Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I'm just posting this for the novelty really, hardly ever do midweek gigs apart from xmas time. After a shambles of a gig by our standards last Sat it was nice to just get out again and do it properly. We were booked to do the 'works do' for our drummer's other half's workplace. They had booked a room upstairs at a local bar but that's too small to put a band in so we were downstairs in the public area, the food and a DJ were in the upstairs room and people had the option of floating about between the two. Considering it was this 'split' arrangement and there were no more than 70-80 people on the guest list anyway we actually fared quite well with a busy dancefloor for both sets, people dancing on the tables. Usual crimbo party atmos. We had a dep guitar player in so I was coaching him through some of the arrangements of some songs where we go a bit away from the original vs but he's a dep we've used before and is always reliable, pretty much a pro player. As the venue has a neighbour who complains if she hears drums after 11pm we were on a curfew and did 9:15-11ish with a short break, everyone seemed happy and I was home by 12:15 (close to where I live which was a bonus). Didn't take a spare bass and no music stands were used.

Edited by KevB

And another one ticked off the xmas list. Thankyou Farnsfield cricket club for hospitality. Shame the posters to advertise it didn't turn up until the actual day of the gig (down to the venue, not the band) so it was little underpopulated but those there seemed to have a good time. Interestingly the guitarist's dad called in (as our gtr player is originally a local) and said after set 1 that he thought it sounded 'a lot better than last time'. It gave me a wry smile as I was the only difference between those who played this gig 2 yrs ago and last night ;) Music stands absent again. Took a spare bass just for the laugh, never took it out of the case.

Edited by KevB

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the more mundane pub gigs now (OK, we have one last 'company xmas do' next Sat) and the venue was, as I expected, quieter than usual (we play it regularly) but not dead by a long way. Kept asking for more at the end so we did about 3 encores in all, stretching the 2nd set to 1hr 15min. Bit knackered at the end but it was our 7th gig since Dec6th and we all have day jobs. After next Sat we can all have a bit of a rest before going out again on Jan24th.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1416840551' post='2614113']
The first leg of the Terrortones mini November tour saw us in South Wales.

Great road trip complete with tunnel screaming to get to Neath on the Friday to play at The Duke. Very strange place (even by our standards). Looked completely closed from the outside. Inside appeared to be lit by 2 bulbs for most of the evening. Stage was one of the most rickety I've ever been on and that included one with holes in it that we were on this time last year… For a while it looked like we might be playing to just a handful of locals but it started to fill up just before we went on stage (and even more just after we came off - had we known we might have delayed playing for another 30 minutes or so). There was no support band so we were a little worried that people might leave before we played, but cheap drinks and what appeared to be a total lack of anything else to do in Neath meant that everyone stuck around for the whole evening (thank you). Played a great set and didn't mess up the new song.
[/quote]

Great description of the Duke :lol:

Can't believe you were on my doorstep and I didn't know. Would have come along if I'd known.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1420399491' post='2648938']
Great description of the Duke :lol:

Can't believe you were on my doorstep and I didn't know. Would have come along if I'd known.
[/quote]

The whole tour was listed in the Gigs forum. If you'd like to keep up to date with the Terrortones live schedule you could always sign up to our [url=http://www.dickvenom.com/newsletter.html]mailing list[/url]. We expect to be back in South Wales in 2015 as the two gigs we did there went really well and we have built up a load of contacts for a more comprehensive tour.

Think Lizzy kicked off 2015 with a gig on Sat in West Hallam (where???) at a venue that when our guitarist turned up with posters 3 weeks before was devoid of punters!!! We didn't have great hopes but by 9:00 the place was packed and as the evening wore on most were obviously Lizzy fans!

The place was bouncing from the word go, lots of crowd participation, sing alongs (esp Rosalie and Whisky in the Jar) - a cracking gig. The venue run out of clean glasses, sold out of two beers and the crowd wouldn't let us go until we'd played three encores and we're back there in May. The manageress said it was the busiest night they'd had including New Year's Eve!

I suspect our guitarist's new marketing ploy may have helped with the crowd?

Slander were out at the Park Inn in Darwen, Lancashire last night, and to be honest it could have gone either way. The venue has changed hands since we were booked, and the new Landlady didn't have any contact details from us - she wasn't even sure we would turn up, so there was no advertising etc...

Long story short, she's really passionate about live music (spent many years putting on gigs in London as a day job), absolutely loved us and wants us back - it helped that a few dozen close friends and reprobates dropped in for a drink too.

We played a blinder and everyone had a blast. Top result all round!

At Fox and Hounds in Stony Stratford friday night, just after Xmas, was expecting it to be quiet, and halfway through 1st set wasn't disappointed, then we hit a new (for us) Stones number and people started streaming in from the other bar and the place rocked until we finally got glared off by the management for overrunning! great night and another return booking...I LOVE that place!

Our recent Badgers gig was surprising good, considering that our drummer called off 10 days before.

