6173 replies to this topic

#31 OldGit

Old's Cool bass man

• In memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

View PostRich, on Nov 11 2007, 02:25 PM, said:

Saturday night at the Fleece in Bristol... always a good night there, but the placed was absolutely rammed to the rafters last night... they hit the fire limit and were turning people away by 9 o'clock. Support from a very good covers band The Collective, nice guys and some unusual covers well played. We had one or two new tunes in our set, seemed to go down well. Crowd were in good voice, brilliant atmosphere and god it was hot! Too funky in heeyar..! A great night.
Bassist's eye view of the punters:
Posted Image

Oh I remember that view :)

Is that one time Soul Destroyers lead girly vocalist Miss Sally Vate there in the front with the black t shirt and watch?
"Gimme likkle bass, make me wind up me waist"
Band: Jellied Reels Rocky Barn Dance Band. Bristol

My BC threads: | OldGit's Band Website Help Service | Basschat Tips for Playing Weddings thread | My BC Feedback

Japanese Fenders For Sale: Jaguar Bass Oly White | Jazz 62 RI Gunmetal Blue | Jazz 62 RI Black | Precision 57RI Black, US Pickups
"My favorites [Fenders] are the MIJ reissues" - Bill Nash. I'm with you there, Bill
Horn Reflectors For Sale: Sax and Trumpet Stage Sound Reflectors. Enables horn players to hear themselves and cheaper than IEMs...

Gear:
The A Team Wood & Tronics Ergon Custom 4 ("Rosa") Jon Shuker Custom P5 | Markbass LMK | Bergantino AE112 x 2 | GRAMMA Pad
The B Team: Stagg EDB | Roland Cube 100
The Rat Team: Rat MIJ 62RI P bass | Rat Peavey Combo 300 BW

#32 narnia

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

I certainly looks like her Si ....I recognise a couple of other faces there too!
..........so take my hand, squeeze it tight, make some light in the darkness....................

#33 walbassist

No Wals now, just Franz basses

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

Had an impromptu gig with the two guitarists from my blues band last night in the White Hart at Witley near Guildford. Just three voices, a Fylde Mandolin, a Lowden acoustic and my Martin acoustic bass. No drums, no amps, no keys, no mikes.

We played for about two hours and just reeled out loads of stuff (we know a lot of material - we've been playing together on and off for over 20 years!). Was a great time.

And in tribute to Rich's post above, here's a bassist's eye of what's in front of me at most gigs with my other band...

Posted Image

Cheers all

Gareth

Edited by walbassist, 13 November 2007 - 08:03 PM.

#34 beerdragon

fully fledged member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

View PostBeLow, on Nov 13 2007, 09:09 PM, said:

21st re-union gig - gig review on the 'gig review page' spookily enough

http://www.itsmymarket.com/shot-in-the-dark/

HaHa :) 5 musicians and a drummer,
All the gear and no idea.

#35 JoeS

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

Not a gig but a first rehearsal for 6 months. Been together for 2 years now and we've never had a rehearsal like it, everyone was enjoying it, played and wrote for three and a half hours non-stop and even waited until after to go the kebab shop! First gig for 6 months is in two days and I absolutely cannot wait.

#36 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Also not a gig, but a jam session - first time I've turned up with an Ashbory.

Initial response from other bassists present = "Excellent! Wanted to try one of those for years."
Initial response from drummers present = "WTF is that?"
Initial response from guitarists present = "You cannot be serious. You can't turn up here and play a toy."

Subsequent response from all = My Ashbory has now been re-named "Jack's Tardis bass".

:)
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ My Basses +++ Current active bands: Junkyard Dogs + King Ralph +++ Gone, but not forgotten: Dani Molino + Karena K + Mick's Lawmen + The Sapphire Grooves + Westbound Piccadilly + Long String Hawkers

It's never too late to have a Happy childhood.

