Why become a member? ×

bass guitar pickup help

stevealex35

Hi,

Am thinking about upgrading the pickups on my Fender P bass. Was wondering if any one could offer any advice on which ones to consider? Really like the bass guitar tone on Death Cab For Cutie's album "we have the facts and were voting yes". Don't know if simply a pickup upgrade will help achieve this or not, thought it may be worth a try!

Cheers

Steve

Have you considered Villex pickups?

I'm putting a pair in my Lakland Bob Glaub. The pickup comes with an additional Mid passive tone control too giving more options.

Do a search on Villex. Not just yer usual variation of windings, materials and magnets.

Peter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Wizard Thumper is overwound, so it's hotter with slightly less top but more midrange than a standard P pickups.

Lots of overwound P pickups are available, like the Di Marzio QP for example, but... Wizards sound awesome, they're made in the UK, they're a bit cheaper, they have a lifetime guarantee(!) and Andy (at Wizard) will help you with any query you have. He's a great guy.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk"]Wizard Pickups...[/url]

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='108312' date='Dec 22 2007, 08:03 PM']The Wizard Thumper is overwound, so it's hotter with slightly less top but more midrange than a standard P pickups.

Lots of overwound P pickups are available, like the Di Marzio QP for example, but... Wizards sound awesome, they're made in the UK, they're a bit cheaper, they have a lifetime guarantee(!) and Andy (at Wizard) will help you with any query you have. He's a great guy.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk"]Wizard Pickups...[/url][/quote]
+1
Dealing with Andy was so easy, and the advice I got was spot on. He remagnetised and rewound the original Shergold p'up, and on the strength of that work I bought an overwound J type to replace an old DiMarzio in the bridge position. Pleased as punch.