Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Cheers, Blue, the only damage that bass seems to have sustained are a few small dents in the fingerboard between 2nd and 3rd frets where the strings were pressed against it when it fell. I changed the G string which had a deep cut in it from the edge of a cymbal and played the entire gig on it the next night, mainly to show the band the bass was OK!

And yes, taking spare bass and spare amp head is a minor hassle, but having a bass fail for any reason (and my case proves it's not just technical failure that can happen) or an amp go...or even both on one gig...is a much bigger pain in the arse/ass. I do have a DI box in my gig bag, but it takes longer to set that up in the event of a problem than to change the amp over.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1494999985' post='3300238']
Cheers, Blue, the only damage that bass seems to have sustained are a few small dents in the fingerboard between 2nd and 3rd frets where the strings were pressed against it when it fell. I changed the G string which had a deep cut in it from the edge of a cymbal and played the entire gig on it the next night, mainly to show the band the bass was OK!

And yes, taking spare bass and spare amp head is a minor hassle, but having a bass fail for any reason (and my case proves it's not just technical failure that can happen) or an amp go...or even both on one gig...is a much bigger pain in the arse/ass. I do have a DI box in my gig bag, but it takes longer to set that up in the event of a problem than to change the amp over.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Especially for guys like you that are out there in the gig trenches every weekend.

For the guys that are gigging once in a blue moon, maybe not so much of an issue.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1495004684' post='3300279']
I currently have a spare of everything except my cab. I am considering how to achieve that at the moment.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have a spare amp but not a spare cab.

I would consider a spare cab, but it would have to be very small.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495041378' post='3300814']
Yeah, I have a spare amp but not a spare cab.

I would consider a spare cab, but it would have to be very small.

Blue
[/quote]

I have been considering selling my 2x12 and getting 2 1x12s, use them together for larger gigs and singly for smaller ones, then I should at least always have one cab that works through the gig! Having said that, my Barefaced cab has been 100% reliable from day one, and I am very reluctant to sell my 'cherished' serial number 001! Maybe a second Super Twin, but then I'd need a bigger car as well!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1495041586' post='3300816']

I have been considering selling my 2x12 and getting 2 1x12s, use them together for larger gigs and singly for smaller ones, then I should at least always have one cab that works through the gig! Having said that, my Barefaced cab has been 100% reliable from day one, and I am very reluctant to sell my 'cherished' serial number 001! Maybe a second Super Twin, but then I'd need a bigger car as well!
[/quote]

I have 3 GK RBX cabs. Two 2 10 cabs and a 15.

Thing is while they're relatively small they're all heavy as hell and awkward to carry.

Blue

Good gig tonight ( now last night) it was a dep. Had got in a couple of rehearsals as there were loads of French numbers in the set that were new to me. All went great and even got to play a heavy rock version of "You're the one that I want"

Lovely bunch of French guys, got good money, good food and they even paid me extra for doing the two rehearsals. Now that IS a first for me.

Edited by leschirons

Our last gig as a quartet last night at The Bell in Bicester. Always a good gig in there, and last night was no exception. Good sound, up for it Saturday crowd, and everyone singing and dancing by the end. Also, a presentation to our retiring guitarist Dan for five great years.

Next stop for us (and our first as a trio) will be the Deerjam festival at Ye Olde Reindeer in Banbury on 3rd June.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Friday night at my local was our second outing and it was much more confident than the first , one or two interesting moments of improvisation but overall it went OK, it was well recieved and we got re-booked fro July , overheard some really good comments among the punters too.
so onto a fairly big gig next weekend , its the retirement do for the landlord of a pub we played regularly in our old format and we were his favorite booking , so , no pressure there then :D

Classic flying by the seat of the pants last night.

A friend asked us to play at his 40th - mini festival. Unfortunately we had a gig booked and I had to turn him down. However in the mean time our singer is seriously ill and is undergoing chemo so we had to cancel the initial gig. So I told my friend we could probably now play a half hour with the guitarist singing. In the mean time the drummer having cancelled the initial gig booked himself somewhere else.

