Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played at the Iron Road Rock Bar in Evesham as part of a battle of the bands. The stage was so damn hot I ended up jumping off the stage to stand under a ceiling fan!

Sadly we didn't get thru to the next stage but we played a killer set (considering our lead guitarist was using a guitar he hasn't used before thru an amp he'd never used before..thanks to some theiving C**TS). The owner of the bar really enjoyed our set and wants us to come back as soon as our gear situation is all sorted.

Just an average weds gig with my big hair 80's metal band down in Winchester. Good crowd in a good bar. Oh yeah we had Steve White and Woody from Bastille on drums for a couple of songs.......as you do.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1397384459' post='2423348']
Last night was brutal. Everything that could go wrong did and I will not go into detail, but the guitar player being tuned to concert pitch (we tune a half step down) set up the night from the off, as our opening number sounded like a bag of spanners falling down a stairs.
on Friday night we played a dingy rock bar in a small town here in the west of Ireland and it was a great gig. the band played really well, but last night.....enough said.
[/quote]

hilarious..I cant imagine how that must have sounded, very funny..

Just got in from my first gig as Welsh Floyd.

Basically two of us from my old Floyd band have reformed with 3 people from another disbanded Floyd band and a keyboard player that we all know well. We've been together for exactly 2 weeks and had 3 rehearsals. However, as we are all hard working professionals we had an absolute blast!!

1 hour in the local Harley Davidson festival (a gig that I had booked as the old Floyd band that we honoured as they didn't want to). We went down brilliantly and had a standing ovation. Even better we've picked up a few future bookings! Awesome!

I had a few bits of my own playing I wasn't completely happy with. But I will listen to the recordings and beat myself up in my own time :P

However, the crowd loved us. :D

Was also lovely to see and catch up with a basschatter, the gorgeous Mr Fretbuzz :D

Edited by SpaceChick

The dep bass player in my pop covers trio (in which I play guitar and sing) calls at 4pm to say he has car problems but will do his best to sort out transport for the gig. He lives neither nearby nor on the way to the venue. At 6pm, I am on the way to the gig (some 60 miles away) with the drummer (and a car full of kit) when I get a call from said bass player to say he definitely can't make it. We pull into the motorway services and I ring Terry (Fubar of this parish), he turns up and does a grand job, the night is saved.

Phew! We could so easily have become a very poor excuse for the White Stripes.

Back from one of our regular bookings and my least fave of all the venues. Frequently seems to be a fight waiting to happen and I virtually ended up in the middle of one as I was taking my bass, ext lead and lights out to the car got sandwiched in the doorway as one drunk thug was trying to get back in whilst a second drunk thug was pushing me from behind so he could get out at the other one. Police were called eventually when the bouncers looked like they may be outnumbered. All back home in one piece and cash dutifully tucked away. Alternative Lidl trolley given a spin tonight, piled plenty of gear on it.

Edited by KevB

Friday was a pub in town, brilliant gig - great payday weekend crowd, we played really well and had a superb drummer - it was the first time he'd played with us, infact first time we'd met him, but he killed it, he should hopefully be doing a lot more with us. Buzzing after that one, we were supposed to finish at midnight but kept going until 20 past as we here having such a good time we didn't want to stop. The wife came out too as we had a babysitter, which was great, though she did drink half my earnings :lol:

Saturday was a garden party at a massive house just outside Horsham: swimming pool, tennis court, kid's adventure playground in the grounds, snooker hall and an Audi Q7 on the driveway - the works; the client was an MD of a marketing company and had clearly done very well for himself.

Not a huge number of people to start with, but pretty busy for the last 45 mins or so, we played well and the audience was having a great time by the end, got some good feedback and hope to pick up some more rich clients off the back of it :)

I made a couple of daft mistakes I doubt anyone but me picked up on, will have to work on those at home.

Couple of pics from last night

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/Mobile%20Uploads/20140802_185431_zpsyptuhseq.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
We're set-up infront of the swimming pool there.

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/Mobile%20Uploads/20140802_190643_zpshxdjkbwo.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
View from the terrace where had a quiet pre-show drink - it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1407015793' post='2516750']
Just got in from my first gig as Welsh Floyd.

Basically two of us from my old Floyd band have reformed with 3 people from another disbanded Floyd band and a keyboard player that we all know well. We've been together for exactly 2 weeks and had 3 rehearsals. However, as we are all hard working professionals we had an absolute blast!!

1 hour in the local Harley Davidson festival (a gig that I had booked as the old Floyd band that we honoured as they didn't want to). We went down brilliantly and had a standing ovation. Even better we've picked up a few future bookings! Awesome!