#37 beerdragon

fully fledged member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

I had one of those gigs where i felt like chucking my bass out of the car window on the way home.
i've played the songs dozens of times but it was fumble here fumble there. starting when i should'nt have,absolute crap. we played on kind of verandah the guitarist had all the room the other end and i was stuck up against PA speakers almost sitting on my rig. almost hit singer a couple of times. i'll get him next time :). and if we had'nt brought people with us there would have been no one there. but the guy has booked again and said it's bit to near xmas and poeple are saving their money. he also said he would lay on free mini bus so we could bring punters next time.
All the gear and no idea.

#38 silverfoxnik

"Waiting for the gift of sound & vision.."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:08 AM

We played The Elms in Worthing last night and it was an amazing gig.. Packed house, mixture of people who know us and those that don't and we went down an absolute storm!!

Probably the band's best ever gig :)
So many basses, so little time...

My Feedback

www.replaysounds.co.uk

#39 WalMan

Bass whooer for hire :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

Nice one Nik. I must get to see you one day, and may even have another go at getting a gig at the Elms. Been told its got a bit more rocky recently. We did it a couple or three years ago just prior to Christmas to the PRS man checking up on their licence and what we played . Nightmare :)

Just back from a killer night at The Fountain in Chi (always a good crowd singing along there). And the landlord was so happy ('cos he was busier than the Slug & Lettuce next door all night he reckoned) he upped the cash completely unprompted :huh: I wish they could all be like tonight!!!! Decent landlord, noisy crowd - including some loverly ladeez - MARVELLOUS :huh:
A fool proof plan & an airtight alibi

Current Gear
Basses: G&L + Wal - Effects & Stuff: EBS & Boss - Amps: Genz Benz & Aguilar + Barefaced - Synth bits: DSI MoPho, Laptop & soft synths & McMillen 12Step
For Sale: BOSS CE20

Useless at: Responding to PM's about bass mags available for giveaway

WalMan's BC Feedback

#40 ARGH

Tweed-Metal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:51 AM

Gig at the Travellers arms in Stanley near Wakefield,played 1st 2 numbers on the 9,just to give it a live airing....switched to my 5 for the rest of the gig,weird acoustics in that place,they enjoyed it...1st gig wearing contacts..nice to see again from the stages edge.

"Boys of summer" REALLY went down well,not bad after 1 rehearsal.

#41 Blink

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

Played at the Wagon in Wix (North Essex) last night. It was the first outing for my new Yamaha RBX JM2 and all went well despite the band members having colds (me and the guitarist) or recovering from (real) flu (Drummer) or nursing a very sore throat (singer).

The crowd enjoyed it as did the Landlord who has rebooked us for next year. Result!!!!!

N

#42 Mickeyboro

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Fulham FC

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

Return booking at Gentleman Jim, Alton, where we played against the Rugby World Cup (!) six weeks ago.

Got a February gig out of it, and warm reception for the new song of the night - UFO's Rock Bottom. Dind't know we knew so many headbangers!
Fender Precision
Fender (MIJ) Jazz
Gibson EB-3L
EBMM MusicMan Stingray
Guild B301F fretless
Countryman Bass Uke
Aguilar TH500, Barefaced SC
MicroMark 801

#43 OldGit

Old's Cool bass man

• In memorium
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

View Postbeerdragon, on Dec 2 2007, 12:24 AM, said:

I had one of those gigs where i felt like chucking my bass out of the car window on the way home.
i've played the songs dozens of times but it was fumble here fumble there. starting when i should'nt have,absolute crap. we played on kind of verandah the guitarist had all the room the other end and i was stuck up against PA speakers almost sitting on my rig. almost hit singer a couple of times. i'll get him next time :huh:. and if we had'nt brought people with us there would have been no one there. but the guy has booked again and said it's bit to near xmas and poeple are saving their money. he also said he would lay on free mini bus so we could bring punters next time.

