Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1497786451' post='3320532']
We did a freebie yesterday for Party in the Park at Adderbury in the acoustic tent. I was tuning my double bass when the sound guy came over and said 'I just want to hear how it sounds before I mix it'. Well that's a first for me, so a big shout for soundman Andy.

PS, the mix was excellent.
[/quote]

Which band mate? I popped down in the afternoon before my evening gig in Deddington 🙂

We got asked to play at the Great Scottish Tatty Run today.

Well, there was more standard running involved too, but the Tatty Run was part of the event and I liked it: run with a sack of potatoes on your back... and at the end take them home.

It was a charity event in Holyrood Park, which was great as the weather has been fantastic. They invited us to play a couple of days ago and... why not? Backline provided, just show up and play... (I did bring my Mesa + Two10, as they allowed us to park right there, so...). There was no payment as such, but it's one of those gigs that are easy and right in your backyard and sound fun. In the end, we took a sack of potatoes home each :lol: I know some say that music pays peanuts, but...
:P

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1497819451' post='3320734']

FiddleBop at 6.30.
[/quote]

Ah I'd gone by then. You must've ended up headlining then, the original headliner pulled out. Hope it went well ☺

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1497820600' post='3320741']

Well, there was more standard running involved too, but the Tatty Run was part of the event and I liked it: run with a sack of potatoes on your back... and at the end take them home.

It was a charity event in Holyrood Park, which was great as the weather has been fantastic. They invited us to play a couple of days ago and... why not? Backline provided, just show up and play... (I did bring my Mesa + Two10, as they allowed us to park right there, so...). There was no payment as such, but it's one of those gigs that are easy and right in your backyard and sound fun. In the end, we took a sack of potatoes home each :lol: I know some say that music pays peanuts, but...
[/quote]
I knew there would come a time when I would regret splitting up with my ex......she owns a lovely apartment overlooking Holyrood park ;)

I must admit that I miss the music in Edinburgh... especially Bedford Falls et al at The Barony :gas:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1497820600' post='3320741']

[/quote]

I forgot to add: the best, better even than taking a sack of potatoes home :P were the small children dancing in front of the stage and doing cartwheels...
A few years ago I was playing with another band (Conscious Route) in another park party, and this small kid just danced through the whole set like mad... and when we stopped another came running saying "Nooooo!!!"... he just wanted more music. It's a refreshing contrast compared to shouty drunks asking for some song that we probably don't do (well, originals band...) but we can't be sure because he is unable to speak in any coherent manner... ah...

A whole load of technical problems and a soundman out of his depth put off the whole band on Saturday. Everyone made mistakes. Not fun when you're on stage but you have to keep smiling, and of course as usual the audience had no idea and loved the whole set

First gig playing bass with [url=https://inisolation.bandcamp.com]In Isolation[/url] on Saturday at The Chameleon in the sweltering heat.

Learnt the full set of 12 songs in 3 weeks and 4 rehearsals. Full of deceptively complex bass lines which made me work much harder as a player than I have in recent years. Didn't make any mistakes that the audience noticed, which is always a good thing, and during some of the less taxing songs I was even able to throw some suitable on-stage "shapes".

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/In%20Isolation/19149460_10154798185577865_2591553348727449078_n_zpswk5utm6b.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1498122057' post='3322602']
I wasn't familiar with In Isolation even though they appear to be a Nottm band, clicked on the link to bandcamp and I actually quite like some of this stuff so thanks for the link B)
[/quote]

Thanks!

I came across the band originally when we shared the bill at an early Terrortones gig and really enjoyed their music, so when the opportunity came up to play bass for them I jumped at it.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1498128545' post='3322650']
Just had a listen to the first song on the link...now THERE'S a bass sound (and mix)...fantastic :D

Was that you on the recording, BRX?
[/quote]

And thanks again! Unfortunately that's not me. It is a great bass sound (and riff) though, and I think I've got it pretty much nailed live with my BassPod. I've only been playing with them for about a month now. I believe all the bass parts on the album were written and played by one of the guitarists. Quite a few of the songs I've had to learn feature bass lines with complex guitar-style licks that only occur once or twice in the song, but in very prominent places. It's a good thing that I'm also a reasonable guitarist otherwise they might have been a lot more challenging to play.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1498122057' post='3322602']
I wasn't familiar with In Isolation even though they appear to be a Nottm band, clicked on the link to bandcamp and I actually quite like some of this stuff so thanks for the link B)
[/quote]

Same here - that is very listenable

Just back from playing an outdoor gig at the Motor Museum at Gaydon for the 60th anniversary of the Harley Davidson Sportster. A few organisational problems were overcome with little trouble and it was good to see so many people I know among the audience. Played on a flatbed trailer in the car park, a good gig overall, and decent money too!

