Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Did our stint as house band at local open mic.Just the band this time, no Jenny. I was the only bass player there so was on all night, played with some interesting people and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Received several compliments on my playing, free chilli for the performers and the promise of another paid gig there soon. Not bad for a tuesday!

Tonight's gig was...weird and enjoyable.

My band (funk/proggy rock) get hired for a weird amount of metal gigs and tonight was one if those gigs. Never sold many tickets etc but had a great time overall with many compliments from people in the audience (majority of which probably never listen to anything other than metal).

I had a lot of compliments but like most of us here I came across a bit of a twat when replying to them!

Played in West Wycombe but the pull of Chinnor Bike Dayz nearby proved too much of an attraction for the largely biker clientele. Even the landlord went there instead of staying in his pub! Got off to a strange start when Jenny got lost on the way (mistyped postcode into satnav, took her two hours to do what should have been a one hour journey) so we had to start without her. She arrived and jumped straight up to join in on second song. Place slowly filled up, and we had a satisfactory evening, though it would have been better with more of an audience.

The venue last night is getting reestablished after being closed for a major refurb and change of ownership (and was a bit of a dump under previous owners apparently) and there was a big draw of BBQ/mini beer fest at their nearest competition pub.Also England playing their playoff game on TV (womens world cup) hence never likely to be packed. However some band members invited a few along and that swelled the locals a bit so we had a small but appreciative audience. This was only 3rd gig but it's getting much tighter already, we all agreed after that it was our best performance to date and at this stage that's all you can ask for, steady improvement. Plenty of folks who didn't know us coming up after gig and saying how much they'd enjoyed it, even got one bloke specifically complementing me on my backing vox which was a first for me. Other encouraging thing was that we seem to be getting the song choices off to a good start (there's stuff in there we'd like to replace though and will as we rehearse new material). One bloke said 'Cheers you've pretty much just played my CD collection back to me - brilliant night'. Always stuff to work on but encouraging we are heading in right direction. Owners very keen to have us back, unfortunately the first couple of dates they came up with in Sep we are already booked but we'll sort something.

Bit of a write-off last night - worst sounding room I think I've ever played. It was at Warlingham Rugby Club and we were in a sports hall type room - big, high ceilinged with a sprung floor, and as it was a lovely night, everyone was outside - so it was reverb city.

Only redeeming feature really was that it was an early start, so we finished at half 9.

However, what punters that were still there at the end were happy and we got fed and watered, so there's worse ways to earn a crust.

Played a mini festival(FOSSTIVAL)in Selbourne,Hants.
House rig was a Little Mark head through a Barefaced 12 cab!
Good sound,free beer for performers,people danced to our original material,and we scored another gig from it!
Happy night as well as my son watched me play(he's 7).

Benefit gig for Nepal last night at the Plough & Harrow in Leytonstone.....sound man was excellent, the crowd wasn't as big as we would have liked (are they ever?) but a good energy filled atmosphere and the P-Bass got its baptism of fire.

Good night and apparently enjoyed by all.

:)

Edited by Number6

One of regular usual gigs (once a month) in Quinns,Newcastle,Co Down usually ends in the following:We play the last note of our final number at around 11.30 pm and the DJ immediately lets loose with an onslaught of verry loud dance music.The crowd are already on the floor so no problem there.However we have then to load out through said crowd.A complete PITA I assure you.BUT last night the DJ was nowhere to be seen come our last number.We finished and one of the bar staff approached us and offered us an extra £100 if we'd play till 1.00am.having played since 9.00pm we said sure but we'd need a short 'nature' break.During this break the same staff member decided to have a go with the house sounds and manged to get some sounds going.The manager said 'OK guys,I don't need you now but heres an extra £50 for offering to stay on'.So we ended up with £100 per man.Result!

A new venue for us - The Crown Inn, Derbyshire. We turned up to a see small stage area but even after sound checking the room was still worrying emptry at 8:30. We need not have worried - come 9:00 it was pretty full and ready to be entertained with a steady flow of new arrivals suring the first set.

It turns out that we got the timings wrong - started the first set earlier than usual for the venue (we should have checked!) so finished earlier than anticipated. For fear of losing the crowd we kicked off the 2nd set at 10:25 not the venue's usual (10:45) and recycled some of the first set (a lot of folks turned up towards the end of the set expecting us to be just about starting!)

