How was your gig last night?

6389 replies to this topic

#1 bassninja

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

So how did it go? Ours was a 21st party with people dressed as cowboys penguins and pirates. A bit random...
Twitter

'73 Precision w/EMGs & Badass, '91 Miller Jazz, '82 JV Squier Jazz w/EMGs, Badass & J-Retro
Monster cable,
TC BG500 2x10 or Trace SM7 15" 300 & Trace 15" ext
Curry
Tea

#2 Alun

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Sounds like fun! wasn't out last night but Friday was great. Local pub/Thai restaurant with a blues guitarist ( who was deafeningly loud). Bit weird at times as he wanted to do some bebop as well which really didn't fit the rest if the music ( or the audience!) that well, but still great fun. It was packed as well which is always good :) plus some friends I have seen in years turned up. All good!

Cheers,
Alun
http://www.alunvaughan.com
Go on! What harm can it do?
Solo album available at http://alunvaughan.bandcamp.com/album/the-...ss-of-strangers. All proceeds donated to the MS Society.
Endorsed by Hartke

#3 slaphappygarry

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

Played a wedding in a converted pig barn just south of Edinburgh last night. Outside the city its very dark and very cold and it was a really awesome place to be.

Fireworks, good buffet and some nice folk.

Oh aye, the gig was fine too :)

G
MM Stingray 4
Fender Geddy Lee '75 Reissue

http://www.myspace.c...jectproductions
www.c-p-productions.com

"did you know 86% of statistics are made up on the spot?"

#4 Sean

BB Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Cancelled! :)
Basses: Amplification:
  • Laney Nexus Tube
  • Mesa Walkabout Scout 12
  • MarkBass Nano 300
  • Mesa 400+
  • MJW Taranis
  • Barefaced Big Twin 2
  • Barefaced SIX 10
  • Barefaced TWO 10
MY FEEDBACK

DEJA VUDOU

#5 jwbassman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

No gig this weekend but a good rehersal this morning for our next gig on the 18th November...
Double Bass:
Martin 3/4 Concert

Bass Guitars:
Overwaters x 2

Amplification:
MESA Walkabout Scout 1x12 Combo

my feedback

#6 bassninja

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

View PostSean, on Nov 4 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

Cancelled! :)

Bummer... :huh:
Twitter

'73 Precision w/EMGs & Badass, '91 Miller Jazz, '82 JV Squier Jazz w/EMGs, Badass & J-Retro
Monster cable,
Curry
Tea

#7 silverfoxnik

"Waiting for the gift of sound & vision.."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

We played a 50th Birthday party Friday night on the first floor of a Conservative Club in Newhaven with no lift - so that wasn't fun!! But there was a good young band supporting, so that made for a pleasant distraction as we hardly ever gig with other bands.

Last night we were at The Crow's Nest in East Grinstead; again it was 1st floor but thankfully, they have a lift which makes a lot of difference when loading out at 1am in the morning!

Both gigs were slow to get going at first but in the end, everyone was up singing and dancing, so a good weekend's work all in all!

Another two more next weekend as well, so 'no rest for the wicked' as the saying goes...

Nik
So many basses, so little time...

My Feedback

www.replaysounds.co.uk

#8 stingrayfan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

View Postsilverfoxnik, on Nov 4 2007, 08:03 PM, said:

We played a 50th Birthday party Friday night on the first floor of a Conservative Club in Newhaven with no lift - so that wasn't fun!!
We did one without a lift too yesterday in a room above a pub. Like Mariah Carey, we generally don't do stairs. But it was a birthday party for a friend of the band so lots of people helped with the load in and out. Good gig, the birthday boy played guitar with us on one song, so he was made up.
G&L L2000 Tribute | Yamaha BB614
Hartke LH500 | Warwick 411 4x10 | Barefaced Compact | Trace 715 combo

#9 BassBod

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

Jazz gig in a Methodist church in Bath (ten mins away..joy). Very civilized way to make (less then half) a living.

BB

#10 john_the_bass

Leicester Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:This, that and t'other

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

played a wedding last night - we're an originals band, but we were given a list of songs and asked to learn them - not typical wedding stuff: Stone Roses, Kings Of Leon, Kooks, Fratellis, Jam, Sultans Of Ping, etc.

Everybody was up for it from the first note we played and the whole room was bouncing - excellent! Really good atmosphere - I suppose when you've got a room full of pissed people who are going nowhere, it's always going to be good!

#11 bass_ferret

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

Crawley Legion. One of our regulars. Went well but I had what I hope is a lead problem.