ha ha maybe you should play like that all the time if that happened:)
Sounds like a roaring success given the limitations. When the booker books you again thats a hit and when the offer to lay on a bus for your mates that's an outstanding success :)
"Gimme likkle bass, make me wind up me waist"
Band: Jellied Reels Rocky Barn Dance Band. Bristol

My BC threads: | OldGit's Band Website Help Service | Basschat Tips for Playing Weddings thread | My BC Feedback

Japanese Fenders For Sale: Jaguar Bass Oly White | Jazz 62 RI Gunmetal Blue | Jazz 62 RI Black | Precision 57RI Black, US Pickups
"My favorites [Fenders] are the MIJ reissues" - Bill Nash. I'm with you there, Bill
Horn Reflectors For Sale: Sax and Trumpet Stage Sound Reflectors. Enables horn players to hear themselves and cheaper than IEMs...

Gear:
The A Team Wood & Tronics Ergon Custom 4 ("Rosa") Jon Shuker Custom P5 | Markbass LMK | Bergantino AE112 x 2 | GRAMMA Pad
The B Team: Stagg EDB | Roland Cube 100
The Rat Team: Rat MIJ 62RI P bass | Rat Peavey Combo 300 BW

#44 spike

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

I played in High Wycombe last night with my general purpose pub covers band. We were adequate rather than good but the landlady liked us so we got two bookings for next year out of it.

#45 MB1

Not Now!..Silent Singer!

• Global Moderators
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

MB1. :)

Friday Night at Legends in Rochdale,not enough room to swing a cat! but appreciative ,rowdy audience,were great! Good Gig!
Many Thanks to all involved! :huh:

#46 nottswarwick

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

8 piece function band gig at the Hilton near East Mids Airport, a sports ball.

Huge stage and PA and light rig, and loads of guest singers etc, great but tiring. Listening to the desk recording and my Gand L is sounding awesome!

Chris
THIS IS ME- GUITAR BASS AND DRUM TEACHER

MY FEEDBACK

Modified Yamaha BBN4 with G&L jazz pickups installed
Hohner Jack Custom
Genz Benz GBE750 and NEOX212
Genz Benz Contour 500 210 combo
Gallien Krueger MB200
Gramma Pad

#47 silverfoxnik

"Waiting for the gift of sound & vision.."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

View PostWalMan, on Dec 2 2007, 02:00 AM, said:

Nice one Nik. I must get to see you one day, and may even have another go at getting a gig at the Elms. Been told its got a bit more rocky recently. We did it a couple or three years ago just prior to Christmas to the PRS man checking up on their licence and what we played . Nightmare :)

Just back from a killer night at The Fountain in Chi (always a good crowd singing along there). And the landlord was so happy ('cos he was busier than the Slug & Lettuce next door all night he reckoned) he upped the cash completely unprompted :huh: I wish they could all be like tonight!!!! Decent landlord, noisy crowd - including some loverly ladeez - MARVELLOUS :huh:
Hi Al,

Great to be given some respect by the landlord like that! Thoroughly deserved I'm sure... Regarding gigs, you guys and Tony, our guitarist who books all of our gigs, should have a chat about different venues etc..

See you soon,

Nik
So many basses, so little time...

My Feedback

www.replaysounds.co.uk

#48 niceguyhomer

Fred Elliott's stunt double

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • Interests:Playing bass and amateur gynaecology

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

We were at The Black Bull in Preston town centre and it was packed to the rafters There was a really good atmosphere and we went down a storm which is just as well as we nearly had to call it off at the last minute - singer had a temperature and sore throat, drummer chucked up twice before we went on. Lot of bugs going around up here.
Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

#49 Platypus

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

View Postniceguyhomer, on Dec 2 2007, 07:50 PM, said:

We were at The Black Bull in Preston town centre and it was packed to the rafters There was a really good atmosphere and we went down a storm which is just as well as we nearly had to call it off at the last minute - singer had a temperature and sore throat, drummer chucked up twice before we went on. Lot of bugs going around up here.

