Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

https://theconvent.netgig.co.uk/event/george-montague-uk-tour/

Played the Convent, just outside Stroud in Gloucestershire, for George Montague. Amazing venue, top notch gear including provided in ear monitors (jury's still out) but they provided us with a two course dinner from the private members club, had the wagyu beef. Don't get to gig with these guys often enough, George is a great singer songwriter and Dan Foster on sax and Tom Hooper on drums are properly guilt edged players, so I really have to scrub up! All in all, the once in a blue moon gig where everything goes just so. Happy days.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1410206822' post='2547183']
We played at small Nottingham festival Medfest on Saturday. When we arrived, I was disappointed to see a sparse turnout, with a smattering of people passively sitting watching the great Mike Rutherford Band pumping out some blues crowd-pleasers. A couple of reggae acts followed and then us as the final act. Thankfully a group of friends/fans came along and we got a great atmosphere going, with people dancing and kids with too much candy floss in their systems dancing and running like mad things.
My six year old daughter, Maya, had been promised last year that she could sing with the band on her favourite song 'Lollipop' so we decided that this would be the gig. It was lovely having her on stage, and she did brilliantly - she was chuffed to bits and is really proud, especially as she was very nervous beforehand.

Thats a really nice pic. Welll done Maya
[/quote]

Crap.
Pub that had stopped doing Friday night's started doing them again. Maximum of 20 people at best.
First set nowt but problem's with one of guitarses pedals, and his response was to fiddle when he should have been soloing :blink:

I spent much of the first set staring at my complicated amp wondering how to get the best out of my new (to me) Markbass cabs.

Thankfully tonight is a gig where we know a lot of locals are coming to see us. :D

Had a good gig this afternoon and a better one this evening at a friendly little pub near Swindon. Second gig in a day is always better than the first more relaxed. Bit tired now though!

The audience at the second gig kept asking to hear [url="https://thewirebirdswithjennyhaan.bandcamp.com/track/white-rabbit"]our opening song [/url]again, ended up playing it three times to keep them happy!

Edited by FinnDave

An excellent gig was had at the Concorde2 in Brighton, several band faux ups but rallied and saved magnificently ( and luckily on more than one occasion lol)

A fairly large and enthusiastic crowd reminded us of exactly why we do what we do. I hope we can play there again.

And of course, Dave Grohl and his cohorts graced that same stage less than a week before, I did seriously consider licking it at one point ;)

Edited by sprocketflup

Played a wedding gig tonight as a dep for a covers band. WAY too loud - one elderly chap, who was sitting right at the front, spent about 5 songs with his fingers in his ears, until some helpful soul led him away to a quieter spot. I had requested (and received) a set list, but it bore little resemblance to the sets that were played. Fortunately I had learned all their numbers, but it would have been nice to know what the opening number was going to be.

An inconsistent drummer, and a guitarist who hadn't got his levels sorted, made this a less-than-enjoyable experience. At least there was a decent wedge at the end of the night. The band think they are a great functions band, but in fact they are a mediocre pub band that has managed to blag some wedding/party gigs. And yes, I have taken into account the fact that they were working with a dep. I think I'm going to be 'busy' if they call me again ;)

By way of complete contrast, I've just been booked for a choir's Christmas show. The choir mistress has helpfully emailed me some of the bass parts, and mp3s of her arrangements, so that will give me a head start. Expect a report in this thread just before Christmas!

Sunday gig, 3:00-7:00. Everything was cool.[list=1]
[*]Cool Room
[*]Cool crowd
[*]Great stage volume and our stage monitors sounded awesome.I understand the house sound was great too.
[*]The band was tight with lots of good stage energy
[*]Good pay.
[/list]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1411429281' post='2559514']
Sunday gig, 3:00-7:00. Everything was cool.[list=1]
[*]Cool Room
[*]Cool crowd
[*]Great stage volume and our stage monitors sounded awesome.I understand the house sound was great too.
[*]The band was tight with lots of good stage energy
[*]Good pay.
[/list]

Blue
[/quote]

I love it when a plan comes together!

