Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

A bit average compared with the weekend's gigs.

In Boston to play at the Axe & Cleaver. Just managed to avoid an accident on the A52 but the diversion meant we were quite late arriving. Cold pub with only about 20 people in the audience. Still gave them the full Terrortone experience. Mr Venom managed to cut his head open on some protruding fitment.

On th plus side we were back in Nottingham and unloaded before 1.00 in the morning. Lets hope that [url="https://www.facebook.com/kingbilly.northampton"]Northampton[/url] tonight is a bit more enthusiastic.

Edited by BigRedX

Played the Bord Gais Theatre in Dublin last night. Great gig the crowd there were brilliant. it's the second time I've played there and both times the audience were incredible. Beautiful modern theatre too! The only pisser was that I made a couple of mistakes.

Then went on the piss in Temple Bar. Rough as chuff this morning.

Wednesday night at The King Billy in Northampton. A much better gig than the night before all round. A venue that know how to look after the bands - food and drink were provided as well as an area to use as "backstage". Decent bands on the bill, and between us we managed to get in a respectable crowd for a mid-week gig. Made some new fans, many of whom were astounded by Mr Venom's performance.

Si600 was in attendance and he's [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249026-dick-venom-on-tour-in-november/page__view__findpost__p__2616553]written us a really good review[/url] - thanks!

Tonight we're at [url=https://www.facebook.com/thevenueselby]The Venue in Selby[/url].

Thursday at The Venue in Selby.

What a fantastic place! Brand new, decent capacity, big stage with a proper drum riser huge PA and excellent monitoring. It was a pity then that the place was nearly empty. A 4-band bill with most bands playing to the others and a handful of people who'd come especially to see us. The FoH sound was pretty uncontrollable in such a big empty space, although I would imagine that with a few hundred people in it would damp down quite nicely.

Arriving late meant that we didn't have time for a proper sound check which meant that for the first few songs our drummer had nothing in her foldback and after that she was being deafened! Still put on a proper show, and were rewarded by 4 late-comers down the front really getting into it. Sold almost as much merch as we did the night before when there was a considerably larger turnout! I think we impressed the venue enough to be in line for a return booking on a more popular night next year.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10417494_852566231444137_1570963864121198242_n_zpsa6e72fd1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10349892_852566481444112_9130385224169172972_n_zpsd5d440f3.jpg[/IMG]

Tonight we're in Wakefield at [url=https://www.facebook.com/snootyfoxlive/timeline]The Snooty Fox[/url].

the venue was rather splendid playing a social do for the horticultural researchers at east malling in the fantastic bradbourne house - but the buffet didnt start until half time but once they had been suitably fed a significant number of them ventured on to the dance floor - just a shame my head decided to develop a fault half way through so second half was done at slightly less volume with me playing direct through the PA - not the best of sound due to the extremley lofty ceiling

this along with our last gig at leeds castle have been the best two green rooms so far but much better food here at bradbourne than at the leeds :D

Ah the Snooty Fox in Wakefield. That place is the scene of my first ever gig in a proper big misters pub, January 1993. It was called The Post Haste back then and along with Players bar it was the best place in Wakefield for a young (underaged!) band to cut their teeth playing live. I haven't been for a few years, I think that the nostalgic part of me wants to preserve it in my mind how it was.

Hope you had a good gig BigRedX!

The Snooty Fox is a fantastic venue, with a great stage and PA. Everything sounded awesome.

It was a pity that the gig had been so poorly organised. This tour is the first time we've let someone else sort out our live promotion, and frankly it's been a bit disappointing. There was supposed to be a local support for last night's gig (and all the gigs on this tour) but once again we arrive at the venue to find that we're the only band on.

Still played well to our dedicated audience and some bemused locals. The gig was also streamed live on the web which I didn't know about before otherwise I'd have posted a link here. Still we had fun and got a good looking video of our performance.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/6273_853199961380764_466122241215945139_n_zpsa6cb253b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1374276_853199794714114_5675272748451608391_n_zps30c090e5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1960023_853199508047476_1816514653256620582_n_zpsabc6fcae.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1959799_853199668047460_4629725172662382367_n_zpsb179ff1f.jpg[/IMG]

Tonight is the last gig of the tour at [url=https://www.facebook.com/RockZombieDudley]Rock Zombie in Dudley[/url].

Final gig of the November mini-tour at Rock Zombie in Dudley. The venue is on the outside of what looks like a shopping mall. Inside it's like a youth club that just so happens to have a bar and a stage with a PA. The other bands are very metal so we're not sure how the Terrortones are going to go down. In the end we didn't need to worry, the audience love it and we almost sold all the remaining touring stock of SpiderQueen singles. Unfortunately after over 1000 miles in a week the TerrorWagon had enough and we had to get towed back to Nottingham.

