Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Great gig for Infamy! at The Railway (bar) in Stoke :-)

It's clearly a football fans' pub so I didn't know what to expect when we were setting up at about 7ish. As the evening progressed towards the time when we were due on the place had filled with rock fans.

We have a brill evening despite being a little cramped for performance space. We played well and included a couple of new covers. An appreciative audience and the landlord actually asked us to turn it [u]up[/u]. We were already booked to play there again later this year but the landlord wanted to book us again for two dates before then.

Very pleased :-)

Edited by inthedoghouse

We had a really fun night at Ariba's, an 8-12 bar gig. We play there every couple of months in rotation. There was a huge birthday party there and we were sure that crowd would leave when we started our 1st set. The place remained packed they stayed for the lion's share of the evening.

Ariba's is one of the bars where the people come there to see live music. Very responsive and appreciative.

BTW, *93.00 in tips, which turns a $500.00 gig into a $600.00 gig. Not bad pay for a bar gig.

Blue

* I understand tips are looked down on by UK bands. Is it true and is this a cultural difference?

Edited by blue

I don't think bands look down on tips it's just unusual (though certainly not unheard of) here to get any extra over the pre agreed fee, we are still not a tipping culture in the UK. Probably more likely to get a bit extra at a private party or wedding than a standard bar/pub gig but it does happen occasionally. Glad you had a good gig, though even with tips your band has had to play for 4 hours for the equivalent of about £100 per player. Some guys here might be prepared to play that long but a lot wouldn't.

Edited by KevB

Pretty poor gig on Saturday night. Arrived at venue to hear nothing but northern soul playing on the juke box as we set up our classic/heavy rock show. That crowd left before we started. All the bikers were allegedly "away at a wedding" meaning we played to around 12 people and virtually no applause until the encores. Poor bar takings meant we took home half of an already reduced fee. Plus points- we played pretty well and onstage sound was good so we took the view that it was a paid practice.

Awesome gig on Saturday evening back in our 'local' venue. We think of it as the local simply because we have an open invitation to play whenver we want, they love the kind of thing we do, and the crowd are usually cool about us trying out new ideas on them to a degree.

Set up in the corner (very cramped) due to a huge table full of birthday celebrants being in the way of the usual band spot, which could have been a major issue if our percussionist was there (she wasn't - which was lucky).

We thought the birthday bunch would make a run for it, but they stayed to the very last moment, and one of their group was so into it she managed to get the entire pub dancing in the second set, which went down a storm!

A chap told me in the interval that we reminded him of Quincy Jones, Lalo Schiffrin, The Meters and New Orleans second line in general and a healthy dose of Isaac Hayes - not bad for a set of originals - happy with that!

At the end of the night the management invited us to play Brigthon Pride (by far their busiest night of the year, its absolutely rammed to the rafters with very happy punters out to have a rather good time, New Years Eve pales into insignificance), considering they've never had a band on for pride before I reckon this is a bit of a win!

A slightly odd gig on Saturday night, in that it was a punk night but we're not a punk band. Don't ask me, I didn't book it.

I had some concern that, being first on, we might scare away any crowd that showed up, but we were actually very well received, which was nice.

The main annoyance of the night for me was that, after the other bands had soundchecked, I got intercepted by the sound guy as I was lifting my rig onto the stage. "Is that for the bass?" he asked. "Yes, " I replied. "There's an amp already set up and plugged into the DI." At this point, I know what he's trying to say, he's trying to say "we're already running late and I would be ever so grateful if you would do me the favour of speeding things along by using that TE 7215 or whatever it is." It's a weedy-looking little ankle-biter, dwarfed by 4x12 half stacks either side of it, but I figure that we're the first band on at a punk night, we shouldn't even be here, and this is not the time to make a fuss.

So I put my rig back down in the backstage area and plug into the supplied backline. It's very quiet. The gain is on 2, so I try to turn it up, and the knob just spins freely. I get the sound guy on the case straight away, because I don't want to be held accountable for breaking someone else's amp. He's convinced there's something wrong with my pedals, or the bass in my battery is flat (it's passive). Eventually, by turning the gain knob past 10 he gains enough traction to actually have an effect. He seems surprised that the gain setting that worked for the other bassists during soundcheck doesn't work for me. "Your bass is really quiet" he says. "Maybe, but that's why we have gain knobs" I think to myself.

Later on, after we've played and the second band have taken the stage, he approaches me again. "Had to turn the gain back down for them. I think you should get your pickups checked out." I smile and thank him for his suggestion.

S.P.

