and cool sounding stuff out there if you go looking far enough.

Quality can be a bit hit and miss (just like with the less free stuff IMO), but there are some absolute gems to be found....

Cheers!

There should be a folder where your DAW program is installed called VSTs or something similar- copy and paste the .dll files you've downloaded into that folder. Next time you open up your DAW you should be able to select the VSTs.

If you can tell us what DAW program you're using someone might be able to tell you how to find the exact folder if need be.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='747057' date='Feb 16 2010, 11:40 AM']There should be a folder where your DAW program is installed called VSTs or something similar- copy and paste the .dll files you've downloaded into that folder. Next time you open up your DAW you should be able to select the VSTs.

If you can tell us what DAW program you're using someone might be able to tell you how to find the exact folder if need be.[/quote]

Ahhh.......

There lies another problem......

What the hell is DAW program?...... LOL

Sorry..... told ya..... i'm thicker than a whale omlette when it comes to this

Craig

i don't suppose there's any chance of having this pinned so people can post links to free VSTs they like and its always just there for reference?

i love free VSTs, take for example my favourite in the link the OP posted, the cosmogirl II. its a great sound, lots of fun to play with, but i wouldn't want to pay for it because i'm never really gonna use it in an actual song.

[quote name='crag42' post='747076' date='Feb 16 2010, 12:07 PM']I use Acid Pro mate

Craig[/quote]
The folder you're looking for is probably something along the lines of C/Program files/Acid pro/VSTs then, assuming its installed on drive C on your PC.
Cheers.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

[quote name='Tait' post='747206' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:39 PM']i don't suppose there's any chance of having this pinned so people can post links to free VSTs they like and its always just there for reference?

i love free VSTs, take for example my favourite in the link the OP posted, the cosmogirl II. its a great sound, lots of fun to play with, but i wouldn't want to pay for it because i'm never really gonna use it in an actual song.[/quote]

Yes please mods -- that would be fantastic for us! :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='747658' date='Feb 16 2010, 07:24 PM']The folder you're looking for is probably something along the lines of C/Program files/Acid pro/VSTs then, assuming its installed on drive C on your PC.
Cheers.[/quote]

Or sometimes there is C/Programme files/Steinberg/VST's,or C/programmes/VST'S, and then you have to set the path within Acid Pro to scan, Pointing towards that folder.You had to do that with the older versions of Acid.The newer versions
have a VST folder within the Sony/Acid folder.

I do remember last year some time that there was a post started for free VST'S.Quite a few links within that.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='747706' date='Feb 16 2010, 08:20 PM']Or sometimes there is C/Programme files/Steinberg/VST's,or C/programmes/VST'S, and then you have to set the path within Acid Pro to scan, Pointing towards that folder.You had to do that with the older versions of Acid.The newer versions
have a VST folder within the Sony/Acid folder.

I do remember last year some time that there was a post started for free VST'S.Quite a few links within that.

Garry[/quote]

link to that thread here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41808&hl=free+vst"]Excellent free VST's[/url]

i started one for free VSTi's last year, cos i love them too. link to that thread here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59677&hl=free+vsti"]decent free VSTi's?[/url]

now we have no excuse not to pin this thread :) three thread's worth already here :rolleyes:

[quote name='crag42' post='747063' date='Feb 16 2010, 11:49 AM']What the hell is DAW program?[/quote]

Digital Audio Workstation :)

This is Ambience - free, and better than all but the most expensive available IMHO:

[url="http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/"]http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/[/url]

Been using it for a couple of years now, it's a gift that keeps on giving!

Edited by discreet

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In theory you can use a VST to AU wrapper utility to get VSTs to work in Logic. However the main one of these hasn't been updated for some time and even then they only work with Macintosh VSTs written for the appropriate processor (Intel or PPC). Unfortunately on the whole it's more trouble than it's worth.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='lowdown' post='978232' date='Oct 5 2010, 12:36 PM']Another bunch of nice VST freebies here.
Enjoy.

[url="http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/"]http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/[/url]

Garry[/quote]

+1 - and a very big one at that, I use these ALL the time, they rock!