#12 Jase

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

Ours got cancelled :)

#13 dood

@DanVeallBassist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

No gig as such, but every Saturday we spend in excess of 10 hours in front of pro tools doin' a bit of 'wood shedding' ;o) Cant wait to get a full band together to put it into practice!! WOOT!

I've Recorded 250+ HD Bass Gear Video Reviews (and you'll find many here) - Full Archive list here on BassChat

Spotify Best Basslines Evaaar Playlist! You can add your favourite BASS tracks too! - MY BASSCHAT FEEDBACK

www.Instagram.com/DanVeallBassist - www.Facebook.com/DanVeallBassist

www.GuitarInteractiveMagazine.com

Professional Musician and Tutor, Workshop Leader, Remote Session Artist, Service and Tech.

Bergantino, D'Addario / Planet Waves, Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars.

TC Electronic, Zoom.

#14 tombboy

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

I'll let you know next Sunday! :huh:
Which reminds me.... The Loop are playing The Adam & Eve, Birmingham next Saturday (10th Nov) 8pm kick off!
WHAT A HIJACK!!!! :) :huh:

Edited by tombboy, 05 November 2007 - 12:37 AM.

#15 Mickeyboro

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Fulham FC

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

A fireworks party at a pub...unil they were forbidden to do the Fireworks by Health and Safety!

What is the world coming to? :)

V unpopular with the band by announcing 'Hard To Handle' (which they all hate, and was not onthe set list) as an encore, then congratulated when the pub went wild! :huh:
Fender Precision
Fender (MIJ) Jazz
Gibson EB-3L
Guild B301F fretless
Countryman Bass Uke
Aguilar TH500, Barefaced SC
MicroMark 801

#16 iamthewalrus

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Being with my wife & stepdaughter, playing bass guitar, watching good quality movies when the opportunity arises.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hiya,
Ours was at a Golf club on the outskirts of Leatherhead - we had a guest female vocalist whos dad is the club captain. She did a set on her own while we had a break with some backing tracks & then joined us for half a dozen numbers which she normally does with us in set 2.

Wasn't really sure how well we were going to do as most of the punters were over the age of 50!! We've got another gig there in three weeks with one of our old guitar players (keyboard player is on another gig that night).

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

#17 Buzz

Is not a robot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

View PostMickeyboro, on Nov 5 2007, 07:50 AM, said:

A fireworks party at a pub...unil they were forbidden to do the Fireworks by Health and Safety!

What is the world coming to? :)

V unpopular with the band by announcing 'Hard To Handle' (which they all hate, and was not onthe set list) as an encore, then congratulated when the pub went wild! :huh:

What the bloody thundering hell? H & S stopped fireworks?

Hope somebody nutted the tosser who was far too much of a jobsworth and spoilt a traditional night (closest weekend night to Nov 5th)

Play games on the internet a bit? Join me on www.5punk.co.uk

#18 Merton

Warning: May Cause Drowsiness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:50 PM

View Postsilverfoxnik, on Nov 4 2007, 08:03 PM, said:

Last night we were at The Crow's Nest in East Grinstead; again it was 1st floor but thankfully, they have a lift which makes a lot of difference when loading out at 1am in the morning!
Oooh, we play there a lot. What's yer band called? Are you on their Facebook page?

Have you been loving the fact that everytime you seem to go back there's suddely an extra half hour on their damn licence?!!! Hehe. I think the bar shuts at 1 or 1.30 now.

Anyhoo, back OT, I didn't gig this weekend, I moved into my flat and started painting and sorting the little electrical and shower problems!
Basses by ACG and Status Graphite - Amplification by Ashdown - Cables by rock-wire (OBBM)

Back in the Day - weddings, functions, parties
Boogie Monsters - live music for little monsters

Merton's feedback

#19 tauzero

The Voice of Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

Ours on Saturday night was a charidee gig - we regularly gig at the Kingstanding Warriors British Legion and one of their members has had cancer and been unable to work, so they ran a fundraiser to get him and his family some money for Christmas. No, we're not the economy version of Disneyland, he's getting better - sufficiently better to get up on stage and sing "Sweet Caroline" anyway. Good atmosphere, though it took the standard crap like UB40 to get them on their feet.

Which meant I didn't do the barn dance I was originally supposed to be doing (and which the other half was calling at). It's all good for the soul though, innit?
Coitum volaticum non dono

http://www.thelightning.co.uk - The Lightning - rock covers band
http://www.spiralsix.co.uk/ - Spiral Six - rock covers band
http://www.secondtimeround.org.uk - Second Time Round - acoustic duo

#20 whynot

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

Saturday was a function at Portsmouth Guildhall. Usual 9 piece line up but as a band I felt we were not firing on all cylinders. Sunday a wedding in London, and pleased to say back on form.