I had a few bits of my own playing I wasn't completely happy with. But I will listen to the recordings and beat myself up in my own time :P

However, the crowd loved us. :D

Was also lovely to see and catch up with a basschatter, the gorgeous Mr Fretbuzz :D
[/quote]

For some reason I missed the fact that your original band had split up.
Good to hear that you are sorted and it went well!!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1407028861' post='2516807']
Back from one of our regular bookings and my least fave of all the venues. Frequently seems to be a fight waiting to happen and I virtually ended up in the middle of one as I was taking my bass, ext lead and lights out to the car got sandwiched in the doorway as one drunk thug was trying to get back in whilst a second drunk thug was pushing me from behind so he could get out at the other one. Police were called eventually when the bouncers looked like they may be outnumbered. All back home in one piece and cash dutifully tucked away. Alternative Lidl trolley given a spin tonight, piled plenty of gear on it.
[/quote]
Would that be just to the north of Bulwell by any chance Kev? :rolleyes:

Just got back from playing Nozstock in Herefordshire.
Played early evening on the Friday on the second stage. The field was empty as we went on stage but as soon as we hit the first few bars of the forst song it filled up and 3 songs in the place was rammed and everyone was having a great time. :)
Bloody love festivals I do!

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1407528668' post='2521590']
I had my first gig today at BIMM Bristol. Had to learn a song every morning Monday- Thursday between 10-1pm and play with a band in the afternoon, then today perform all 4 songs to an audience. Thing was I was the only bass player so I ended up in 3 bands and played 12 :-D
[/quote]

Brill!! Will there be more after this?

We were at the Cinque Ports social club in Uckfield last night, standard social club gig really: quiet first set, busy second set. Went down very well, however at the end of the night the former treasurer who had booked us previously came over and said they were stopping having bands there.

They do have a mad door policy there too, four people came to see us, but were turned away for not being members, when telling us this the manager also said we could sign in two people each, so god knows why they were turned away. Why on Earth would you not let in people who want to spend money in youe establishment? I really think the Social Club business model doesn't work very well these days.

Not bad, went down a storm.
We had two deps on the gig ...and it isn't a busking gig, IMO, but one was the old gtr so
he had his stuff covered. The keyboard guy had 5 days notice to learn a set and swap out a few keys
and did really well. We swapped around the stage set-up and the result was I was not near the
keys and couldn't hear them as well. The new P.A aquitted itself well as we got very good comments on the sound
and we played a lot quieter...so that means our regular keys is the noisey bugger... !!! Singer didn't strain his voice
so all in all, we found out a few things that will be useful.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1407671396' post='2522751']
Ah, The [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cinque Ports social club in Uckfield, been there and done that. Don't want to do it again. Had to play quieter than a quiet thing in a quiet place.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

They didn't ask us to turn down the instruments (and we had the kit and bass through the PA). They did ask us to turm down the Ipod during the break and move some bits away from the fire exit. I get the impression they always like to have a moan about something.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1407682158' post='2522935']
They didn't ask us to turn down the instruments (and we had the kit and bass through the PA). They did ask us to turm down the Ipod during the break and move some bits away from the fire exit. I get the impression[b] they always like to have a moan about something.[/b]
[/quote]

That kinda goes for every Social club I have ever played!

2 gigs this weekend, friday night local young farmers marquee dance. Absolutely persisting down. Low turn out for the first part of the evening, which was just as well cos the rock covers band I was playing in had guitarist volume issues again and the drummer was doing everything at breakneck tempos and having timimg issues. After the set I spoke to said guitarist and told him I was gone. Same dude who just wanted me to root note everything! On with my second band, much better with about 100 pissed farmers in now and up for a party. Best part of the evening was when our original (and best) guitarist wandered up to us and asked for his old job back! Result!!!!! He played with us on the second half of the set and I couldn't stop smiling. Our original line up is back and sounding even better with two guitars again. Did I really say that out loud LOL. Sunday gig, wedding at posh hotel, bride and groom are rock fans, superb. Rocking set and not too many weddingy type tunes. Good crowd, booze n food laid on too! Finished by 1130 pm and no work on Monday morning. Only downside having to hand over the the gig money to the missus, apparently the horse needs fed or something? :blush:

Played Upstairs at the Ritzy in Brixton last night sans drums. Great turn out and good sound with vocals and acoustic through the PA and my bass through the MB200 / Wizzy 10.

Supporting a guy called Jack Harris. Not that keen on his songs but a really nice guy and fantastic guitarist... a good night was had by all.

Promoter was a bit odd though. I understand wanting people to be quiet when the acts are on but yelling "shush" at people seemed a bit over the top. I always thought that a band had to earn the right to be listened too, by having engaging material and an interesting performance that holds peoples attention.... otherwise it's just self indulgent widdling infront of people forced to sit and listen to you.

Edited by CamdenRob