Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Managed to fit a Poultone Trooper Boost in a 1590a, which I'm happy about. Wasn't as fiddly as I thought it would be:

[url=http://postimg.org/image/aueoi7h1p/full/][/url]

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ehfs3hk8j/full/][/url]

Si

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1459111090' post='3013656']
I unstuck it - we only really want to stick announcements and so forth. No point in sticking a forum thread, really?
[/quote]

I think there is a lot of point, particularly for a long running but slow moving thread packed with useful info, the kind of information that helps to give Basschat it's credibility.

I also don't understand why you have picked on this thread but left the pedalboard thread in this forum, and virtually every other stickied thread in many of the other forums. There are many other threads far less worthy than this one.

Another alternative would be to fix the Wiki.

Please reconsider.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1459366047' post='3015907']
I think there is a lot of point, particularly for a long running but slow moving thread packed with useful info, the kind of information that helps to give Basschat it's credibility.

I also don't understand why you have picked on this thread but left the pedalboard thread in this forum, and virtually every other stickied thread in many of the other forums. There are many other threads far less worthy than this one.

Another alternative would be to fix the Wiki.

Please reconsider.
[/quote]

I'm unpinning a number of threads in an effort to reorganise a bit. The only things that will be pinned are announcements and rules etc. IMO pinning a conversational type thread is the best way of having it ignored - any topic worth any value will continue to bounce up and down as it gets more comments, and current participants can always find it just as easily.

The wiki wasn't used by many people - about 2% in it's lifetime - again, a forum's lifeblood is conversation, and though I can see the value in storing information away, it's not what Basschat is for. Most of the topics here could be answered with some research but we aren't a resource like that.

Not trying to ruin anyone's fun BTW, just a little wisdom learned over the years in forum behaviour.

Cheers
ped

I agree with those who think this thread should still be stickied. It has far more claim to be a reference thread than the pedalboard one, which is more of a vanity thread. It's not as if the effects forum, unlike others, is drowning in stickies.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1459429922' post='3016489']
I agree with those who think this thread should still be stickied. It has far more claim to be a reference thread than the pedalboard one, which is more of a vanity thread. It's not as if the effects forum, unlike others, is drowning in stickies.
[/quote]

I don't want to derail the thread but I honestly don't think anyone would dip into a 46 page thread for reference; anyone interested would participate, surely - thus bumping the thread and creating more discussion, plus bookmarking it in their content?

Not trying to be awkward but that's the way it works

• 3 weeks later...

Built myself a TS808 clone recently. Replaced the 47nf cap that sets the minimum frequency to the feedback loop with a 470nf. Instead of cutting everything below 734Hz it now goes down to 74Hz.

Lovely little pedal! It's got a bit more gain than I need, so I'll probably replace the 500kΩ Drive pot for something a bit smaller so that I've got more control over the rate of change.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1459453891' post='3016852']

I don't want to derail the thread but I honestly don't think anyone would dip into a 46 page thread for reference; anyone interested would participate, surely - thus bumping the thread and creating more discussion, plus bookmarking it in their content?

Not trying to be awkward but that's the way it works
[/quote]This should be a sub forum off effects in the same way Lefties is off Basd Guitars. Then you can have different effects without own posts Instead of having to search through thousands of posts,

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1461278410' post='3033374']
This should be a sub forum off effects in the same way Lefties is off Bass Guitars. Then you can have different effects without own posts Instead of having to search through thousands of posts,
[/quote]

That's a great idea!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1461310448' post='3033466']
That's a great idea!
[/quote]

But then we might as well have a sub forum for chorus pedals, another for envelope filters - more people will have those than a DIY pedal.

Good idea to make a new thread for your own DIY project though, that'll make it much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1457535957' post='2999479']
Having just read that again I think I initially misunderstood what you were looking for. I'd assumed you wanted to run both JOYOs in parallel and blend between them. Given that, why would you want to go to the expense of putting these in a new enclosure? You could achieve what you're wanting to do with an A/B looper pedal: [url="http://buildyourownclone.com/products/tblooper"]http://buildyourownc...oducts/tblooper[/url]
[/quote]
I've just discovered that Effectrode do a channel switching blackface-based preamp pedal which does everything the Joyo does but with tubes. Its called the Blackbird but costs a bit more than the cost of two Joyos and an A/B though.

Sorry to derail the current discussion - but I'm looking for a new set of wire strippers! Anyone suggest a particular one that is especially good for low gauge wire for example that used on pickups as well as being good for the more standard pedal hookup wire.

Thank you!

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1462865712' post='3046287']
I find the T-rex style to be best.

[/quote]
I have owned far too many of those over the years and never had one that actually worked.

i use one of these:

Though I would love an automatic one that worked.

I have a set of these, but they're a bit aggressive for very narrow, stranded wire:

Edited by KingBollock

I have an idea I'd like to run past some of you seasoned DIY-ers...

I have some dirt pedals that don't play nice with high output basses, so I thought I could remedy this by modifying a spare 1590a true-bypass loop pedal that I have with an adjustable volume control or input pad on the send output. What would be best way would be to do this?

Perhaps the simplest approach would be a 3-way toggle switch, with one position unaffected, and the other two placing a resistor between signal and ground? Perhaps socketed so I could experiment with values, or use mini trimpots? Not sure what values to use, I expect it would vary depending on if the signal was buffered beforehand? e.g. Ernie Ball have a 250k volume pedal for passive instruments and a 25k one for actives.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1462882013' post='3046547']
These are the best I've used:

[/quote]
Never liked that type. When the jaws snap shut it bends stranded wires, maybe I'm not using them correctly. Prefer the manual type (post 1390, orange )

• Rich pinned this topic