Never mind. I pulled a favour from a drummer friend. We put together a list of 10 tunes we all kind of knew and jumped on stage with no practice. We played for an hour. No major car crashes but a few 'keep playing and smile' moments. Lots of nodding to each other to indicate changes.

Seemed to go down well, I've had 4 messages today already from friends about how good we were.

Love these random gigs. Can't beat a power trio.

Hairy Dog in Derby on Friday - cool venue! Not as many in as I'd hoped. I messed up a song - I really struggle with this one song, it gives me crippling cramp in my right hand (I'm on drums) and as soon as I hit something slightly out of time it really throws me off. I've been practising loads too :/ Still, we seemed to go down OK

Water Rats in London on Saturday. This is an ace venue! Had a really good night, managed the above song with no hiccups, went down well, good fun!

Played a hour long set last night at a small venue just up the road from the Roundhouse before the Hawkwind gig. Was more than happy that we got around 30 people along just to see us :)

I didn't play my best i have to be honest.....the venue was sweltering but it all seemed to come together with the crowd seemingly enjoying it which is good enough for me 👍

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1495883935' post='3307312']
Played a hour long set last night at a small venue just up the road from the Roundhouse before the Hawkwind gig. Was more than happy that we got around 30 people along just to see us :)

I didn't play my best i have to be honest.....the venue was sweltering but it all seemed to come together with the crowd seemingly enjoying it which is good enough for me
[/quote]

There would have been four more, but we were stuck in traffic. Hope to catch your band soon though.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1495913147' post='3307559']
No worries Dave .....Hawkwind were fantastic weren't they :)
[/quote]

Absolutely brilliant. I thought the Buxton gig would be difficult to top, but they did that and more. And what a venue!

Just back from an excellent night, playing in a brewery! Free beer on tap...but as we were all driving home, the intake was limited. Plenty of room, good acoustics, and a receptive and enthusiastic audience and staff.

The only downside was that the audience numbers were low due a music festival in town, but those who were there saw probably the best gig we have played this year.

Very pleased with last nights gig from a performance aspect, less so from a crowd perspective. It was supposed to be a big party gig for the landlords retirement , but he left last week and the bank holiday weekend meant the turnout was a bit shy , we had some dancing , but not the normal antics from that pub.
On a massive plus, I blooded a new bass in last night and I loved it , a gretsch junior jet shortscale, it felt just like it was always meant to be in my hands and sounded lovely.
A big up to graham from Dawson's in chester who recommended it to me , I upset Mrs Lurks when I told her I could sell all my other guitars now , she complained that I wasn't allowed to because of the guitar brackets on the walls would look awful without guitars hanging on them :D

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1495961419' post='3307725'] I upset Mrs Lurks when I told her I could sell all my other guitars now , she complained that I wasn't allowed to because of the guitar brackets on the walls would look awful without guitars hanging on them :D
[/quote]

Oh now that's one to put in the excuses book fellas!! :)

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1495961419' post='3307725']
I upset Mrs Lurks when I told her I could sell all my other guitars now , she complained that I wasn't allowed to because of the guitar brackets on the walls would look awful without guitars hanging on them :D
[/quote]

:lol: Love it.

Something else tent at bearded theory last night, typical festival chaos with the sound guys giving us the green light while I was still tuning up... Cracking gig though, a packed tent full of bouncing happy people makes me realise why I love making music :)
Sold a shed load of merch straight after too and got to watch New model army so happy days :)

A little back-story to last night’s gig. Hope this is not too long-winded but, bear with me.

On Tuesday I was contacted by a local venue to see if we could play on Saturday as the band they had booked couldn’t do the gig.
Before I confirmed we were ok, I texted each band member to check they were available.
Within twenty minutes I had replies from everyone to say they were free.

So far, so good.

I confirmed with the venue, The Twa Tams in Perth, that we were good to go.

I then set off on the drive down to Northumberland to spend a couple of days with a musician buddy who moved there a few months ago.
About an hour later, the lead guitarist texts me.