We ( a scratch band of Guitar and Vox, me on Bass and another on Percussion) played a Dining Club on Saturday afternoon for an 80 year old's Birthday! Virtually everyone was over 70 apart from the daughter and her kids. The daughter mentioned she sang a little so joined us for a couple of numbers, one which was not on the setlist and I can't remember and then "Night and Day" .She had an American accent and explained she used to live in San Francisco and play in jazz clubs, just her and a Double Bassist . Enjoyed the gig and we got fed too: sometimes it's good to step outside your usual comfort zone and do something different.

I used ireal pro to read the charts: the guitarist sent me the setlist, When I opened it on my phone (which has the software) it downloads all the charts into a new folder and you can play along with it for practice or just have the mute chart. You can change key with the press of a button and edit it if you wish. You can also adjust the speed for playback too. A great little ap.

Set List was as follows (sorry some formatting still attached to titles)

] [size=4]All The Things You Are - Jerome Kern[/size][/color]
[size=4]. Can't we be Friends - Kay Swift[/color][/size]
[size=4] Cheek To Cheek - Edit - Irving Berlin[/color][/size]
[size=4]. How Insensitive - Antonio-Carlos Jobim[/color][/size]
[size=4][ I'll Be Seeing You - Sammy Fain[/color][/size]
[size=4] I'll See You In My Dreams - Jones-Kahn[/color][/size]
[size=4][ I'm Just A Lucky So-And-So - Edit - Duke Ellington[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Isn't this a lovely day. JB - Irving Berlin[/color][/size]
[size=4] It's Only a Paper Moon - Harold Arlen[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Let's Misbehave - Cole Porter[/color][/size]
[size=4][. Like Someone In Love - Jimmy Van-Heusen[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Mister Sandman - Pat Ballard[/color][/size]
[size=4][. Mood Indigo - Duke Ellington[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Night And Day - Cole Porter[/color][/size]
[size=4]. On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Jimmy McHugh[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Our Love is Here to Stay - George Gershwin[/color][/size]
[size=4][. Putting on the Ritz - Irving Berlin[/color][/size]
[size=4]. S' Wonderful 1 - George Gershwin[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Secret Love 1 - Sammy Fain[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Star Dust - Hoagy Carmichael[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Stars Fell On Alabama - Frank Perkins[/color][/size]
[size=4]. They Can't Take That Away From Me - Verse - George Gershwin[/color][/size]
[size=4][. Under A Blanket Of Blue - Jerry Livingston[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Way You Look Tonight, The - Jerome Kern[/color][/size]
[size=4]. Pennies From Heaven - Arthur Johnston[/size][/color]

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1430129075' post='2758140']
I don't think bands look down on tips it's just unusual (though certainly not unheard of) here to get any extra over the pre agreed fee, we are still not a tipping culture in the UK. Probably more likely to get a bit extra at a private party or wedding than a standard bar/pub gig but it does happen occasionally. Glad you had a good gig, though even with tips your band has had to play for 4 hours for the equivalent of about £100 per player. Some guys here might be prepared to play that long but a lot wouldn't.
[/quote]

Over here unless you achieve regional or national headliner status or maybe the occasional festival where you would play 80 minutes. At the bar band level it's a 7-11, 8-12 or a 9-1am proposition with no exceptions. It's just the way it is. When we play Mamie's it's 9:30-1:30am.

As you probably know, here in the USA we are a big tipping culture. Now, understand we don't pass around a hat and basically hold punters up for cash. It's a tip jar (unlabeled) stage left sitting on top of a sub or on the the stand for one of the mains (discreet).

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1430134099' post='2758201']
Pretty poor gig on Saturday night. Arrived at venue to hear nothing but northern soul playing on the juke box as we set up our classic/heavy rock show. That crowd left before we started. All the bikers were allegedly "away at a wedding" meaning we played to around 12 people and virtually no applause until the encores. Poor bar takings meant we took home half of an already reduced fee. Plus points- we played pretty well and onstage sound was good so we took the view that it was a paid practice.
[/quote]

Cool, the paid rehearsal.

It's not what any of us likes ,but it happens to all gigging bar bands. However, when it happens, we do not discount our fee.

We have that occasional bar gig where the place books bands , but their clientele is not really into live music. Either you pack the place with your own people or accept a lame evening. It's a part of the bar band business. I say don't let it get to you and have fun regardless.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1430146259' post='2758368']

So I put my rig back down in the backstage area and plug into the supplied backline. It's very quiet. The gain is on 2, so I try to turn it up, and the knob just spins freely. I get the sound guy on the case straight away, because I don't want to be held accountable for breaking someone else's amp. He's convinced there's something wrong with my pedals, or the bass in my battery is flat (it's passive). Eventually, by turning the gain knob past 10 he gains enough traction to actually have an effect. He seems surprised that the gain setting that worked for the other bassists during soundcheck doesn't work for me. "Your bass is really quiet" he says. "Maybe, but that's why we have gain knobs" I think to myself.

