Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1427616561' post='2732246']
New venue last night and first outing with the 50% new line up. The place was tiny but had a great atmosphere. Went down really well but here you pay a price for that as they usually want a lot more. Supposed to finish at 11.30 and close at 12.00 but didn't finish playing until 1.10. Probably down to the set list as much as the band. Still, nice to have the punters shouting for more even as you're loading the car up :D
[/quote]

How does that work in the UK? Over here when the owner/ LL asks us to play another hour we have a $100.00 fee for that extra hour.

Blue

Return gig to a venue we'd played before and another cracking night - an excellent reception.

The venue had changed the location of the band's 'stage' area...a little more cramped so I decided to run with the MiBass head and 2x10 setup - think I'm tempted to use this more often tbh as it punched nicely.

I also remembered to actually worry about what I was playing as much as being the front man/entertainer - I was a lot happier with my playing than a few recent gigs :)

Edited by DaytonaRik

Played at Newbury School Ball on Saturday..... it wasn't looking promising. They'd only sold 75 tickets; my amp had died on me on Wednesday and I had to use my home made 30W valve amp into my extension cab; it was the first gig with our new trumpet player; and our keyboard player had tripped over and fallen very heavily on Thursday. She'd badly bruised her face and could hardly move her left hand. The stars were not aligned!

From the second song the whole audience danced the night away and everybody had a great time - even though I sounded like an always on fuzz-box! We even finished with Hey Jude and had them all doing the na-na-na bits. However; with the clocks going forward it meant I got home at 3.45. We got a great email from the organiser saying how pleased they were.

[size=3][font=Helvetica][i][font=Arial]Thank you so much for your wonderful performances last night. We were absolutely delighted with the evening and I hope that you all enjoyed it too![/font][/i][/font]
[font=Helvetica][i][color=#222222][font=Arial]We have found some pictures on your facebook page and wondered if we could use some of them on our facebook page? We will of course, spread the word on how brilliant and professional you all were![/font][/color][/i][/font]
[font=Helvetica][i][color=#222222][font=Arial]I would also like to thank you for all your support and flexibility when making all the arrangements- you came recommeded as being totally reliable and so it proved to be[/font][/color][/i][/font][/size]

....and there're music stands!

Edited by ColinB

Not last night but the night before at Manchester academy was an excellent gig, we went back to just us and the music as the projector for the visuals broke down, which made it much more Good old Rock 'n' Roll ( as much as KB can be anyway ;))

But it was the crowd that made it, what a bunch! We shall definitely be coming back.

Similarly, Sheffield o2 the night before. many thanks to the gig goers of both cities

**obligatory gratuitous hairy bass player foto included**

[URL=http://s392.photobucket.com/user/sprocketflup/media/11080318_844121332301737_5508606652925783960_o_zpswdg5tscp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/sprocketflup/11080318_844121332301737_5508606652925783960_o_zpswdg5tscp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by sprocketflup

Last night was a lot of fun, my second show depping for a hard rock/heavy metal covers band; wasn't a great payer, but the pub was busy and the audience appreciative. I'm a big fan of metal, but their set is a little Download Festival for my taste, however the Sabbath, QOTSA and Foos tracks were really enjoyable.

The band were really happy with my playing, hinted they'd like me to take over permanently, however my main band should kick-off again in earnest come July and more importantly I'm filling in whilst their regular bassist recovers from bypass surgery following a heart attack, and I wouldn't feel very good about that :s

Got chatting to an older fellow whilst packing up who had recently started playing bass again after a forty year gap, he asked if I was a professional musician, which was very gratifying, particularly given the errors I know I made :lol:

It was great, packed in like sardines, sing alongs and such like.

Went much better than I could've hoped with the new guitarist.

Raised some dough for help for heroes and filled the pub with 200 people who would've been elsewhere - so the landlord and landlady love us - handy as we rehearse in their back room.

Just off to collect the gear now.

A much better gig than we had anticipated! The venue was a small working mans club come pub in an ex mining village in deepest Derbyshire and we had few expectations re the gig and were quite prepared to treat it as a paid rehearsal.

Come 9:00pm a good crowd had turned up and proceeded to enjoy pretty much every Lizzy track we threw at them! It just goes to show you really can never tell what kind of night you're going to have.

A few weekends off then back to it in mid-May

Played at the George in Belper last night, shaping up to be a good gig until the inevitable technical issues with the PA cost us half the audience! AAAARRRGGH!

Anywhoo as it turned out once we got back up and running again those who had stayed enjoyed it, others came in later and we went down well. Gave a run out to the KAM lights I purchased recently (and they did the job splendidly) sold some CD's and had a couple of people ask us to sign them :gas:

The night looked like this:

That's how I remember it, purple, green and mildly out of focus due to the serving of Leatherbritches breweries Dr Johnson.

Gig with [i]Hour of the Dog[/i] at the Rhythm Factory in London's increasingly trendy Whitechapel, E1 last night... had a few old friends turn up PLUS a couple of new friends, our own Billy Apple (Sean) and Number6 (Paul), so grateful thanks to them... thought I'm not sure if it wasn't mostly due to my 'free drink for basschatters' offer... ;)

I didn't think we played as well as we could (isn't that always the way?) but fun was had, which is the main thing, and we got an enthusiastic reception. We were third on the bill out of four bands, and I did feel for the headlining band who played to a mostly empty room as our audience either made for the bar or had to leave as they were relying on public transport... there's a a lot to be said for [i]not [/i]headlining at 10:30pm in the middle of the week in London if you're not a 'name' band who people have come to see...