We were one of 11 bands to play/showcase at the Stag and Hounds in Bristol on a Saturday night so we were expecting a decent crowd and weren't disappointed. We adapted a drum track that we already had recorded and used that on a mobile phone, operated my our keys player through a mixing desk. It wasn't quite the same as having a drummer but it worked, the crowd were great and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. A really interesting line up of bands too so it was a great night out and got good feedback afterwards.
Hard work but it paid off!

Not last night but Saturday. Was asked to do an hour for a corporate xmas party, via our drummer as his niece was responsible for putting the party on. It was also local for me and drummer so easy journey. Unfortunately they wanted us to play early (9pm-10pm) but then leave all the big gear in place until Sunday as they didn't want us trekking gear through the dance floor while the DJ was doing his thing. I couldn't see our band leader making a trip back next day so sure enough me and drummer had to break it all down between us yesterday afternoon and split the PA/singer's Guitar & combo between our 2 cars, only just fitted it in with all our own gear too. The main guitarist doesn't bring alot of gear so managed to sneak it out at end of night. All seemed to go smoothly from what I recall. That's the last of 7 consecutive Saturdays and a couple of midweek gigs over xmas, no more until Jan 31st now by my reckoning so I can have a bit of a rest.

Just back from our first time out this year. Odd stage that resulted in me & the drummer at the back with the rest in front of us, making it difficult to hear what was going on. I am on some strong antibiotics that left me feeling rather out of it and actually wasn't sure which song we were playing at times! Added to that was uncertainly about whether Jenny would be there or not as her mother died yesterday, but she was there and dedicated the set to her mum. Bit tearful at times but she sang her heart out.

Rebooked so must have sounded OK out front!

*Morning after additions, to tie in with several other current threads: I used my little Ashdown 180 112 combo and left the ABM500/Barefaced at home, more appropriate in a small venue. I took a spare bass but didn't need it. Our singer needed her security blanket so the music stand was back.We played two one hour sets.

Edited by FinnDave

Small pub gig last night, strange sort of split level layout of the place means it's hard to gauge how busy it is from the 'stage' area, but as the night went on more people crammed into the upper level where we were playing and it turned out well. Combination of Bongo, Shuttle and BT2 sounded huge, but still struggling to adjust and find a comfortable spot to rest my thumb, I end up resting it on the corner of the humbucker which leaves a lovely sore dent in my thumb! Was chatting to a bass playing friend about it after the gig and came to the conclusion I'm gonna have to get a thumb rest fixed to the scratchplate or possibly have a scratchplate made with a dummy pickup attached just in front of the humbucker slot. I'm so used to having a P pup in that central position on my streamer that it's a bit alien to me. Funny I don't feel the same problem with my stingray though!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1421057429' post='2656535']
I'm really missing posting on this thread...
:(
[/quote]

Me too.

However, I went to a gig on Saturday night to see the band I've just joined (my first gig with them is a month away - their old bass player was playing). Hmm. Music wasn't bad, but they lack a front man. And a bit of stage presence. The guitarist spent most of the time facing the drummer and the singer sang with his eyes closed. The most animated person was the bass player, so it looks like I'll be taking her role on in more ways than one!

Edited by Jacqueslemac

It was mixed. Stage was tiny (to the point the crash cymbal kept hitting off my tricep area causing extreme pain), sound was pretty crappy (through no fault of the sound guy, just the equipment was fairly shoddy, backline provided type gig) and about a minute before we went on our singer said to me "I think I'm gonna be sick". I had a stomach bug type thing on Wednesday and may have given it to him.

But there was a good turnout and saw people I hadn't saw in a while so I had fun.

First gig of the year for us last night.

Started off to very few punters but the place quickly filled up with a crowd that danced right though to the end. Then two encores.

A couple of minor wobbles bass wise, just brief brain blanks as to where I was in the song, quick recovery though.

We got caught out this time by the noise limiter, it was hitting the big powerful G chord for the chorus on Plug in Baby that did it :angry: Power came back on and we launched back in to the chorus, only with less of the gusto. :rolleyes:

I've done a few this year, inclusing 2 new venues.

De Bees in Winsford last Thursday. Not that many people there, but those that were there really enjoyed us (me in particular!) Great sound on stage and out front too. We got a few new facebook likes etc

Box in Crewe the night after, always a great sound there and we always go down really well too. Probably just under 100 in when we played so a reasonable crowd.

The Shed in Leicester last night. Good little venue, great sound on stage and out front. It's was the best that we've played in ages. However, it was a 90 minute drive from home.....we were told that we'd be the main support on an otherwise local lineup.....headliners were a very poor band from Birmingham somewhere (I hate saying stuff like that, but there was an all round really low standard of musicianship!) band before us were from Nottingham and the band before them were from Hull. So not a single band with a decent fanbase locally meant that we played to 27 people! They seemed to like us though!

The whole originals band scene is slowly grinding me down I fear.