#21 Old Horse Murphy

Bob Parr's eldest son

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Interests:Every dog has its day

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

Not really a gig, but I had my first rehearsal with a potential new band in Reading last night.

It was due to start @7pm but due to an accident, I didn't get there until 8 and quite honestly, once I set up I really wasn't in the mood.

I found myself playing fistfuls of wrong notes, I somehow managed to wind myself up in the bass lead about 3 times and I had to use the Rehearsal studio's amp set up.

I must be getting old because I couldn't hear a note I was playing during certain songs and kept thinking I was playing flat.

I must admit, I do actually struggle to hear the bass more and more and we don't usually use monitors. A few people have suggested maybe looking at the Epifani 3 x 10 or the Schroeder will will apparently give more support to the bass player and allow me to hear myself better. Any ideas on this?

Got an email from the drummer from the band this morning saying they thought I fitted in really well and they want me back!! What do I know eh?
1989 Fender USA P Bass
2014 Music Man Stingray 5HH
2016 Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

Markbass/Bergantino Amplification

My Feedback: http://basschat.co.u...c=4154&hl=horse

#22 beerdragon

fully fledged member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

I must be getting old because I couldn't hear a note I was playing during certain songs and kept thinking I was playing flat.

I would have thought if you could'nt hear what you were playing it meant you were at least in tune with the rest of the band, hit a few wrong notes and they seem to stick out like a sore thumb plus the stares you get from other band members. speaking from personal experience that us. :)
All the gear and no idea.

#23 Old Horse Murphy

Bob Parr's eldest son

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Interests:Every dog has its day

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

View Postbeerdragon, on Nov 7 2007, 03:27 PM, said:

I would have thought if you could'nt hear what you were playing it meant you were at least in tune with the rest of the band, hit a few wrong notes and they seem to stick out like a sore thumb plus the stares you get from other band members. speaking from personal experience that us. :)

LOL- I gues you're right!! I think it was because I was playing with a new Bass too that I felt a bit self-conscious. I'd still like to HEAR my Bass rather than FEEL it : (
1989 Fender USA P Bass
2014 Music Man Stingray 5HH
2016 Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

Markbass/Bergantino Amplification

My Feedback: http://basschat.co.u...c=4154&hl=horse

#24 beerdragon

fully fledged member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

Just got back from a gig. it was in a pub in a high street. when we got there the Landlord asked if we could keep it down as he has had complaints about the noise. we did a song as a sound check and had a few claps from the punters and the landlord said that was ok, first time i've had applause in a sound check :) . as the night wore on and with windows and doors closed the volume crept up a bit (so did the heat) but no complaints from the landlord who gave us another half dozen dates for next year . not a bad night.
All the gear and no idea.

#25 s_u_y_*

Guaranteed GAS free for 1 year!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:05 AM

Had a gig at The Miller, London Bridge with the Jamie West Band. Gig went great, and we had a good turnout. We had to bring a good crowd because we hadn't worked with this promoter in a while. They had changed staff and had no idea who we were. Thankfully, we brought the most people there so it looks set to play in the venue we originally wanted, Spice of Life, Soho. Also, got a contact who works at the BBC and is interested in making a music video for us. I even got an offer from one of the acts to join them!

All in all it was a crucial gig that went well.

But on the flip-side of things, I now have a neckache from moving around on stage and also caught a chill which I still haven't recovered from. :)
s_u_y_*'s London car boot sale

1. Warwick Streamer Flightcase 95
2. Fender Soft Gig Bag 5
3. Fender Moulded Precision or Jazz Hardcase 85
4. Warwick Premium Softcase 7

#26 bassninja

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

Friday at The Fountain in Chichester. Went pretty well considering the band haven't even been in the same room for the last 3 months, what with other commitments etc (!) After 15 odd years of playing together, we know each other pretty well and the friendly crowd was behind us.

We do quite a lot of Grateful Dead/Little Feat/Allman Bros type stuff, and it was nice see people getting off on the jams.

Railway in Bognor Regis tonight with a jazzy/acoustic trio, and I'm right up for it... :)
Twitter

Monster cable,
Curry
Tea

#27 obbm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

Second Time Around played the Cricketers in Rowtown, Addlestone near Woking last night. Appreciative crowd, happy landlord and some return dates.

