How was your gig last night?

6437 replies to this topic

#6421 ivansc

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

(grin) Despite my asking among my farcebook friends if anyone wanted to join me on a regular basis, the local drums bass and guitar Mafia once again have arranged a couple of gigs for me - tickles me the way they discuss it all, book it and THEN tell me!

Last nights gig was me playing as part of that same Cambridge Mafia - two regular members were on holiday - so I got to do my usual stuff AND play elecrtic guitar for a couple of other acts!
A busy, fun evening and amazingly my wife decided to come too - probably the first time in ten years she has attended one og my gigs!

#6422 blue

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts
  • Interests:Keeping real rock alive especially live performance.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

Norris, on 05 September 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Apparently so. I don't find it particularly attractive myself - even when a young lady is doing it, rather than the chunky middle aged woman we were subjected to

In the States we have a Federal Law. No twerking if your over 40.

We enforce this law with a hefty fine, community service and in some extreme twerking judgements, jail time.

Blue

#6423 Number6

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:Yes i have a few bass guitars and a couple of amps.....that is all. I really should learn how to play bass properly.....I seem to get by.

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

Played a club last night called T Chances in Tottenham with 3 other bands. The only problem was the mids were blown on the house PA and no monitors so the soundman and bands struggled with the vocals.

We all muddled through though and it panned out a decent night with a decent crowd who were dancing :)

Edited by Number6, 09 September 2017 - 02:29 PM.

Follow us on Twitter: @spirit_ot_age

Email: spiritoftheage2014@gmail.com

Yamaha BB424x
Epiphone Allen Woody Signature
Fender Precision MiM
Fender Precision Highway One
Fame Deuce 4 Jazz Bass
Squier Modded PJ Jazz Bass
(Too many basses).....

TC Electronic BG208
Kustom 2x10 Cab
Behringer BX3000T
Hartke VX410

Shure SM58 (for my woeful singing)

#6424 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Guitar, Drums (a bit), Squash

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

James St Tavern just off the Cowley road, Oxford. Good, attentive audience, a couple of other decent acts, and we got paid. The Peavey p.a. was surprisingly good too. A nice evening all round.
3 gigs tonight... gulp!, at least it is 2 different bands in only 2 different venues.
U.S. Masters EP42 trans blue-- U.S. Masters EP42 lacewood fretless-- Sei Flamboyant headless 4
Genz-Benz Shuttle3.0 & Shuttle6.0--Ashdown CTM15 - Barefaced Super Midget G3, Midget G2-- 1x12 cab with EVM12L-- 1x10 baby cab with Celestion BN200-10X

My feedback Music by Charms Against The Evil Eye: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-moon
For sale: Celestion Greenbacks
Zoom MRS-1266 12 track digital recorder

#6425 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Guitar, Drums (a bit), Squash

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

Well, not a bad evening. Was playing as a duo at a community centre all day charity jobbie, but had a tabla player on board for the first two numbers and a flute player too, which all sounded lush. Then I played a 30 odd minute funky space jam with the same guys that called me up to dep last weekend, then a quick dash from Oxford to Drayton for D-fest to do the exact same thing again in a well organized pub garden event.
I found it pretty tedious, as it was a vehicle for guitar twiddlery, but at least got paid £40 for that particular 35 minutes work. Some of the audience said it was good, but I doubt I would have stayed if I were in their place...

Edited by MoonBassAlpha, 09 September 2017 - 11:33 PM.

U.S. Masters EP42 trans blue-- U.S. Masters EP42 lacewood fretless-- Sei Flamboyant headless 4
Genz-Benz Shuttle3.0 & Shuttle6.0--Ashdown CTM15 - Barefaced Super Midget G3, Midget G2-- 1x12 cab with EVM12L-- 1x10 baby cab with Celestion BN200-10X

My feedback Music by Charms Against The Evil Eye: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-moon
For sale: Celestion Greenbacks
Zoom MRS-1266 12 track digital recorder

#6426 FinnDave

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Interests:Bass, bass, and more bass.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:44 AM

We had a gig at a newish venue in Swindon. Decent place, but not really established as a music venue, so the audience was quite small. Bit disappointing compared to last week's Swindon gig, which was great. Oh well. Marlborough next week.
Bass player for The Wirebirds (funky psychedelic blues/rock).

Various basses, couple of amps, couple of speakers. Collection of part-used Plectrums.

Things for sale: Fender 60s Classic Jazz, Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II

Keeping it live, keeping it real.

The Wirebirds

Lemonrock

Live recordings

#6427 hiram.k.hackenbacker

Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Watching C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tannhäuser Gate

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:54 AM

Just returned home after a 300+ mile round trip for a theatre gig in Stroud.