Later on, after we've played and the second band have taken the stage, he approaches me again. "Had to turn the gain back down for them. I think you should get your pickups checked out." I smile and thank him for his suggestion.

S.P.
[/quote]

I think he should get his pickups checked out. :D

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1430129075' post='2758140']
I don't think bands look down on tips it's just unusual (though certainly not unheard of) here to get any extra over the pre agreed fee, we are still not a tipping culture in the UK. [/quote]

When you guys order a pint you don't tip the bartender?

Blue

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1430166369' post='2758625']
Occasionally if they do something that is above and beyond , but generally no.
[/quote]

Wow! Very different culture.

Here's how we are with tips in the USA. I was in NYC and saw a cab driver stop the cab after his customer got out and through a coin at him and yelled [i][b]"Keep your effing quarter!"[/b][/i] :D

Blue

It's an odd mix in the UK, it is customary to add 10-15% on to the bill if you have a meal in a restaurant (assuming service is not included on the bill) but you wouldn't normally tip for buying a pint. Then again there is usually no table service in most pubs, you go to the bar and order and pick up your own drinks. It was fascinating going to House of Blues in New Orleans and seeing the waitresses squeezing between punters with big trays full of drinks even while the bands were on.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430167577' post='2758642']

Wow! Very different culture.

Here's how we are with tips in the USA. I was in NYC and saw a cab driver stop the cab after his customer got out and through a coin at him and yelled [i][b]"Keep your effing quarter!"[/b][/i] :D

Blue
[/quote]

I was in San Francisco at the end of the 80s, visiting his family with a mate of mine, and we were followed out of a restaurant by the Manager, as we hadn't left a tip - deliberately. The service was awful, from an uncaring rude waitress, who couldn't give a sh*t about he diners, but he still seemed to think this was unreasonable. My friends brother in law explained that he was happy to tip for even passable service, but he wasn't going to reward someone for being uncaring, unprofessional and basically sh*t at their job. It actually looked at one stage as if the Manager was going to throw a punch, but he settled for shouting after us in the car park : "Cheapsket Limey mothef**kers" - nice.

Edited by The Admiral

Played the Limelight in Belfast on Saturday evening. Only our third gig with our new drummer so I was well pleased with the review we got, which can be read here if you are interested. We are RedEye by the way. http://belfastmetalheadsreunited.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/live-review-storming-set-of-hard-rockin.html

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1430200004' post='2758754']

I was in San Francisco at the end of the 80s, visiting his family with a mate of mine, and we were followed out of a restaurant by the Manager, as we hadn't left a tip - deliberately. The service was awful, from an uncaring rude waitress, who couldn't give a sh*t about he diners, but he still seemed to think this was unreasonable. My friends brother in law explained that he was happy to tip for even passable service, but he wasn't going to reward someone for being uncaring, unprofessional and basically sh*t at their job. It actually looked at one stage as if the Manager was going to throw a punch, but he settled for shouting after us in the car park : "Cheapsket Limey mothef**kers" - nice.
[/quote]

When service is awful a lot of people will leave 2 pennies on The table.

Blue

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1430146259' post='2758368']

S.P.
[/quote]

It really is all in the fingers, I once had a chap do one song on my acoustic guitar at a gig i was doing, it was deafeningly loud when I was playing it (I am enthusiastic with my plectrum) and you could barely hear it when he played it, unless I cranked the gain on the PA almost up to full (I had it at about 9 o'clock for me).
You have a light touch SP, unlike most punk bassists, I'd wager.
:)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430165142' post='2758610']
Cool, the paid rehearsal.

It's not what any of us likes ,but it happens to all gigging bar bands. However, when it happens, we do not discount our fee.

We have that occasional bar gig where the place books bands , but their clientele is not really into live music. Either you pack the place with your own people or accept a lame evening. It's a part of the bar band business. I say don't let it get to you and have fun regardless.

Blue
[/quote]

Cheers Blue.

We were all pretty sanguine about it as this band is for fun not profits. I personally wouldn't be booking us at the rate we were initially booked in at but hey ho- live and learn. I've got three gigs in the next four weeks (two at our two favourite venues) so that will make up for a bad one hopefully. Roll on Saturday night so I can get my next live fix.

First gig with the band last tuesday. We put the set together that morning, and the guy on the right just jumped on stage to play a spare guitar, left handed, and ripped a solo. Such a fun night!

https://youtu.be/8XCARY7xMrQ

Played a 'Battle of the Bands' at a Rock bar in East Lancashire. The sound was terrible (no top end through the PA), so none of the singers could hear themselves properly, so that was a bit of a struggle, and the stage was tiny.

On the plus side I played my head through a Barefaced cab (and loved it), and we got through to the next round.