After the sound problems at the last two gigs (see Gramma Pad thread) we seem to have found a very acceptable solution to bass boominess and overall balance.

1. Bass amp on Gramma pad to isolate from the floor.

2. Both guitars now on opposite side of drums to me.

3. Both guitar amps (Marshall 2x12s) on castors and not sat directly on the floor.

As a result nobody was fighting to hear themselves and the overall sound level was lower and better balanced. I found I was playing at a lower amp setting but still able to hear myself very clearly even though I have a significant hearing deficit. The wired in-ear system stayed in the gig-bag. I must try and record the next gig in Guildford on December 8th just to be absolutely sure that it sounds OK out front.
obbm-cables

Bass Guitars - Musicman, Fender, Sadowsky, Spector
Amps - Markbass LM2
Cabs - Bergantino CN112
Effects - Mesa Boogie, Electro Harmonix, Boss

Feedback is here

"There is no upper age limit for Rock 'N' Roll"

#28 Rich

All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,957 posts
  • Interests:Bodybuilding, snowboarding, kung-fu, fibbing about my Interests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

Saturday night at the Fleece in Bristol... always a good night there, but the placed was absolutely rammed to the rafters last night... they hit the fire limit and were turning people away by 9 o'clock. Support from a very good covers band The Collective, nice guys and some unusual covers well played. We had one or two new tunes in our set, seemed to go down well. Crowd were in good voice, brilliant atmosphere and god it was hot! Too funky in heeyar..! A great night.
Bassist's eye view of the punters:
Posted Image

"Incredibly, in a country where previous Presidents have actually had to defeat Nazis, we now have one who cannot even be bothered to f***ing condemn them" (John Oliver)

Basschat Terms & Conditions *** BC Forum Guidelines *** BC Rules & Guidelines for the Marketplace *** Feedback for Rich

Posted Image

#29 theosd

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

View PostRich, on Nov 11 2007, 02:25 PM, said:

Saturday night at the Fleece in Bristol... always a good night there, but the placed was absolutely rammed to the rafters last night... they hit the fire limit and were turning people away by 9 o'clock. Support from a very good covers band The Collective, nice guys and some unusual covers well played. We had one or two new tunes in our set, seemed to go down well. Crowd were in good voice, brilliant atmosphere and god it was hot! Too funky in heeyar..! A great night.
Bassist's eye view of the punters:
Posted Image

Were you playing YMCA at the time? :huh:

My gig last night was cancelled at our end, which is a shame cos the Bear and Raggard Staff is a cool venue, doesn't look like we'll be welcomed back there anytime soon though :)
My Feedback

Spector Legend 5
Early 70's Ibanez Fretless Precision
GK MB120

#30 OldGit

Old's Cool bass man

• In memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

View PostOld Horse Murphy, on Nov 7 2007, 02:47 PM, said:

I must admit, I do actually struggle to hear the bass more and more and we don't usually use monitors. A few people have suggested maybe looking at the Epifani 3 x 10 or the Schroeder will will apparently give more support to the bass player and allow me to hear myself better. Any ideas on this?

Before the highly audible Schroeder 1212L arrived to transform my life ... I used to make sure the 2K slider was up highish on the bass amp - whatever rig I was using. That means I can hear it OK.
You may like to try that but yes, the Schroeder is very easy to hear - scarily easy... it's driven me back to lessons to sort out a few problems that, beforehand, only me and my bass were aware of .. now the whole world can hear them :)

Edited by OldGit, 12 November 2007 - 04:54 PM.

"Gimme likkle bass, make me wind up me waist"
Band: Jellied Reels Rocky Barn Dance Band. Bristol

My BC threads: | OldGit's Band Website Help Service | Basschat Tips for Playing Weddings thread | My BC Feedback

Japanese Fenders For Sale: Jaguar Bass Oly White | Jazz 62 RI Gunmetal Blue | Jazz 62 RI Black | Precision 57RI Black, US Pickups
"My favorites [Fenders] are the MIJ reissues" - Bill Nash. I'm with you there, Bill
Horn Reflectors For Sale: Sax and Trumpet Stage Sound Reflectors. Enables horn players to hear themselves and cheaper than IEMs...

Gear:
The A Team Wood & Tronics Ergon Custom 4 ("Rosa") Jon Shuker Custom P5 | Markbass LMK | Bergantino AE112 x 2 | GRAMMA Pad
The B Team: Stagg EDB | Roland Cube 100
The Rat Team: Rat MIJ 62RI P bass | Rat Peavey Combo 300 BW

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users