Two festival gigs over the weekend.

First in Liverpool on Saturday to play "Chickenstock" organised by Free Rock n Roll's Pete Bentham and held at a cricket club. A good crowd turned out to see us, although it was a bit disconcerting to discover that the cricketers were partying harder than us in the adjacent bar...

Back to Nottingham at 4.30 in the morning and then off at 10.30 to Northampton to play the opening slot of the second day of Bedlam Breakout - probably the biggest psychobilly event in the UK. The festival was at Roadmenders, a venue I'd seen mentioned regularly when looking at tour dates for my favourite bands, but never actually been to. A nice big stage and excellent sound both from the monitors and FoH. We got a great turn out considering that we were opening the second day at 1.30 in the afternoon and all those who drifted in from the bar area to see what was going on, on the stage stayed to the end of the set.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10703791_10202187780010575_2119122415871002634_n_zpsb7c657ca.jpg[/IMG]

Afterwards we sold a decent amount of CDs/Vinyl/Cassettes and made some useful contacts for new gigs and hopefully some in Germany for net year.

Also it's a proud moment when your band makes it onto the official festival T-shirt design...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10151795_10152724546079082_389195171392075352_n_zps80a226df.jpg[/IMG]

Loud (as always) and heavy (as always). Had the age old problem of having to stand too close to the amp to hear myself, but other than that another blinder from the chaps in "Slander". Been asked back in November, but before that it's back to the shed before make a start on album No. 2 next month...
Lots of compliments from punters etc… were the icing on the cake.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1411863693' post='2563429']
Just in from a good night in Faringdon. Went down very well, and afterwards we were told there were members of 4 different bands in the audience checking us out. Glad we only found that out afterwards and not before.
[/quote]

"Just in from a good night in Faringdon" !! thats a contradiction in terms Dave

I think you always have others band guys checking you out..... or even if it is just because they should support live music
and the venue as much as the band itself....escpecially so if they play there themselves.
But... I agree, too many 'muso' type people are pretty blinkered themselves and you never see them at gigs..
but they bombard you with events.. :lol: :lol:
I find this muso bohemie thing quite funny.....and quite self centred, but then I'm not surprised either.. :lol: :lol:

Yup, quite agree, and do see players from other bands at some gigs, but to have 4 bands there was new. They chose the right place to see us, too, as we always play a blinder there. Both the guitarist and the singer were on top form.

Of course, many musos don't go to gigs as they are always playing on the popular nights! Must have been 4 local bands without gigs last night.

Edited by FinnDave

PM me next time, I have a guitaist friend in Wantage who needs to get out more he keeps theatening to start playing again.
I was amused at the thought of 4 bands all arguing who was to be sent to Faringdon to see you, and drawing lots. :lol:
:unsure: :( :angry: <_< -- oh alright I'll go B) = :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by deepbass5

Played Fagin's Ale & Chop House in Taff's Well Cardiff last night. Been going to this real ale boozer that also does a mean steak for many years on and off but first gig last night there. Old fashioned low beamed ceiling and flag stone floor and quite cosy (small!). Clientele generally 'older' so our set went down a treat, lots of dancing and foot tapping and attentive listening! Although it was like a sauna in there it was such a pleasure to play to that type of crowd. And as we were packing away, a load of party food turned up - bonus! We will definately be back!

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1411899816' post='2563590']
PM me next time, I have a guitaist friend in Wantage who needs to get out more he keeps theatening to start playing again.
I was amused at the thought of 4 bands all arguing who was to be sent to Faringdon to see you, and drawing lots. :lol:
:unsure: :( :angry: <_< -- oh alright I'll go B) = :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
[/quote]

Thought they looked miserable!

Next gig is next Saturday at another Swan, this time a mile or two east of Faringdon at Radcot Bridge, on the road to Bampton.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1411899816' post='2563590']
[/quote]

wouldnt be a chap called Reg would it ?