Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Supported leathera't at the O2 in oxford last night, after a summer of festivals it was lovely to have a proper soundcheck and a big stage to bounce around in :)
Good tight set right up untill our last song where it all went a bit bit pete tong, some how recovered it and got everyone playing the same notes and chords again... Only the other musos in the crowd noticed, I think everyone else thought we'd gone f an impromptu folk/jazz vibe.
Excellent night with much beer and smiles
No gigs till march now it's time to write some new stuff :)

Really good gig on Friday night at one of our local pubs in Leicester, which was dead busy with it being the last day before Xmas break for some lucky people.

Had a chance to put some recently acquired gear thru its paces too - a Yamaha bass I bought on basschat a few weeks back, and a stupidly lightweight purple chilli cab I also bought here in the autumn.

Sang myself hoarse, played loud and got into a sweaty mess, so all present and correct there, plus blew the dust off some old tunes we haven't done in a while.

Happy with that.

I feel there should be a law brought in that specifically makes it a criminal offence for a bunch of drunk guys to dance together.Nothing good ever comes of it.Last night at our Xmas party gig at a local hotel 4 guys proceeded to have a joust,on each others shoulders and JUST missed our lights by a ball hair.Of course,bar staff turned a blind eye,but only when we stopped mid-tune,and told the idiots to either get on the floor or just f**k off altogether,did they intervene.
I swear,there is going to be a serious accident one of these days.And its not the first time either.It seems when guys get tanked up,they'll try anything.Idiots.

[quote name='peety' timestamp='1481882884' post='3195887']
Hulton Arms there's another big Pub across the way on the same crossroads at 4 lane ends there not sure what its called but that looked shut or was being refurbished.

Have no idea why this place has bands on two of the lads in our band used to play in a duo and have played there three times and it was the same then
[/quote]

Ah, you've strayed into Over Hulton! The pub across the way is The Red Lion. Mainly an eating place. Interesting time of year for them to be doing a refurb!

I've played The Hulton Arms and had a decent crowd at times. I think it has changed hands recently. That doesn't help, nor does the run up top Christmas, when some are trying to save their cash. :)

Edited by 12stringbassist

Under-attended, too late for a Sunday, nowhere to park nearby and I played like I had sausages for fingers. However, the main motivation was to show willing for a promoter (I'm Not From London) who we want to work with in the future. They liked us, despite the substandard performance and want to get us work in the new year, so, in terms of big picture, it wasn't a waste. The major lessons were 'don't totally change the arrangement of one of your songs immediately before a gig' and 'if you want the bass player to play big loud chords on an intro, practice this addition more than once'! One more gig to go this year. Fingers crossed.

Friday night at the Slade Rooms in Wolverhampton. I really like this venue but there weren't many in. The headliner's drummer was sharing his kit, turned up an hour late, spent half an hour setting up, then they spent half an hour sound checking. No time for us to check so that put a downer on the night from the start. Still, we played well

Last night was STP Records/Dirty Box Disco's xmas do. Plenty of people in and it was an all round good gig but I have to mention the venue - Warehouse 23 in Wakefield. This place is awesome! I wish more venues were like this. Great lighting and sound, clean, stylish, good bar, just an ace venue.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great gig with The Wirebirds last night in my local pub. Played for three hours (one hour set plus two hour set) and the place was placed, mostly with people I know. Everyone in the pub was dancing, even the people working behind the bar. Great fun (but very hot) and we got well paid, plus a bonus 'for being awesome'!

Great night, but I ache all over this morning. Nice friendly pub listening to the fairly lad back sound of my originals band and not at all bothered that there was only one cover in the set (and a weird one at that Mary Poppins).That and it was all sounding good from where I was

We had a real blast last night too. Three 50 minute sets from 9 until 12, Auld Lang Syne to finish off with everyone singing along. A bit quiet to start with but absolutely rammed by 10.00 and stayed like that until the end. Music has to stop at 12 sharp, but the bar is open later so I was able to have a pint at the end (I don't drink while we're playing). The pub took a chance on us as a blues- ish band last year (the year before?) booked us again for this (last?) year, and it went really well. Lot's of people who came last time came again this time. Had the usual chat whilst getting paid, and a very friendly conversation about whether they wanted a change for next NYE and if they did we would understand etc. and was told "No, I'm really happy, everyone's had a great time for the last two years why change it. Consider it booked." which was a very good way to begin 2017. I am a bit knackered today though. We shoved quite a lot of fast paced stuff in the third set so it was a bit relentless at the end: The guitarist looked at his fingers over a pint at the bar later and said "Oh look I can see some new calluses already".