“Really sorry man, just realised I’ve got something on that night so I can’t make it.”
My reply ( the printable one) was, “The gig is confirmed, we are playing.”
However, he insisted he can’t make it so now, I’m faced with a problem.
Gigs are hard enough to come by as it is so there is no way I am giving this one up without a fight.
Cue much texting and phoning to see if I can get a dep. Everyone seems to be playing this weekend. I eventually get a reply from a young lad who I know from open mics in the town that he can play with us.
Bit of a result: he lacks neither talent nor confidence.

Next thing: we have a new guitarist joining the band and this will be his first gig with us. He has had one rehearsal so you can imagine how he feels. He tells me he will get down to work and should be well enough sorted for the gig.
Starting to feel a bit better about things as we all seem to be taking the view that, actually, this could be fun.
Both new guitarist and dep learned thirty-one songs in three days to at least giggable standard. Absolutely fantastic.

It turned out to be probably our best gig/performance to date. The crowd were up for it, right from our vocal sound-check, a three-part harmony of “When will I be loved” and continued throughout the whole evening.
Everybody in the band were totally relaxed and, despite a few missed cues and a couple of other daft things, played exceptionally well.
Really gratifying to see hard work paying off and turning what could have been a difficult night into a bit of a success.

Also nice to get a few more dates in the diary.

First topic of conversation at tomorrow’s rehearsal?

We have a band Google calendar: use it!

[quote name='beely' timestamp='1495974591' post='3307835']
A little back-story to last night’s gig. Hope this is not too long-winded but, bear with me.

On Tuesday I was contacted by a local venue to see if we could play on Saturday as the band they had booked couldn’t do the gig.
Before I confirmed we were ok, I texted each band member to check they were available.
Within twenty minutes I had replies from everyone to say they were free.

So far, so good.

I confirmed with the venue, The Twa Tams in Perth, that we were good to go.

I then set off on the drive down to Northumberland to spend a couple of days with a musician buddy who moved there a few months ago.
About an hour later, the lead guitarist texts me.

“Really sorry man, just realised I’ve got something on that night so I can’t make it.”
My reply ( the printable one) was, “The gig is confirmed, we are playing.”
However, he insisted he can’t make it so now, I’m faced with a problem.
Gigs are hard enough to come by as it is so there is no way I am giving this one up without a fight.
Cue much texting and phoning to see if I can get a dep. Everyone seems to be playing this weekend. I eventually get a reply from a young lad who I know from open mics in the town that he can play with us.
Bit of a result: he lacks neither talent nor confidence.

Next thing: we have a new guitarist joining the band and this will be his first gig with us. He has had one rehearsal so you can imagine how he feels. He tells me he will get down to work and should be well enough sorted for the gig.
Starting to feel a bit better about things as we all seem to be taking the view that, actually, this could be fun.
Both new guitarist and dep learned thirty-one songs in three days to at least giggable standard. Absolutely fantastic.

It turned out to be probably our best gig/performance to date. The crowd were up for it, right from our vocal sound-check, a three-part harmony of “When will I be loved” and continued throughout the whole evening.
Everybody in the band were totally relaxed and, despite a few missed cues and a couple of other daft things, played exceptionally well.
Really gratifying to see hard work paying off and turning what could have been a difficult night into a bit of a success.

Also nice to get a few more dates in the diary.

First topic of conversation at tomorrow’s rehearsal?

We have a band Google calendar: use it!
[/quote]

so, is the new guy your new guitarist substituting the one who created the problem?
It wasn't clear to me. If yes... then I like your style: ruthless but fair.
I hate being left to deal with crap like that when someone comes up with "oh I forgot..."... easy for them because they never deal with promotors or have to negotiate anything... or be the ones looking like an idiot.

Last night... gig in Coventry (The Arches Venue). Quite a drive from a band based in Scotland. We had a great support band... great because they were great guys&girls and they did a fantastic job, and great because they stayed to see us, and they became about one third of the crowd... the place was so empty... disappointing. There was another event, outdoor, less than 500m away with The Levellers, Level 42, and UB40... and I suspect that must have hurt the evening at this venue...
Still, it was a nice pay after expenses, and the hotel was pretty decent... but it feels bad when you know the promoter took a hit to have you play. He wants us back... fingers crossed!