Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1473451853' post='3130437']
Yeah the Guma Antique is very tempting, just not doing much soldering at the moment due to the 5month boy lol.
Might just purchase for a rainy day lol

Si
[/quote]

I know all about it Si! I'm only really getting my head above water now and my boys are 3 and 4...

Finished this fuzz off today. Some of my drilling's a bit wayward but I think the allover graphic came out quite well!

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/B8E71C4C-15D3-4CA5-880E-6E2B06CC7A61.jpg.html][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e39/JohnnyWishbone035/B8E71C4C-15D3-4CA5-880E-6E2B06CC7A61.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/7C4EC737-82E2-4FDA-9CAC-9ECC2AA8AF0F.jpg.html][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e39/JohnnyWishbone035/7C4EC737-82E2-4FDA-9CAC-9ECC2AA8AF0F.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1474146818' post='3135959']
Finished this fuzz off today. Some of my drilling's a bit wayward but I think the allover graphic came out quite well!

[url="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/B8E71C4C-15D3-4CA5-880E-6E2B06CC7A61.jpg.html"][/url]

[/quote]

That's one Phar Out Phuzz, baby !

Totally new to this thread and building pedals! (Why isn't there a different section for this!?)

So I've ordered myself a Klone clone kit for a bit of fun when I haven't got much going on just to test the waters but I'm now eyeing up the Guma Drive kit. where do you guys find these kits online? I've had a look round fuzz dog.

Also do you guys have any recommendation for solder and flux when working on PCBs?

Just a word of caution. The Guma drive is NOT a good kit for a beginner. There are a few surface mount components involved - I wouldn't attempt that at home and I'm an electronic engineer with years of experience dealing with SMT! I have all the right tools at work so I'll be doing that portion there.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the darkglass sound, but I'm going to build both the Guma and Antique anyway (still waiting for payday Si! Not long left now...) as I could see me using them on occasion, just not enough to warrant owning either of the real thing!

I'd highly recommend any of fuzz dog's bass kits. All the ones I've built have been great quality. Personal favourites of mine are the blueberry (mine's heavily modified and I'm planning to modify it more!) and musket fuzz clones. I'm reserving judgement on the Ezekiel as I installed the switch on the wrong side of the board and destroyed it taking it off the pcb! I found the RC booster wasn't for me - too subtle. I'd like to build the BB preamp at some point.

I've a meatball clone (on a Risole PCB from oshpark, into a ready etched enclosure from Dan Minner in the states) and [color=#006621][font=arial, sans-serif]parasit studio arcadiator from Musikding waiting to be built, but time is against me these days...[/font][/color]

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1474541240' post='3138651']
I have no idea why I've not seen these before! I'm ordering a couple come payday.
[/quote]

I use their ZenDrive as an always on low gain drive... added a clean blend to it too.

It's a pretty nice pedal.

Yes, I've built their Zen drive which is great (I use if for guitar). Also built their Reverb which is also great, and (IIRC) their Red Llama. So far they've all been immaculate kits and very good value.

Edited by Kirky

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1474529776' post='3138540']
Just a word of caution. The Guma drive is NOT a good kit for a beginner. There are a few surface mount components involved - I wouldn't attempt that at home and I'm an electronic engineer with years of experience dealing with SMT! I have all the right tools at work so I'll be doing that portion there.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the darkglass sound, but I'm going to build both the Guma and Antique anyway (still waiting for payday Si! Not long left now...) as I could see me using them on occasion, just not enough to warrant owning either of the real thing![/quote]

Interesting, what is stopping you from attempting the SMD soldering at home? I'm a huge Darkglass fan so I'm very attracted to this kit because I'd actually use the pedal a lot. Do you really think it's no wise to have a bash?

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1474557593' post='3138809']

Interesting, what is stopping you from attempting the SMD soldering at home? I'm a huge Darkglass fan so I'm very attracted to this kit because I'd actually use the pedal a lot. Do you really think it's no wise to have a bash?
[/quote]

ESD for one, no microscope for another. And my soldering iron tip is a little too chunky!

It's interesting, you get a range of opinions on working with smd from hobbyists, some won't touch it with a 50ft clown pole, others don't see the fuss. Of course the latter group usually don't see the problem with burning pads off too...

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but it's a good skill to have. Looking at the guma board it's not too bad, an soic-10 and 2 sot-23s. If you've never done it before though, practice first. You can get smt adapter boards and sacrificial parts for cheap enough, they should make good practice. Get some smd tweezers too (esd safe and heat resistant) - tool wise that's the bare minimum.

Agreed it's a good skill to have as a DIYer, and if I was better set up at home I would tackle it no problem. I just don't see the point of risking it myself when I have the correct equipment at work is all.

I think with the loss of a lot of FETs, etc. as through hole devices it's likely that there will be a lot more SMD required for DIYers in the near future.