There you go Homer - two weeks ago you were threatening to chuck it all in due to half empty venues and unappreciative punters :)

P

#50 mikeh

Eat - Sleep - Play Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:Fishing and Music

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

View Postniceguyhomer, on Dec 2 2007, 07:50 PM, said:

I wish we'd come there, ended up at the Hop Pocket altough only stayed a short time as they had on the worst Elvis tribute ever!!! lol Good band on there next week though :)

Fender Power Jazz Special, Wizards, J-Retro

Orange Terror Bass 500

Markbass std 151 HF

TC Electronic Nova Compressor

#51 elom

mostly harmless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:22 PM

An odd one last night. It had been the town carnival that afternoon which finished at the other end of town and the pub was deserted. I was just waiting for the tumbleweed to starting blowing across. At one point we were down to just 6 punters (and one of those had passed out!) It's hard to rock-out to an empty room and the sound of 2 people clapping is almost embarrassing. Still we put in a bit of effort and the lucky few enjoyed themselves.

The landlady apologised for the lack of punters, said how much she appreciated the fact that we still put on a show and booked us up for next year. So all in all an odd night, but a good one.
Gear:

Fender Performer (1985), Westone Thunder 2 (1984), Nate Medel Fender Precision, Harley Benton HBB30BK, Crimson Custom
Mark Bass Little Mark 2, Bergantino AE112 x2

#52 niceguyhomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

View PostPlatypus, on Dec 2 2007, 10:04 PM, said:

There you go Homer - two weeks ago you were threatening to chuck it all in due to half empty venues and unappreciative punters :)

P

Yeh - it was like the good old days - we needed that one. :huh:

View Postmikeh, on Dec 2 2007, 10:06 PM, said:

I wish we'd come there, ended up at the Hop Pocket altough only stayed a short time as they had on the worst Elvis tribute ever!!! lol Good band on there next week though :huh:

You'd have enjoyed it Mike - it was a stonker. We're down in Amersham this coming Saturday otherwise I would have come to the HP with you.
Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

#53 jwbassman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

Proper Theatre Gig at the Brindley in Runcorn last night supporting the singer who normal sings a few songs at our regular monthly gig...

Band played and sounded well, generally a very good night all round - only issue a slight problem with my DI but thankfully nothing too serious :)

Feeling a bit knackered today *yawns before falling asleep at desk* as it was a bit of a late one and of course you need to unwind a bit when you get home...
Double Bass:
Martin 3/4 Concert

Bass Guitars:
Overwaters x 2

Amplification:
MESA Walkabout Scout 1x12 Combo

my feedback

#54 Freuds_Cat

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:38 AM

Not that many (if any) here knows Adelaide venues but Sat night we Played the Gaslight Tavern in Brompton with the recording gear all setup and running. Good gig but the 1st set was a bit dry and not loose enough, thinking to much about the extra mics onstage I guess. The rest of the night was a cracker once we got into it and forgot about the recording.

Sunday arvo was at the Bacchus Bar in Henley Beach. The venue looks directly west out to sea into the sunset. That seriously went off. Packed crowd, hot weather with some steamy rain that came straight in from the water. Free Handles of dark Ale, big plates of fresh Calamari for 3 quid (7 bucks) and a crowd that always reminds you why it is that you like to play live.

Gotta love our English place names, Henley, Brompton. Having spent 3 years in the UK it still gives me a chuckle when I see 'em.

#55 mikeh

Eat - Sleep - Play Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:Fishing and Music

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

Superb gig last night, its ones like these that makes you thankfull for playing in a band with mates.
It was at the Hop Pocket in Chorley, really good crowd. The table full of women doing shots always helps!!! :)

