Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

First gig of the year last night, a wedding for a lovely young couple; they were big Foo Fighters fans, so we played a bunch of their songs which went down really well. Was a bit of a back to front set, as the bride, groom and a fair bit the audience were rock fans, we played the dance/party stuff in the first set and put the rockier songs in the second. It was odd playing the dance tracks to not very many people, but that does seem to be the curse of the first set.

Other than me buggering up the start of You Give Love A Bad name and the guitarist buggering up the start of Under The Bridge it went really well, apart from one thing. Echoing 12String's post on the last page, there was a lad who seemed really friendly, was really into the music, but had just had far too much to drink.

He came over just after we'd finished setting up and he must've told the drummer that he could play, as he let him have a go on the kit and was awful. Just awful - I videoed a bit of it for prosperity and as a reminder to never let punters use our gear.

During the first set, he kept coming over to try and shake the singer's hand etc, which I'm sure in his drink addled mind was just him being friendly and wanting to tell us how much he was enjoying it, but it does make it hard to play. The singer was always polite, but I could see his patience wearing thin. This came to a head when he came over into our area and was stumbling very close to three pint glasses on the floor, when the singer tried to politely, but firmly, get him back onto the dancefloor he snapped and started throwing a load of abuse and stormed out. He was back and smiling by the end of the first set, so all okay there we thought.

During the break he was swinging a little girl round on the dancefloor and knocked over the singer's music stand, which had his mic on it, fortunately I caught it before it hit the floor, the bloke -oblivious. He then came back to speak to us again, and once again we tried to get him out of the stage area, the singer couldn't have been more polite to him, but again he snapped "don't bullshit me, you just want me to f*** off don't you?". The singer again tried to make it clear he didn't, he was happy to talk to him, just could they do it on the other side of the stage. More abuse with him storming out, this time accidently kicking a pint of water over the singer's pedals - THE WHOLE REASON WHY WE WANTED HIM OFF THE STAGE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Singer, concerned with it causing a sour atmosphere at the client's wedding goes off to try and make peace with the drunken buffoon, but he's having none of it, spits the dummy and goes home, I felt a bit sorry for his girlfriend, who he dragged off with him, who clearly didn't want to leave.

Second set went much better without him there and the bride and groom were really aplogetic about him. As it turns out the pillock worked for the groom, so I think it's lucky the groom will be on honeymoon Monday morning rather than at work, as if I'd got drunk, made a fool of myself and created an awkward atmosphere at my boss's wedding I'd probably be onto jobsite first thing the next day.

It was a lovely lookiny room we played in, apologies for he slightly odd angle - I wasn't drinking, but you'd be forgiven for thinking so from the photo :lol:

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/20160130_190306_zpsancav5dz.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

I used the men's restroom between sets - and this happened!
I could hear the guys on stage - waiting for me!!!

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/Screenshot_2016-02-06-01-27-11-1_1.png.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/Screenshot_2016-02-06-01-27-11-1_1.png[/IMG][/URL]

Thursday night went OK. Our usual ocasional gig, not many people but they seemed to enjoy it and we got a few suggestions. I've played worse, and better. The real test will be in a couple of weeks where we are going out as a two-piece (not a three, the better guitar is on holiday) to an unfamiliar audience...

Edited by alyctes

Saturday was our annual fundraiser for The Alzheimer's Society - a cause very close to our band. This is the 4th consecutive year we've held it, and the 4th consecutive sell-out of the 500-capacity Belfast Empire. An absolutely brilliant crowd made this one the best and most memorable gig yet, and while the final sums aren't yet tallied, it looks like we're on course to raise around another £6000 for the charity. This also takes us over the £20000 mark for the running total. Here's to next year!

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1455052619' post='2975539']
Saturday was our annual fundraiser for The Alzheimer's Society - a cause very close to our band. This is the 4th consecutive year we've held it, and the 4th consecutive sell-out of the 500-capacity Belfast Empire. An absolutely brilliant crowd made this one the best and most memorable gig yet, and while the final sums aren't yet tallied, it looks like we're on course to raise around another £6000 for the charity. This also takes us over the £20000 mark for the running total. Here's to next year!
[/quote]

Brilliant job Sharkboy :)

[s]Audience[/s] Press pics from last Saturday night at Caixa Económica Operária in Lisbon, Portugal.

[url="http://www.nunoconceicao.com/blog/2016/2/10/sad-lovers-giants-lisboa-20160206"]http://www.nunoconce...lisboa-20160206[/url]
[url="http://tracker-magazine.com/sad-lovers-giants-caixa-economica-operaria/"]http://tracker-magaz...omica-operaria/[/url]

One of our better performances if a little poorly attended.

