Why become a member? ×

EBMM Stingray 4 string weak G string question

artisan

i recently bought a new 2 band 'ray ,which i love to bits btw.
the only slight niggle i have with it is the g string is weaker sounding than the other strings although not as bad as my old 3 band model which had a totally inaudible g string & hence got flogged on.
volume wise it is just a loud as the other strings but lacks the "balls" or "punch" if you like & no amount of adjustment makes a difference.
i.ve strung it with some fairly heavy EB group 2 flats which sound amazing,well on 3 strings :) & give the exact tone i want.
i have read up on the 'net about this fairly common problem, which only affects the 4 string Stingrays & people have suggested it could be an e.q. problem-i can confirm it is not.
the only people who seem to have cured this seem to have fitted a different pickup,the pickup of choice seems to be one of the following -

either a Seymor Duncan SMB4a or a Nordstrand 4.2

has anyone tried either of these & did it work?
cheers. :rolleyes:

Edited by artisan

I owned 3 Stingrays and always had that problem, which is a pity because I think Rays are great basses.

The weak G string syndrome been discussed at length on Talkbass and the most likely explanation seems to be that it's the way the preamp is voiced. IIRC I read that Sterling Ball stated that that's the way players like it. Some people have a problem with it and some don't so maybe it depends on the individuals' expectations or the sound of the band. I could never get on with the way the G and to a lesser extent the D string would just disappear in the mix and in spite of much tinkering I could never cure it and always ended selling my Stingrays.

I would be very interested if someone came up with a fix. I would buy another Stingray like a flash because I love them in every other respect.

Edited by AndyMartin

thanks for the replies guys :)

after much thought & searching i'm going to order a Nordstrand today,so i'll let you know the outcome.
even if it doesn't cure it, after listening to the sound clips i much prefer the Nordy's tone anyways & it's only money.
i'm pretty shure it's not the pre-amp, but if the pickup doesn't cure it that will be my next move.
i'm not going to give up on this bass as it is a beauty.
cheers.

[quote name='artisan' post='755079' date='Feb 23 2010, 03:15 PM']i recently bought a new 2 band 'ray ,which i love to bits btw.
the only slight niggle i have with it is the g string is weaker sounding than the other strings although not as bad as my old 3 band model which had a totally inaudible g string & hence got flogged on.
volume wise it is just a loud as the other strings but lacks the "balls" or "punch" if you like & no amount of adjustment makes a difference.
i.ve strung it with some fairly heavy EB group 2 flats which sound amazing,well on 3 strings :) & give the exact tone i want.
i have read up on the 'net about this fairly common problem, which only affects the 4 string Stingrays & people have suggested it could be an e.q. problem-i can confirm it is not.
the only people who seem to have cured this seem to have fitted a different pickup,the pickup of choice seems to be one of the following -

either a Seymor Duncan SMB4a or a Nordstrand 4.2

has anyone tried either of these & did it work?
cheers.[/quote]

Yes mate! The Seymour Duncan is the way to go. Very happy with mine, super even string to string balance, clarity of sound spectrum and volume, real alnico 5 magnets.

[b]Before:[/b]

[b]After[/b]

If you want to buy one, send me a pm and I will give you details of my dealer in the US that will ship it to you in 5 days and a lot cheaper than all the cowboys who sell them here in UK

Hi there

I did replace my pickup with a nordstrand and I am pleased with the result but if you like the way the bass sounds on the other strings try getting a .55 G string or go a gauge down on the the lower strings. It's a lot easier and less expensive.

[url="http://www.juststrings.com/flatwoundernieballbassguitarsinglestrings.html"]http://www.juststrings.com/flatwoundernieb...glestrings.html[/url]

[quote name='martthebass' post='756064' date='Feb 24 2010, 03:43 PM']I don't have a problem with my current Ray4 but have had the problem in the past (particularly on a Sterling 4 I once had). The pup on mine is set 4mm higher on the G side than the E, I think that is the main reason for the decent balance - worth a try?[/quote]

cheers,i have been fiddling with the pickup height for a few months now to no avail,i have got the volume pretty even but the g string just lacks balls,is really does sound weak.
but i love this bass ti bits & won't ever be parted from it so i'm going to try the Nordy & hope that sorts it + going by the sound clips i've heard it'll sound better too.

[quote name='green' post='756174' date='Feb 24 2010, 04:38 PM']artisan, let us know if the nordstrand helps.

i have the same "problem"...[/quote]

will do mate,it should arrive tomorrow so i'll get it fitted asap & let you know.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='756718' date='Feb 25 2010, 09:17 AM']I sorted this problem out by angling the pup a bit, going a gauge higher on the G string and using compression to even things out. It's annoyin' innit?[/quote]

cheers Al'
indeed it is annoying,shouldn't need to mess with a 1K plus bass.

i've already done all possible adjustments inc' messing with my amp + compression + a set of fantastic EB group 2 flats (which sound & play amazing ),i've got the string about as loud as the other 3 but whatever i do it just sounds poxy,but my nordy's just arrived so here's hoping.

I had a nice Sterling with a Nordy - no weak G on that sucker at all so here's hoping for ya. :rolleyes:

I changed the EB Slinky's on my Shuker about two weeks ago supposedly for my favourite DR Sunbeams. I have a horrible suspicion that the strings supplied were not Sunbeams at all but Low Riders which I don't like.