Fantastic gig with a lot of appropriately aged fans of the 80's. Reelly good atmosphere. Always helps when there is a Hen Party in the crowd 😀

Winding back to the moment I walked in the room yesterday; large ballroom, high ceilinged, boxy, hard flat surfaces everywhere, wasn't hopeful. The guy on the desk, who had never heard us, had never used the large analog desk in front of him before, made the place sing. I could hear everything whilst I was on stage (for a frickin' change). This has happened a lot recently. I've played some gigs this year with unfamiliar faces on the desk that really know their stuff and it makes a hell of a lot of a difference. Colour me very impressed indeed.

P.S. I would normally use IEM's for this type of gig and did take them with me, however, I do enjoy playing without them if I can get away with it.

Not as many basses as I would like, but probably more than I deserve!

Posted Image

CHANGESTWOBOWIE

FEEDBACK

#6428 Delberthot

Ka Kaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:02 AM

I'm also just back from a 300 mile round trip wedding. This was the second wedding of the weekend with the last one tomorrow night.

The gig was good but it was the drive home that was really fun. I recently had a midlife crisis and bought a VW Scirocco R. I can still get my gear and the guitarists, and the guitarist along with clothes, supplies etc inside it. Unbelievably fast. I've never owned anything even close to this before.

I always used to say that when I stopped gigging I'd buy myself something silly as I've always had to have big cars to carry 4x10" etc but thanks to class D amps and Barefaced I can enjoy it now while I am still gigging :D
2016 US Musicman Sterling with, Ultralights, Hipshot Double Stop & D'addario EXL165 strings

Gallien Krueger MB500

Barefaced One 10

GLX Bass Overdrive & Line6 Space Chorus FOR SALE

My Feedback

#6429 louisthebass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

Did a gig at The Rowbarge in Guildford last night, probably only about 20 or so in the area where we were playing but managed to get most of them up and dancing for a good chunk of the night. :)
"Hang Tough - never EVER give up!" - Maj. Richard D. Winters, Easy Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division.

#6430 Graham

Four strings good, five strings better

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

One of our regular public venues last night, was a bit of a surprise when we arrived and found they'd removed the stage, however there was a lot more room in the space we set-up in though, so a good change I think.

It was a very good gig overall, with people dancing from the first song. I'm very happy with my new set-up - no amp on stage, just DI through my EBS Microbass.

As with the last couple of gigs at this venue we dropped the break, and as we got such a good response to soundcheck we just started. As a result we played for nearly three hours straight (so getting closer to Blue's sets), including two genuine encores.

Tiring night, but it was cracking.
Basses by Lakland and G&L
Amps by EBS and Gallien-Krueger
D'addario strings, Cleartone cables

Experienced bassist available for session / dep work in the Sussex, Surrey and Kent area:
http://www.facebook....GrahamSmithBass

Bassist for Naked Bass - party covers for weddings, parties and corporate events
www.nakedbass.co.uk

#6431 Callumjord

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Bass Guitar, Weights, Beer and Steak... in that order.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Interesting gig last night, first time playing at a pub in Buckie, all the gear sorted out ready to go through when our lead guitarist turns up drunk. He somehow manages to blag his way through the entire gig without making any major cock ups. Tried a lot of new songs and they all went down a treat. Was any typical pub gig, a lot of drunk people falling around, onto one of our stage monitors completely breaking the cable, so that will need replacing. All in all aside from all the small annoyances it was a solid good gig and I had a great time. And landlord wanted our availability for all of next year.
Basses:
Fender American Professional P |Yamaha RBX 775 |Vintage V965TSB (MM copy)

Backline:
Eden WTX-264| Zilla Fat Boy Bass 2x12

Pedals:
DHA |Tech 21 |Boss |EHX |Mooer

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/DiamondSkiesUK

#6432 peety

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

Played Orrell live yesterday a local last night of the proms event which finishes with a brass band doing land of hope and glory etc,

We were on at 430 which turned out to be a great slot in between Nathan Moore ex brother beyond and the remaining members of S Club 7 now quaintly renamed S Club party

We were the only full band on so had a great time with the engineers who were excellent so nice to have a big stage to move around on crowd numbering around 2000 we managed to get lots of people down to the front in party mood and dancing played really well did a good one hour set great sound and audience reaction.

Used the jake I have for sale on here as my other one has developed an electrical issue that I didn't have time to fix now thinking about the wisdom of selling it as it sounded great.