That's me that is.......

Edited by Twigman

Saturday was good, apart from my car breaking when I went to load up. Luckily those TC RS112s fit in my wifes 206cc!
Was a new pub that I haven't done before, and it was busy. The landlord told us to turn it up a few times.
During half time there were some security guards sitting on some guy until the police turned up and carted them off. It was a bit surreal as they were sitting on this guy with everyone else just milling round and chatting and drinking.
Still, all went ok.

We played at The King Billy in Northampton for the first time last night, 2 x 45 minute sets. It all went well, good sound and we all played well considering it was our first gig since November. The natives were friendly and appreciative, especially a gang of American lads who were into what we were doing.
The staff said we were the best Thursday night band they'd had in a while so hopefully we'll get asked back.
Got home at 2.30, up for work this morning at 6.30. Suffice to say I'm struggling today...

I had two gigs on Saturday. The first was in the afternoon with my folk/punk band Headsticks. I play drums and it's pretty energetic. There were a good 300 people in a large room, lots dancing and singing along, so it was great! As usual I struggled to hear the guitarist and yet we had feedback from the guitar on stage. I think my monitor must have died after a couple of songs or something...

The later gig was a local one in the evening on bass with a very talented songwriter. It's a small room, I think the capacity is 100 but they tried to squeeze more in. The soundman was more of an artist than an engineer. I genuinely believe the sound was perfect out front, but on stage I couldn't hear what I was doing or the lead guitarist. All I had was cajon (acoustic) and absolutely loads of vocals in the monitors. Very weird. Anyway, I think it went all right!

Not too bad, given there were only two of us performing - main guitar is on holiday. Small audience in a smaller venue - mostly ladies of a certain age. I didn't distinguish myself - though having someone else reducing my level in the mix didn't help me (it may have helped the audience, I suppose).

Edited by alyctes

Great gig in a tiny pub in Castle Hedingham, The Bell, on Friday with my band Illegal Tender. A small but very appreciative crowd. Turkish specials on the menu - I got there early and had a delicious lamb mince dish. We've been booked to go back in June.

A great gig in the Olde Kings Head in Chester. Our Rhythm guitar broke his wrist in January so we were light handed , lead guitar played a blinder covering and I found a few patches to stomp on for his solos to fill out a bit more. By all counts it was a really good night , Rhythm guitar fronts the band so he still did, but had had a few beers unlike when he plays and his banter was fantastic, 2 more dates back there and 2 parties booked on the night, I didnt overly cock too much up, so a result all round.

Best one yet, the Duke of Wellington, Shoreham by Sea - pub owned by Dark Star Brewery, so full of people who love great beer and music. Really enthusiastic crowd, and the band played brilliantly. Really pleased, as with all bands, we've had a few bumps along the way, but are now really getting it together.

The venue last night was a small basement venue out in the suburbs with poor public transport links, and so there's basically zero passing trade. The audience will be anyone you've brought along, the other bands, and anyone that they've brought along. Sometimes, by the end of the night, it's not even that.

With that said, last night had a better turnout than the average. It was our keyboard player's last gig before he goes back to Australia, so we bid him a fond farewell. I'm slowly getting better at managing the acoustics of that stage - the low end is incredibly boomy, so the solution is to set my amp up for a ridiculously middy, barky tone, and send a pre-EQ signal to the desk. We had a couple of technical issues early on, but once that was out of the way, we settled in to an enjoyable and well-received set.

S.P.

Played The Fiddlers Elbow (somewhere in North London) with my pop/rock band last night – was one of those random 4 bands nights so wasn’t expecting much but it was actually a really great night.

It’s a nice little venue; looks like it used to be a standard London corner pub but has since been converted into a music venue – nice size stage, decent PA, three actually working monitors.

The other bands were all of a similar genre whilst all being different enough to keep things interesting & all played great sets to a high standard. This was our first gig in the current line-up & I think we performed well, I made a couple of slips but nothing terrible and as the audience won’t have known our songs I doubt they will have noticed anyway.

All in all a good time was had. Well, until my train broke down at Paddington & made me nearly an hour late getting home but I won’t let typical GWR behaviour ruin the night.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1456080514' post='2985214']
Did a cracking gig last night with musical youth at the watering hole in perranporth. Good crowd of really good people. Hope we get booked there again.
[/quote]

One of my favourite venues!
Had an 'all the bank holidays' residency there for a few years recently and it was always a real lively gig. Even sort of enjoyed getting the van towed out of the sand dunes by their tractor at 2 in the morning (or leaving it overnight and popping back for breakfast and a load up on Sunday morning)

Edited by Mudpup