Anyway, my G string was really weak and it was getting on my nerves so last night I dug out the EBs, boiled 'em for about 40 minutes and stuck 'em back on the Shuker.

My G string is back in business. :)

Edited by niceguyhomer

i guess i found out what's wrong with the g-string:

the distance of the pole pieces should follow the curvature of the neck, and then bring the strings closer, the thinner they get, right?

now look at the pickup of the stingray
the pole pieces on the g-string are even lower than the pole pieces of the e-string.
the opposite should be the case.

now, if you bring the one side of the pickup closer to the g-string, it will be ok, but then the d-string would be too loud.

i guess, the problem is in the pole pieces of the g-string.
is there any way to adjust their height ?

Edited by green

[quote name='green' post='757197' date='Feb 25 2010, 06:00 PM']i guess i found out what's wrong with the g-string:

the distance of the pole pieces should follow the curvature of the neck, and then bring the strings closer, the thinner they get, right?

now look at the pickup of the stingray
the pole pieces on the g-string are even lower than the pole pieces of the e-string.
the opposite should be the case.

now, if you bring the one side of the pickup closer to the g-string, it will be ok, but then the d-string would be too loud.

i guess, the problem is in the pole pieces of the g-string.
is there any way to adjust their height ?[/quote]

no unfortunately not mate,it's a sh*te design for shure.

My Sabre special suffered from this quite badly when I first got it. I adjusted the bass and sorted the string heights, and after a tweak and set up by myself, the G string is back in action! Now it sounds full and punchy, whereas before it sounded as flat as a fart!

It also has one of those lovely SD MM pickups in it...sounds absolutely incredible!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='757365' date='Feb 25 2010, 06:56 PM']My Sabre special suffered from this quite badly when I first got it. I adjusted the bass and sorted the string heights, and after a tweak and set up by myself, the G string is back in action! Now it sounds full and punchy, whereas before it sounded as flat as a fart!

It also has one of those lovely SD MM pickups in it...sounds absolutely incredible!

[/quote]

bugger me that bass is gorgeous.

I've suffered this for sometime now on my 2 band Ray 4 string. There is a lot of stuff on the net and EB are really funny about it by all accounts and swear there is no problem. It seems to be in the neck design. Mine is quite bad now and it's probably down to old strings. I have a new set of Roto Nickels ready to try for the first time. I have noticed that it is usually ok if you go through a PA as well. Other options to improve it are:

Adjust the neck and tighten up the truss rod - helped a bit.
Use compression - hasn't made much difference.
Add mass to the headstock with a Fat Finger - helped a bit. Sounds the nuts on a Jazz by the way.
Adjusting the pup - too high over the G and it get's in the way of your fingers, so not much scope there.
Turn down the bass eq, helps a bit.

This whole issue has been getting on my nerves and I have started using my Charvel as my main gigging bass again. This bass has no problem what so ever and the G is super strong. In fact I would consider selling my Ray cos of this and getting something else such as a Lakland or something, which would be shame as I love everything else about it. Now let's see about those strings - it's worked for others.

Edited by mep

I have had 3 stingrays all with the same problem,
as artisan has said the two middle poles A and D are taller, so you cant tilt the pick up to the G string as it just makes the D louder.
NOT only this but if you look at the pick up from above you will see the G string is not in the middle of the pole it misses centre by a quarter so its only a quarter over the pole piece, so its not getting the middle of the field.

but reg the pole height there is a cure !! on the E.B. stingrays if you want to chance it....

take the pick up out you can leave it connected
THE 4 middle poles WILL push down, the 4 outside ones WONT push up because of the coil tensions at the ends, the middle ones will do it slow then when you put it back you can raise the pick up. JOB DONE
And remember you heared it here first folks, (or mabe not)

the main problem is the pick up is too large for the string spacing

Now E.B. know this and could have sorted it out a long time ago but they wont as long as they keep selling, not only this but the whole bass is just Cheep now, that plastic battery compartment is like some thing from the back of a toy from toys are us,
the neck now is made from cheep "NEW" wood and is very wide open grain ( not old tight grain) the so called now smooth back of the neck is just sh*t, and soon wares off leaving dark patches, they should of left it varnished, the body is now very open grained, the selection process i think goes like this,
if it looks ok spray it naturel,
if it looks not bad with some figuring spray it translucent
if it looks pants with different coloured woods or miss matched grain ..paint it solid.
now there is nothing wrong with this process as everyone does it
but you dont know whats under the paint, as the natural ones are now open grained enough.
( with exceptions)
leo at musicman never used these cheep woods on the neck or bodys, have a look at the early ones.
when leo started th G&L comp he knew what he was doing,
i dont want to upset musicman lovers here, and i know it is personal preff.
but the G&L L2000 is altogether a far better bass, its heavy solid, like the old MM, the pickups with adjustable pole pieces are just amazing, tonal possabilites are endless, bla bla bla, i still have a stingray and 2 G&Ls L2000 the early one with the control plate on the front
and the one without ( with leos signiture on it) and with doube it blows the stingray away, to a point where friends who have stingrays who have tried the L2000 have switched... ALL OF THEM ( 3 )
as said its all personalPreff
hope this helps