Think next weeks pub gig might be a bit of a struggle hahahahaha
Jake 4P+ White Tort Maple
Jake 4P Custom Black/Tort/Rosewood
Fender Rumble 210 500 Combo

#6433 Telebass

Old fart with a P-bass...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  • Interests:Bass.
    Cycling.
    Old Underground trains.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

First gig for several weeks. White Hart Hotel in Launceston. Well paid, very good crowd of 250+. Boss TU2 packed up...played straight in with a clip-on Snark.

Edited by Telebass, 10 September 2017 - 06:12 PM.

Basses: Fender Precision Bitsa, Yamaha BB414
Noise: Markbass!

#6434 Woodinblack

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Interests:Oh.. stuff..

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:45 PM

Played at a local working mens club. Its normally pretty dead, but there were other gigs on that weekend so we were expecting deader than dead, so it came as a surprise to find out that it was actually pretty crowded. I played my new iceman and it was noticed by several people who had never noticed the bass before.
First half the guitarist threatened to deck the drummer because he was laughing, and thought he was lauging it him, rather than the drunk guy trying to undress in the audience while his wife tried to dress him again. Second half drunk guy had a swing at another drunk guy but it was quickly calmed down, after which we played saturdays alright for fighting, which we weren't really ready to do but it seemed appropriate. Turned out to be a good night. As I was getting to leave someone said that the aformentioned drunk guy and his wife needed a lift home because they couldn't get a taxi.. Hmm.. yes, take punchy drunk guy in my car to throw up all over it as a favour? Maybe not :D
Maruszczyk Elwood5/24
Ibanez SR5005, SRFF805, SR1605, SR1000EWM, SRF705, SRC6, ATK305, ICB08
Squier CV P Bass,
Epiphone Thunderbird Classic iV
Hohner B2,
G&L2500
Roland GR55
.. and lots and lots of guitars

Amps and cabs by those lovely TC Electronic people

Feedback

#6435 casapete

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

We played at the Reload festival in Norwich yesterday.
Good lineup of mainly 80's-ish bands, including the Gibson Brothers, Jocelyn Brown, Aswad, Blue and Billy Ocean.
We were sandwiched between The Christians , who were just amazing, and Odyssey, who were also brilliant.
The weather was a bit autumnal with a strong wind not helping, but the sound onstage (and off ) was fantastic.
Our band went down well, with lots of audience participation and cheering. A really enjoyable gig.
The organisation of the event was also top notch, the crew and everyone involved being helpful and upbeat.
Even the catering was excellent too! All in all a great event which we hope we are involved in again.

#6436 razze06

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

First gig in 9 months for us, due to singer going on maternity leave, and tot he process of replacing our previous drummer. Post-wedding party at the Traquair village hall, in the Borders not far from Peebles. Lovely little venue, with a sizeable stage and good acoustics. The crowd was also very enthusiastic, danced all night to everything we played.

https://drive.google...DStEK4bjhIGbGjw

First proper gig with the PJB suitcase and extension cab. Loved it with the electric bass, but the DB had sound problems of its own. Couldn't get it loud enough on stage, and never had enough time to sort the sound out properly before we had to start. Methinks it's time for a simpler solution - who needs faithful reproduction of the acoustic sound anyway? :)
Paddles:
Peavey T40 - Fender Aerodyne Precision - Warwick Corvette - CMI "Ned Callan" - S.U.B Ray4 - Peavey Grind BXP 4 - Ibanez SR800LE

Wardrobes:
Stagg EDB - GEWA plywood Double Bass

* Headway The Band DB pickup, Headway EDB2 preamp

* Nostalgia amps: Peavey Mark III 400 Series, "Nearly Bassman" homebrew valve head

I like Phil Jones amps:

* PJB Suitcase + PJB 4B extension cab
* PJB Briefcase

#6437 cheddatom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

A couple of festivals - brilliant on Friday night, ace sound, great venue, great audience. Saturday night was a similar sized affair but the stage was tiny, I managed to whack my head on the lights a few times, only the kick drum was mic'd up on the kit but even that wasn't cutting through... still, appreciate little audience and I got to see Lozz's band Knock Off play their last few songs - Tight as can be and a brilliant sound from them (they were on a different stage)
Please check out my recording studio in stoke-on-trent
http://rifffactory.co.uk

#6438 bassace

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

Keyboard player booked for the gig didn't turn up.
THE BASS RACK
Paul Bryant 3/4 Solo DB
Thomas Martin 3/4 Solo DB
Unknown German Blonde Lami DB
Kolstein Travel Bass

THE AMP WAREHOUSE
AI Clarus 2R - Mk4
2-TecAmp Puma 500
Big E 4x5 Cab
Crazy 8 Cab
EA 12" Wizzy
EA 10" Wizzy