Despite playing some rather empty venues, I think the tour was a success in that it's got us in front of lots of people who wouldn't normally have seen us, and given us loads more contacts for places to play. Next time we'll be doing all the booking ourselves, and make sure that we have local bands on the bill at every gig.

We'll be spending most of December writing new songs and preparing to go into the studio in the new year to record a full-length album. Next gig is on the 18th December in Liverpool and then NYE in Birmingham.

Big Band gig - first time I have used my MBass on a reading jazz gig, but I had recently put on a set of Status ground wounds and it sounded awesome so thought I’d go for it. I also took the twin Berg to frighten the brass players instead of the usual wizzy M-line. Well it had to be done - I’m just a bit pissed about playing a Maynard Ferguson version of Birdland where the Bass is left with bugger all to do. And it is now a trumpet feature. What’s that about? :angry:

Not last night but Sat. Not particularly eventful and I wasn't going to post about it but I wondered if other jobbing pub bands have experienced quiet gigs in Nov? We play this particular venue each month and Sat was the quietest we've seen for a long time. It wasn't just us, the manager says it has been quiet right through November. I'm guessing people (partic those with kids) are financially girding their loins for the onslaught of crimbo.

It was good in many ways.

Got paid, fed and a few drinks thrown in, played well and a first run out for our 2 new singers.

It was a corporate do, and they played their own version of that dire TV show 'Take Me Out' which was actually pretty funny.

It was a gas firm, so we spent our inbetween set times joking about Partridge and 'Dantes Fires' - at one point the catchphrase during the quiz was adapted to 'Let the Oxygen see the Acettaline' and I cringed and guffawed at the same time.

Anyhow, a few tunes fell flat on their arse, but we can chop and change those.

Had a run in with the venue owner as our guitarist DJ'd as part of the deal and the chap was very abrupt.

They have a sound limiter in place as the venue was in a residential area, but as requested we'd used their PA system and in no way was it being overloaded or overpowered (it automatically cuts off in this instance) and he was just rude.

I was assertive, but not aggressive and told him he was lacking in social skills - I know the proper thing would've been to acknowledge and rise above it. But he'd tried to make us look like arseholes when we'd been accommodating in using their (not as nice as our) PA.

Anyhow, got another booking from it for a wedding in the new year, and the same company want us to play at regional do's and other events in their calendar.

Now off to put together our 2 hour Easter set list.

The Rock n Roll Outlaws played their final pub gig tonight at the Courthouse Bar in Lifton, Devon. Ticketed, so reasonable pay, plus we were given a whip-round!
Very enjoyable, and a bit sad too.
Final gig at the Wharf in Tavistock in two weeks!

Edited by Telebass

Church hall gig for private function. High ceilings, hollow wooden stage and zero soft furnishings and needing to daisy chain 3 extension leads as the only power supply is 20 metres from the stage... Weddings aside, I'll take a pub gig over a private function any day.

Played for a charity's Christmas ball in a big theatre, all went swimmingly first half but as they'd overrun with awards and presentations they asked us to cut the second set down to 2 songs! Bit weird but we got paid the same so...

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1418555500' post='2631074']

shame i didnt realise until packing my gear down that my 115 cab had come unplugged and was only the 410 working all night

[/quote]

On the other hand if you, and presumably the audience, didn't notice you can save yourself some gear-lugging for the next gig!

Just supported Laeticia Sadier (Stereolab) in Oxford and still buzzing! It was a lovely gig, her music is like floating on a cloud. Really nice folks to boot.
They've got their last gig of the tour tomorrow night in Brighton, I'd really recommend it if you like your pop dreamy and French-flavoured!

Very cool place in West Bend Pillars Pub, it like this 1921 Church they turned into a club. Nice hard woods, lot's of pillars, stained glass small but cool stage with chandelier hanging over us.

Place was packed even the balcony, lots of good energy , the band was on it's best musical behavior. We really rocked that place.

Blue

Edited by blue

Another good night for the Think Lizzy guys - this time in Rock 'n' Roll Royston, Barnsley. It made a change to have a local gig for me - and for the rest of the band to have the hour plus drive.

I made a few mistakes, band completely messed up the start to one track - always entertaining! Ultimately the venue want us back and the punters went home happy. Result.

Edited by DaytonaRik

Originals gig at the O2 Academy in my hometown.

Will be the last one we do for that promoter due to them not actually doing any promoting, resulting in not enough people in a big venue to keep it warm, let alone look busy.

Still, had a bit of fun and took the Sandberg out on its first gig.