The usual mix of pros and cons. On the upside, we played well - if a little fast - and my new compressor earned it's money - although I need to up the threshold a bit. On the downside we were opening for a mostly DJ based night and all their gear was already in place, meaning that my cabs were shoved under a table, causing loads of bass boom. Ditto for the guitarist, whose sound went to mush (I think he needs an amp stand anyway). I also started the night with total brain-freeze. I don't play on the first 16 bars of the first song and I spent the entire time panicking that I couldn't remember the first note of my opening fill! I 'knew' it was an A, but kept thinking it was D, due to something I was jamming in the soundcheck. Doh. I got it right though. The major downside was that the landlord decided to be greedy and shove an unrealistic price on the door which definitely cut into the audience numbers and soured the atmosphere somewhat.

One of those pleasing but disappointing gigs. We really had our backs to the wall with sickies from our sound guy and guitarist at the last minute. So we were mixing ourselves and had a dep guitarist we met on the night. In my book we were well below par and had a limited set based on what the guitarist could play. However, we pulled it off and didn't let the venue down (which is always vital to us no matter what problems we have). The disappointing bit was that the crowd still loved it and had a great time - which doesn't say much for how highly we value the hours of practice and being tight with our normal set up! Really, though, it's always nice to pull off a gig when having lots of problems behind the scene so all was good.

Had a great gig at a local golf club last night, 5-10 min walk home and able to store all the gear there overnight so we had the chance to have a few beers after. Was a bit wary as we had to use a dep drummer at fairly short notice, he was a friend of our guitarist and hadn't done any live gigs for about a year, but to his credit he pulled it off and everyone had a great time. My second gig with my current gear setup and I'm absolutely chuffed with how well it's working. Yamaha Attitude Ltd 2, EBS Sheehan drive pedal, GK MB Fusion, Barefaced Big Twin 2. It just kills! I keep the drive fairly low but it adds a fantastic growl to the tone. Happy new year!

Good night at a social club for NYE - plenty of happy, dancing folk; it paid well and we had our A-Team lineup so was a lot of fun.

The singer was recording the gig, so looking forward to hearing some of it, even though my bass was off a pre-EQ DI and my strings are deader than a Norwegian Blue.

Unfortunately the night ended on a bit of a downer as when packing up we found someone had made off with the guitarist's coat. Fortunately it didn't have his wallet/phone/keys in it, but still a real shame someone did that.

Decent gig at the Queens Hall in Nuneaten. We would have probably been better off gigging downstairs in The Crew as originally intended but the agent thought he knew best and put us on upstairs instead. Nice to have the luxury of the bigger stage and although up stairs with all the people hanging around after it was an easier load out than it would have been trying to get through the milling numbers downstairs. Those that came up to see us seemed to enjoy it, agent sounded happy and we got paid. Thought we put in a decent performance too, last one until back end of Jan so I have a bit of a rest coming up.

Incredible,packed house way beyond the expectation of the owner. We play the same club every NYE.

We actually came off like a pro band the 1st and 2nd set.

Great night,great room, great sound and an engaged crowd. Nice hours 2:00-6:00.

Blue

Edited by blue

• 3 weeks later...

Gigged my fretless for the first time last night! Just one om number to a small audience, but I'm proud of it. We did "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", with slightly dull acoustic rhythm guitar, good vocals, superb harmonica, and me laying down an extreme slide bassline to re-interpret the shimmering sound of the original. Went down well with a discriminating audience who expect a high standard. Happy cat :)

• 2 weeks later...

I played my first ever full-on blues gig last night, standing in with a well-established local band. I took a prompt sheet with notes on the style of each song, plus the first couple of bars of some of them in music notation. I really enjoyed the freedom to improvise around the basic form of each song, and hearing the excellent solos from the guitarist and keyboard player - who brought a real Leslie speaker with him!

I got compliments on my sound and playing from the band, and on my playing and the band overall from a couple of punters. Well chuffed, and a couple more dep gigs in the diary for August too :)

Great gig last night at the Iron Horse Ranch despite problems with our PA, lost all the fold back through the monitors.
Full house with a really appreciative audience.
Our first gig since October last year and I now have a big blister on my index finger (very sore), will soon toughen up again after a few more gigs.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1482027018' post='3197093']
Just back after a foggy drive back from a Wirebirds gig near Banbury. We set up in an almost empty pub, were served good food free of charge and as soon as we started, an audience suddenly materialised. Two one hour sets, which went down well, plenty of dancing, sold a couple of CDs and had a enquiry about more bookings from a local in the audience. All in all, a good evening.
[/quote]

Where were you playing Dave?