Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='123658' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:59 AM']..But just how scary is it when pub landlords or managers start telling you how to do your sound!!! :) You want to say something like " P*ss off and go pull some pints and we'll do our F*ing sound, thanks" but you can't, can you....[/quote]
Haha.. we had a bit of that in a locals place we played last night. And they always come and tell you when you're in the middle of playing a fast song. "Oh yeah, I've got a hand free, I'll just sort that now for you..."

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='123658' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:59 AM']We did a gig at a pub in Brighton Marina last night. Great crowd - had them all singing and dancing by the end of the evening so can't complain..

..But just how scary is it when pub landlords or managers start telling you how to do your sound!!! :) You want to say something like " P*ss off and go pull some pints and we'll do our F*ing sound, thanks" but you can't, can you....

Typical sh*te acoustics in there as well, but did I start telling him how to rebuild his pub?

Good night though...[/quote]

Maybe he knows the room better than you?

A weekend of mixed emotions again :) - Friday was another ebay gig. First time we'd played since Xmas and it showed. The audience weren't into it at all and after carrying all the gear back downstairs I left the rest of the band with a clear message that if it doesn't get any better than that, I'm jacking in and selling up.

Then last night, it was an absolute stormer - one of the best gigs we've ever had. The guitarist's new amp and my new rig sounded fantastic and, with the audience up for a good time, it inspired us to do one of the best performances we've ever done.

Now I'm happy again and looking forward to next weekend.

• Like 1

Obscure Leeds pub,played it MANY times,singers voice was f***ed after the previous nights gig,he dosent take care of himself,and its annoying...

Flipside is WE or rather I,have ,to cover..I dont get to do lead vox much,but last night...well I did!

and whilst playing my 1st full gig on the 9.

hands hurt,back hurts,Im tired,and the cars full..and Ive a lot of money to put in the bank....

Edited by ARGH

Back at a small pub just outside Bordon, Hants last night. We expected a low attendance due to low finances at this time of year, but the place had a pretty good turnout considering. Apparently, the landlady had been asked by regs to get us back in!

It was a strange gig, as by our standards, we were terrible. Lots of bum notes, my voice packed in completely (throat infection) and some girl knocked my mic stand round as well. Bizarrely, the audience reaction was probably the best we've had!

We had to change the encores due to my new vocal incapacity but kept them all happy. Now, our band ethic is to try not to play a lot of the songs that standard covers bands do. However, when the entire pub is chanting Jonny B Goode, it's best to keep 'em happy, and it certainly did! Think we'll have to do that one when we go back.

Even got called for a second encore! We'll have to play badly more often. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='123663' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:10 AM']Haha.. we had a bit of that in a locals place we played last night. And they always come and tell you when you're in the middle of playing a fast song. "Oh yeah, I've got a hand free, I'll just sort that now for you..."[/quote]
+1

Good point Old Git but in this case, the guy may have known the room better than us from hearing bands in there regularly, but he didn't know anything about live sound at all which was obvious from his comments.. And as usual, like most bands do I suspect, we worked around it and got on with it so no harm done. Just a bit irritating..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='124196' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:00 PM']+1

Good point Old Git but in this case, the guy may have known the room better than us from hearing bands in there regularly, but he didn't know anything about live sound at all which was obvious from his comments.. And as usual, like most bands do I suspect, we worked around it and got on with it so no harm done. Just a bit irritating..[/quote]

Fair enough .. Occasionally a punter will come up and make a suggestion (and occasionally I do this if I'm an audient) and make a sugestion ... depends on what they say whether I adjust the DFA knob or a real one :) I also pop down and check for myself .. good ol' wireless eh?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='124269' date='Jan 20 2008, 11:38 PM']Ha ha. Like it. :huh: I just made a mental note of where my DFA knob is for future reference. ;)[/quote]

There was a whole discussion on the effect of the DFA knob on PA's recently. I seem to remember there was rather a lot about guitarists sound and singer's monitors :) ...

Saturday Nights gig was good, The Office in Swansea, despite the fact we got soaked loading the gear in. Our guitarist had a few problems in the second half of the gig, his amp decided to play up, his leads were breaking down and he was snapping strings :huh: , he sorted it real quick though...first time a rhythm guitarist came in handy :)

Sunday nights gig, The Swiss Chalet Swindon, good gig, a great friendly crowd and the Landlord John is a top bloke!!! One of those gigs where everything goes fine, good sound, band played well and we got another date.

all didn't bode well for our gig on saturday...........

1: pub has been going downhill a little due to new management

2: old management have taken over pub just up the road and started having live bands/taking punters

3: three popular/established local bands were doing a triple header at the other main venue in town.

4: major row with guitarist after soundcheck (regarding his 'jazz' scales)

but despite all that, come showtime, the place was pretty packed and people were up and dancing from the first song! we rocked out as per usual and went down a storm and got a bike show booking out of it too. result all round!

peace

c

[quote name='BlueBear' post='123992' date='Jan 20 2008, 05:52 PM']Back at a small pub just outside Bordon, Hants last night.[/quote]
Which one was that? We used to do the Royal Oak Passfield - which I think has completely gone now - and another nearby that had shades of Deliverance last time we were ther. Mind you that was probably 10 years ago now :)

As for tonight / last night worked for me. New gear, new songs, first one back since mid December, minus keys / 2nd guitarist, but a crowd that seemed pretty much up for it, so all in all good fun & blew some cobwebs away

Edited by WalMan

One of the longest gigs I've done - arrived and set up at 5.30pm, sound check, 2 sets with the big band , then an additional set with the 7 piece (doing Kind of Blue, which was pretty cool apart from me totally fu*king up So What :) ) then pack up all the PA etc and home just before 2am...