My new Marcus Miller V7 proved that it can be used for what I loosely term 'rock' music, though it retains it's mid-growl even when given a lot of low-end heft through a Turbo rig... which I liked a lot, but I'm fairly sure a P bass would be more appropriate for our set. See how I prepare the ground! Thanks to everyone who came and especially to those basschatters who made the effort to come and see us! Hooray! :)

And many thanks to Number6 for his phone pic of yours truly road-testing the V7 and looking slightly bemused, as usual...

A recording of the gig was made from the desk, I'll sort out one of the tracks from it and post it later.

Edited by discreet

WE played a fairly new venue for us , a pub in Mold , not exactly heaving but very enthusiastic, our sound seemed to be really crisp , and everything had its place , lead guitar had some new toys and used them quite sparingly , so when he needed them they worked brilliantly . booked 2 more dates for later in the year , so another result

Off to do a lunchtime party/ pub gig later , I am not sure how this will go , loads of kids I am sure , but as long as they get rocking on the dance floor , we will party :D

So, I don't know if anyone read my thread about last night, but I thought it would be awful. Tons of co-operation between the bands, made some friends and had a cute girl ask to stroke my beard. So it was a win all round.
We played to a pretty full room and half the crowd vanished for the headliners. Not sure if that's a sign, but we had people calling out for one more song.

Sometimes it makes the BS of organization and not having social media worth it.

We are now supporting Risen Prophecy and Ruler who are on a European tour.

Edited by Fisheth

fair play dude , that sounds like a result :)

The lunchtime party was a great afternoon , we were asked to keep the volume well down so could hardly hear myself over the drums , but everyone enjoyed it, the kids were ace , and we gave out loads of cards , so a few parties might come off it , though we were offered 1 and had to decline as the date is already committed , so I suggested that rather than do a shared 50th party with his wife , do a shared 51st party next year and book early :D , I think we might get some joy from that source he still likes the idea of a party :)

we let the youngsters on 'stage' and play tambourines and dance along and at the end 2 four year olds dueted 'Let it go' from frozen when we were breaking down. we let them do it because we said we might try it , and er forgot ;) , they sang it all the way through with no backing and it was sooooo cute , it brought the house down with the best cheer of the day .

client was chuffed and handed more cards out for us B)

Great gig for the Badly Stuffed Bears at the Holly Bush, Marehay last night. Supported by "Boris and the Space Cadets" who did a set of punky, third-wave Ska - Timebomb etc and a Ska version of Phil Collins "another day in paradise" which was absolutely brilliant. We went on with our old school Ska and had a belting night finishing with One Step Beyond which again took the roof off.

Well received by all present including the landlord who paid us a bit more than we agreed and is booking us again for later in the year as soon as he can get back to me with his diary. All good.

We played a new venue last night. An 8-12 bar gig with two 15 minute breaks. I'd say it was a marginal gig. They book live music, however I don't think their clientele comes there for live music. [i]"Oh well"[/i]

The band had a few rough spots, however the sound on stage was good and we definitely hit some tight grooves. It's why I like this band.

I've been with these guys over 3 years now and we're just now getting to the point where we understand each others playing and things are starting to happen naturally.

Blue

Edited by blue

My gig on Saturday night was a complete ballache due to the venue's over zealous sound restrictions. [b]A word of warning to function bands, if you get a booking for Cain Manor in Headley, Surrey then be prepared for a difficult gig.[/b] We'd been advised that there was a noise limiter, but on arriving it transpired that NO AMPLIFICATION OF ANY SORT was allowed to be brought into the venue. Bands have to put the output from their mixing desks directly into the venue's 'sound system' which comprises of a couple of Behringer speakers... Luckily I'd packed my IEMs and a decent D.I. so was able to get a half decent sound, but the rest of the band were totally screwed over by the venue's volume restrictions. A thoroughly miserable gig!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1429471998' post='2751735']we understand each others playing and things are starting to happen naturally.[/quote]

That's a great place to be.

Had a great gig last night - Live in Stockport. Good PA in place and a sound guy and gal who did a great job. Sound on stage was ok but my bass was a it low so I compensated by thrashing the crapola out of it and now have two fantastic blisters! Decent crowd, up and rocking out which was good. Great energy levels all round.

Just had a mixed bag.

Guitarist 1 in the band turned 60 yesterday so guitarist 2 (his son) threw a massive surprise party for him in a slightly chilly barn in the middle of nowhere without toilets. Two weeks ago, our drummer fell ill and had to drop out. I managed to find a replacement for the evening. One rehearsal on Wednesday evening for the Saturday gig.

Set one (an hour later than scheduled) went ok, but I made a mistake early on which threw me off my game for the rest of the set.

Set two was unplanned...jamming, mostly. A guest guitarist came up and played a couple of songs that I had not heard or played before. We had some breaks for which I missed the nod/message.

My feelings? So-so, really. A lot of fun, but a lot of discomfort too. I feel that we were underprepared and I was not on normal form.

The audience? They loved it. I received an offer to participate in a recording session and everyone was full of praise. Score!

Just when we left, the heating was put on. Now...why wasn't that on earlier?

I played a 21st for my bosses daughter last night. In a marquee in their courtyard. Wealthy people sure party hard. Didn't end up starting til 11pm and finished up at 2-30am. Then I got lost in their house looking for the mythical massive tray of cheese, that's not a metaphor or anything. It was definitely there at one point. Quite a surreal evening actually! Very enjoyable though, they would've danced to anything.