We did a proper posh wedding tonight , scheduled tightly , shortish sets, song choices by the couple , even the running order , the DJ was great and even lit us up , the MC was on the ball and took her job seriously and the happy couple loved it !!
They even said they would come to the next pub gig just so they could sit and listen to the whole set that we do rather than be mingling with the guests :D
The bride hadn't seen us as we were a late stand in , but the husband had phoned his wife at our last pub gig and she listened over he phone to our first three songs , odd way to get a pucka wedding gig, but it worked out a treat for all !!

Yesterday 5 Hills Out played at the Exile Festival in Derbyshire (our home turf). This is on a farm high up on the side of the Derwent Valley with great views. The organisers were vague in advance about what backline might be there so I took my rig. However there was one already set up which the soundman wanted me to use. It was a decent set-up, Ampeg, but had I known that I'd have gone by bus and had a few beers (it was my birthday). A small annoyance though; we did a good set, made some new friends and got a fee as well as tickets for the whole weekend festival. A weekend off next before playing the Belper Food Festival on the 9th July

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1497871732' post='3320945']
First gig playing bass with [url="https://inisolation.bandcamp.com"]In Isolation[/url] on Saturday at The Chameleon in the sweltering heat.

Learnt the full set of 12 songs in 3 weeks and 4 rehearsals. Full of deceptively complex bass lines which made me work much harder as a player than I have in recent years. Didn't make any mistakes that the audience noticed, which is always a good thing, and during some of the less taxing songs I was even able to throw some suitable on-stage "shapes".

[/quote]

I enjoyed the recording linked... thanks!

Another visit to the town of Roche in Cornwall, this time at the Rock Inn, rather appropriate. Good night, more bookings, and also possible bookings elsewhere, near Bodmin and possibly in Exmouth!
Good night's work, and the new Ernie Cobalt flats were great - review to follow!

Something of a car-crash caused by a completely incompetent sound-person. We've gradually pieced together what happened after the event. Several channels on the desk were dead, but instead of systematically remapping the snake to the working inputs and relabelling the desk, he just randomly swapped things round until the right number of channels worked. Howling feedback caused by two open mic channels led to panic as he tried to mute the mic channels but instead muted the bass and the keyboards in the monitors just in time for a big breakdown that consists of (you guessed it: bass and keyboards). I couldn't hear her. She couldn't hear herself or me. His fiddling had already removed most of the Cajon from the FOH and drowned the singers (I have a recording, so I can hear all this happening in real time). None of this removed the feedback because the two errant mics were still live. Despite being totally butchered, we actually went down okay - with the comment that the music was great even though the sound was extremely bad. The evening was redeemed by headliners 'Scriptures' who were totally epic. It's great to hear a band doing originals that are this strong and are actually original. Some credit to our guitar player though, who spotted at the last minute that the sound guy had connected their singer to a dead channel too and fixed it just as they started. The sound guy wants to put us on again apparently. I'm not one to burn bridges but I think that's a big No Thanks. Fingers crossed for Saturday's 'acoustic' set. Rehearsal went well, so only the sound tech to worry about.

Edited by radiophonic

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1498376801' post='3324102']
Yesterday 5 Hills Out played at the Exile Festival in Derbyshire (our home turf). This is on a farm high up on the side of the Derwent Valley with great views...
[/quote]

I played that a year or two ago, what a great little festival!!

Forgot to post about our gig on Monday night. Played at the Cassington Bike Night, one set, all gear provided, just bring in our guitars and drumsticks as the road though the village is closed to everything except bikes. After a lot of hassle with guitarist & drummer getting seriously lost on the way, they rolled up just before our slot and played well. I used the Epiphone Thunderbird I'd bought the day before, sounded huge!

30 minutes 'Spotlight' set at Filthy's, a bar in the centre of Nottingham. Wer'e a Bowie Tribute band so the poster worked!

https://www.facebook.com/missbowieband/

Went down a storm to be fair....great gig, fantastic vibe from the audience. Our photographer also has a cool brand!

Just got home from my first solo gig of the year, at a pub in Banbury called The Muskateer.

Four acoustic acts, with me on first. I usual only play my own stuff when I play solo but as the venue is very much a family pub I thought I should drop in a few recognisable covers. I played for half an hour; with alternating cover/original.

All went well, good reaction, got paid. I really enjoyed it and have a few more solo gigs coming up, working around the band calendar. Good to blow the cobwebs away!

Unfortunately though, the pub had double booked. On one side of the pub, us. On the other side of the pub, a wake. Most of the wake attendees were pretty well oiled by the time I played and I was asked to play something by Oasis, a favourite of the deceased apparently. Not knowing any Oasis songs I had to sadly decline. It was fortunate that I learnt about the wake when I did as my next song was going to be The Smiths' There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, with its chorus lyric of dying in a road accident, I thought I should remove it from the set.

Next stop for me is back on the bass at the annual, local Bodfest event with the band next weekend. Hope the weather is good!

Edited by PaulGibsonBass