Fender Power Jazz Special, Wizards, J-Retro

Orange Terror Bass 500

Markbass std 151 HF

TC Electronic Nova Compressor

#56 spinynorman

My name's not Norman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

In a very small pub 5 mins from where I live - but still had to load the car up and drive there. :) During the first set the place pretty much emptied, apart from our tame followers, so we were worried, but as the second set started it filled up again. We expected to finish at 11, but ended up repeating most of the first set as "encores". So finished at 12 and got a booking for Feb, so turned out well.
Fender MIJ Std Precision, Gibson '74 Natural Ripper, Gibson '78 Ebony Ripper, Markbass CMD121H
Selling: Kala U-Bass Mahogany, Advent Tegra Note 7" tablet

#57 crez5150

It's Black and it's Graphite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

Actually Played at Knebworth House last night...... very posh do....... the sound limiter knocked us out 8 times during the 1st set....... bet Robbie never had that problem when he played there!!!!

Booked again for next year too so not too sad!

Jay
Don't slap a Ho..... Slap a Bass!

Posted Image
http://thesignatures.co.uk/

#58 niceguyhomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

Just had the weekend from hell - an Ebay gig on Friday night (F** this, everything's going on Ebay on Monday) in Lytham St Annes - disinterested punters etc, it was like playing at Moscow Conservative Club. Saturday, we did a wedding near Amersham - about 240 miles from home.

The gearbox on the Mercedes van I'd borrowed from work went 20 miles into the journey, didn't realise it at the time but that was a bit of a blessing, if it'd gone on the M40...jeez. Luckily, we were able to borrow another van and transferred the gear in torrential rain - lovely.

It was a horrible journey with the weather, the M6 was down to 50mph for a lot of the way. Anyway, we arrived at 5.30 - six hours after leaving home, knackered and stressed. They were in the middle of their main course as we arrived and we were advised to come back at 6.45 to set up. We trundled off to the pub next door and sank a couple. Truly lovely.

When we got back in the hall, there was nowhere to move, it was packed to the rafters and worse still, the stage was full of reindeer, fake trees and fake snow. The 'get in' was along a narrow 30 metre long muddy path that was pitch dark and lined with tree stumps and roots - lovely.

We eventually got all the gear in and started setting up. We agreed to do 'the music' too, so our guitarist spent about 40 minutes trying to set that up through the PA while the rest of us were pestered to death by the 'best man' who was oblivious to the agreement that we'd go on at 9.30 - he wanted us on at 8.00 silly c. He was genuinely lucky not to have got a good tonking and it took a lot of persuading to stop our singer from planting him.

Finally, we got the gear ready and....no time to do a sound check! Lovely. Fortunately, we showed a bit of character and pulled a good'n out the bag, which was miraculous.

Did I mention there was no bar at the hall? Tinned f***ing beer?

After the gig, we agreed to collect the gear in the morning and ordered a taxi to the hotel they'd booked us into - Holiday Inn in High Wycombe. Only a 25 taxi ride away and they'd booked us in to two double rooms - our drummer is female - so she needed one of the rooms, which left the three blokes fighting over a double bed. I'm extremely fussy who I share a bed with and by now it was getting on for 2.30am so I went back to reception, grabbed Vladimir by the knackers and advised him to sort it out quickly, which he did.

Anyway, the weekend was marginally rescued by a sumptuous breakfast the following morning which set us up for the long journey home. It was supposed to be a dream gig, we were paid a lot of money etc but we'll think long and hard before doing anything like that again.

Rock and roll my arse.

#59 Old Horse Murphy

Bob Parr's eldest son

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Every dog has its day

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:05 AM

Wedding Reception Saturday night at London Irish Rugby club (my old stomping or should that be "stamping" ground).

We went down a storm and the only downside was when I had to turn down many, many offers of drinks as I was driving.

First time I've used my Schroeder cab in anger and I was blown away.

Which song went down best? Whisky in the Jar of course!!
1989 Fender USA P Bass
2016 Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass
1995 Fender USA Fretless P Bass

Markbass/Bergantino Amplification

My Feedback: http://basschat.co.u...c=4154&hl=horse

#60 TPJ

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

Gig at a club with a well known soul group. We the band played great, but the 4 singers...sounded like a tarzan competition :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users