Gig was in a garage! - thankfully they'd moved all the cars out of it (except one) and everyone seemed to have a good night - drummer got cramp, no stamina ;) wouldn't mind but I'd already done a 4 hour rehearsal with my rock trio in the afternoon!

Time for a quick Guinness before bed :huh:

[quote name='WalMan' post='128511' date='Jan 27 2008, 02:25 AM']Which one was that? We used to do the Royal Oak Passfield - which I think has completely gone now - and another nearby that had shades of Deliverance last time we were ther. Mind you that was probably 10 years ago now :huh:[/quote]

It was The Royal Exchange in Lindford.

The Royal Oak re-opened and is still the main place in the area for live bands. Thing is, they're not the best at getting back to folks. Three times they said they'd call me back and didn't! :)

That other place would have been The Passfield Oak - that's long gone. Never ever went in it myself, apparently I didn't miss much though.

The Bacchus down on Henley Beach here in Adelaide (again). Gig was a good one, guit4ri5t used his new Fender Vibrolux for the very 1st time and sounded like a cross between fantastic and some clown turning knobs trying to find a half decent sound.

Warm evening sunset in the west directly over the sea. Lots of people enjoying themselves, free beer, good pay. Sweeeet. :)

The Fiddlers in Bristol last night... being January we weren't expecting much, but it was a belter. Great crowd well up for it, and our very own [b]joegarcia[/b] behind the desk... I've heard nothing but excellent reports on the FOH sound, most of them being of the "best sound you've had at the Fiddlers" variety.
The only sad thing is that it was Dr.Liz's last gig on alto sax... she's off, taking her shiny new medical degree to pastures new. Gonna miss her.

Our drummer departed at beginning of January, which escalated a crisis and as a result we decided to split the band. We had two remaining dates to fill, the second of which was last night in Haslemere. For both of these we used a drummer who plays in another band with the lead guitarist and all credit to him picking up the nuances of the set list very quickly.

All the tensions of the last few weeks had gone, we were all very relaxed and had a great night. The place was rocking. Dancing on the tables, etc. After we'd finished friends kept saying you mustn't pack it in so I don't think we will now.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='124218' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:22 PM']Bloody hard work . Silverfoxnik can back me up on this one I'm sure .
Prince Albert in Eastbourne. 2 x 45 min sets followed by a hour set until 1am.
To unresponsive pissed audience ... such is life . It's paid my petrol to work for this month lol[/quote]
Hi Nick

Only just seen you post, sorry... Yeah, the Prince Albert is a really difficult one so we've stopped playing there now. The audiences we've had at our gigs there have been great but the two guys who run the place are rude as f*ck to be honest. Playing 3 sets until 1am for the same money you get playing other venues where you only have to do 2 sets is bad enough, but the feeling of being used & abused is massively compounded by the awful attitudes of these guys!

Good to see you can take the positive out of the situation though...

Nik

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='128549' date='Jan 27 2008, 10:26 AM']The Bacchus down on Henley Beach here in Adelaide (again). Gig was a good one, guit4ri5t used his new Fender Vibrolux for the very 1st time and sounded like a cross between fantastic and some clown turning knobs trying to find a half decent sound.

Warm evening sunset in the west directly over the sea. Lots of people enjoying themselves, free beer, good pay. Sweeeet. :)[/quote]

Sounds pretty good to me (I lived in a Hostel in Adelaide before moving to Whyalla in 1967), so I can just picture the scene.

AND free beer

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='128628' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:10 PM']Hi Nick

Only just seen you post, sorry... Yeah, the Prince Albert is a really difficult one so we've stopped playing there now. The audiences we've had at our gigs there have been great but the two guys who run the place are rude as f*ck to be honest. Playing 3 sets until 1am for the same money you get playing other venues where you only have to do 2 sets is bad enough, but the feeling of being used & abused is massively compounded by the awful attitudes of these guys!

Good to see you can take the positive out of the situation though...

Nik[/quote]

It's ten minutes down the road , that's the positive :)

Played there 3 weeks in a row in december and that's just about done me in . Band that played the other Friday apparently stopped half way through the last set and said "F88k this, lets go home" ,, and they did lol
They're running low on bands to play there now, and I dont think that'll change til they up the ante.

I was in a bit of a funk this weekend, and not in a good way. Played ok, could have played better though, good crowds (both cover gigs), but i dunno, wasn't clicking for me. Last weekend was a lot of fun, and next weekend is all originals gigs (hurrah). But yeah, wasn't feeling it this weekend.

Means more practise then usual this week, so not a bad thing :)

Si

Strange one really last night, firstly it was a Christmas party!!! Secondly they had 2 rooms, both with seperate Dj's. Luckily we where in the bigger castle like room, built in the 16th centrury, the walls where covered in Sheilds and Jousting 'Sticks'!! :)

First set was a real slog. no one seemed interested even the DJ had trouble getting people up. But the second set was rocking, everone seemed to be digging it. Even had a very scary lady feeling the singer up.