Why become a member? ×

Roy Babbington

Alun

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

After seeing him live last night with jazz painist Geoff Eales I have to urge all Upright enthusiasts to see him if at all possible. I've heard him before and knew he was good but his playing last night was unbelievable - tone, solos, groove - everything.

Makes me sick :)

Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='82402' date='Nov 1 2007, 05:43 PM']:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

After seeing him live last night with jazz painist Geoff Eales I have to urge all Upright enthusiasts to see him if at all possible. I've heard him before and knew he was good but his playing last night was unbelievable - tone, solos, groove - everything.

Makes me sick :)

Alun[/quote]
Yes, he is a great player. I took lessons off him many years ago and he was terrific. He used to play a six string Fender too, the almost guitar sized bass that is, with Barbara Thompson's "Paraphenalia" many moons ago and I think he was once in "Soft machine".

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mybass' post='82457' date='Nov 1 2007, 07:08 PM']Yes, he is a great player. I took lessons off him many years ago and he was terrific. He used to play a six string Fender too, the almost guitar sized bass that is, with Barbara Thompson's "Paraphenalia" many moons ago and I think he was once in "Soft machine".[/quote]

Correct- he was (is?) also with the BBC big band. He did a dep for me once, years ago, when I had a gig with Jim Mullen. He was a real gentleman (just don't mention Robert Palmer to him).