Upshot was a great gig (if a long night), loads of positive comments (even got favourably compared to Limehouse Lizzy - result!) and three return bookings for 2016 - job done!

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1194983952' post='88049']
Had an impromptu gig with the two guitarists from my blues band last night in the White Hart at Witley near Guildford. Just three voices, a Fylde Mandolin, a Lowden acoustic and my Martin acoustic bass. No drums, no amps, no keys, no mikes.

We played for about two hours and just reeled out loads of stuff (we know a lot of material - we've been playing together on and off for over 20 years!). Was a great time.

And in tribute to Rich's post above, here's a bassist's eye of what's in front of me at most gigs with my other band...

Cheers all

Gareth

[/quote]

Does the Martin acoustic really come across in that situation then? I did look at one, the BCPA4...for about a nano-second...but the review I read said that whilst the Martin was louder 'unplugged' than any other acoustic bass around you would really need to plug it in for a gig situation. I play in an acoustic folk-rock/americana band and use an Ibanez AEB(10E?) directly through the PA. It sounds wonderful although I should point out that I own a pretty decent PA with EV SX300 speakers. The Ibanez also has the distinct advantage of being almost £1000 cheaper than the Martin.

By the way. Ronnie Lane is an absolute hero of mine both as a bass-player and a song-writer. I would dearly love a Les Paul bass but having just spent over £2.5K on a new amp and cab I can't see my other half letting me get away with it.

Got the opening slot at local mini festival this afternoon

http://cranfestuk.weebly.com/line-up.html

Stage was a couple of flatbed trailers planked over, but the backline was all Marshall (just up the road) and the sound guys were def on the ball, making us sound great apparently. Had a whale of a time, and being 1st on even had the chance to soundcheck!

[URL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/Mkul0/media/DSC_0225_zpsx2wdzwmk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h391/Mkul0/DSC_0225_zpsx2wdzwmk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Just in from a gig, played a local football club.

Venue was packed. We started a little later than planned due to people getting lost on their way.

First set went excellent, deep backing singer doing a fab job. Then interval, power cut!!!!

Managed to get the power back on eventually, but went we went on late for second set.

Crowd were amazing, very appreciative.

Our guitarists nephew is a bassist and he came to watch, we ended up spending loads of time talking gear!! he'd heard about barefaced cabs but has never seen or heard one in the flesh. Now he wants one :lol:

First time at a new pub, poor acoustics but enthusiastic audience. A couple of the dancers grabbed our pair of maracas off the table and only one was found at the end of the gig. Lots of praise for the band and the billed 'famous singer' Jenny Haan, hopefully leading to some regular work there. Played my newly acquired CiJ Fender Precision 63 replica, sounds and feels great.

A garden party for the birthday of a friend of a friend, some 100 guests, family atmosphere. We were a surprise birthday present; he was chuffed to bits to have real 'rock group' at his party..! Rustic farm buildings in a remote part of Lower Normandy, with stunning views, even for here. Here's the 'woodshed' stage that had been set up for us ...

There was a rather strange hollowed out 'totem pole'-type of carved figure on the lawn; once night had fallen, it was set alight from the inside; goodness knows why. An odd ritual..? Warding off spirits..? Dunno. Here it is, though...

Spooky..!

Dep gig for a rock covers band at a charity event. No rehearsal so did plenty of homework for their set and had my charts ready. Shame the band themselves hadn't done the same as they made c##k up after c##k up despite having played the same set for the last 8 yrs. I donated my fee to the charity and made my excuses politely at the end left.

Ah mate, been there, done that.

Slander were on at the Caveman Bash in Lancashire last night; really helpful, friendly, and above all professional stage crew, and we had a blast. I thought we weren't quite as quick out of the blocks as we usually are, but it was a good do. Set was a mix of covers and originals and went down well.

Tonight we played cokerfest, a festival in a rather large back garden!

Sound was a bit muffled and there was a lot of bass feedback, not sure quite what that was about or why it was so hard to control, but the bass was muddy as anything, so I had difficult hearing much, which is a first, I normally have difficulty with vocals but never the bass. Anyway, went well, crowd seemed to like it, and we got food afterwards!