Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I don't post here usually, but I thought I would for this one.

Last night was my full-time Electric DB debut, playing for a 40's dance band that I used to gig with on my Dobro bass. Haven't played with them for 6-7 years, then only one rehs and gig. Sheet music too.

To use a colloquial term, sheetyerpants scary.

Amazingly, it went well - much better than I had feared.

Learning more about my recently acquired SWR Studio 220, and how it probably wants to work either at 4R or with a slave amp taking the load on one cab gigs. Live and learn, eh?

Edited by Tonteee

The Crew in Nuneaton, with my band 5 Hills Out. It was a two-band night of Folk-Punk originals and we shared the bill with Bleeding Hearts.
The Crew is a great venue, a proper sweaty rock bar venue and well worth a visit.
The sound man and promoter are the same person and he did a good job on the sound. The key factor for me was that he didn't swamp the sound with kick bass drum.
The venue supplied the PA, we shared backline with the other band and we got paid.
An appreciative crowd and we sold some CDs. A good start to the weekend.

We played in Swindon last night, so a home crowd for us. Good gig with no problems. Jenny Haan showed up and we had her up to sing a coulee of songs with us, which went down well with the audience. Good venue, decent acoustics and easy parking/load in and out, one of our favourites. Third time Ive played there this year (in two different bands).

First time playing at a small bar in Buckie last night, Buckie generally has a reputation of being a rough night. We turn up and quickly set up, the pub is small so space is pretty tight. First set finished and the pub is packed, a lot of people up dancing and drinks flowing, half way through the second set a guy walks in that has clearly already had two too many drinks, he starts heckling our singers for the rest of set 2 and set 3. Then he starts making requests for heavy songs that he enjoys, slipknot, deaftones, we politely tell him we are not that sort of band. Anyway we finish for the night and start to pack up, the guy is determined for us to listen to his heavy metal band that he sings in. We are half way through packing up and the guy is at the bar having more drinks and next thing you know he just kicks off with the land lord and some of the locals in the middle of the bar, things then sprawl out into the street and particularly to my car that I had moved closer to the pub to help pack up. The police are called and during the time for them to show up everyone is just trying to avoid this guy, the pub was locked up with the punters and land lord inside to cool off. The turn up and arrest the guy, take statements from everyone there, adding an unwanted 1 1/2 hours onto our night. The land lord came up and apologised for the night, praised us for how well we played and booked us for another 3 dates throughout the rest of the year, we got paid and some of the punters helped us pack the rest of our equipment away. All in all it was a good night that was ruined by one individual.

Friday night played the Gunner's pub in North London.....funnily enough it's an Arsenal supporters pub. However Friday night it was packed with Hawkwind and Electric Cake Salad fans.....and if i'm not being too bold our band Spirit of the Age and Electric Cake Salad rocked it. Two other bands on the bill too our good friends Lack and Rites of Hadda were fantastic.....the Landlord loved us all and invited us back :) oh and me and our Gu*tarist drank copious amounts of cloudy cider and made good use of the all night Tube service to get home :)

Standard social club last night - dead in the first half, making it hard work; much better enagagement from the crowd in the second half making it much more enjoyable.

Also, had the standard social club audience - drunk bloke calling for Oasis? Check, single 50 year old woman chatting up the guitarist? Check, group of young lasses having too much to drink and getting into a shrieking argument? All there last night :lol:

Well, mine was 'boring': no fights, no police involved... during the break two guys went on stage because they thought it would look cool to have pictured taken (they did not get too tempted to grab the sax, which would have unleashed a bit of a fury ;)) but they were promptly told to get off the stage by the sound guy, threatening them to be booted out. So they laugh and left the stage. As I said, boring ;)

The reason I am writing is because I had something happening to me that was very strange. As we're saying our goodbyes etc the crowd starting chanting the usual 'one more tune' etc... so we went back for one more. And I blanked. i forgot how the song went. I started playing something entirely different (first chord was the same, but that's about it)... If I sometimes blank out like that, it's usually a very brief thing and I catch up at the next one... but I did not... and I just had to stop playing, which I never do. I had to concentrate, so I turned around as my bandmates laughed... and get the song in my head as I danced around to it... then it clicked! and I turned around fast joining back in... what could have looked terrible ended up as a joke... the people in the front were amused by it all, we were all laughing at the forgetful bass player... and we ended up with a very great cheer...

It's funny how something that back in the day would have just made me nervous and feel terrible, I can now just laugh it off and not let it spoil the mood. As long as it's not a regular occurrence! :lol:
Weird how you can just suddenly have a completely blank mind...

Club Rock in Carlisle on Saturday. We're from Stoke so this is a long way, about 2 hours 40 to drive with no traffic and no stops. I'd been told we'd be on around 10pm. My girlfriend flew to Spain yesterday so I thought it'd be nice to go to the lakes on Friday, stay over, get to Carlisle for the gig on Saturday, and get home for 1-2AM Sunday morning

It turned out the stage time was more like 11pm, and we actually didn't get on until 11:45 ish. They still wanted an hour set, shouting for more at the end. I got home at 4AM knackered.

I think there were about 20 people in there at the most. They did seem to enjoy it and some bought CDs etc. It's difficult to know if these gigs are worth doing. I guess this is how you start to build up a fan base in new areas

We played an 8:00-12:00 lake bar gig Saturday night.

We play this bar every couple of months or so.

1. Great crowd, they come to hear live music.The place was packed.

2. Appreciative staff.

3. Great sounding room

4. Good tips, these people have a lot of $$

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1491819353' post='3275536']
Club Rock in Carlisle on Saturday. We're from Stoke so this is a long way, about 2 hours 40 to drive with no traffic and no stops. I'd been told we'd be on around 10pm. My girlfriend flew to Spain yesterday so I thought it'd be nice to go to the lakes on Friday, stay over, get to Carlisle for the gig on Saturday, and get home for 1-2AM Sunday morning

It turned out the stage time was more like 11pm, and we actually didn't get on until 11:45 ish. They still wanted an hour set, shouting for more at the end. I got home at 4AM knackered.

I think there were about 20 people in there at the most. They did seem to enjoy it and some bought CDs etc. It's difficult to know if these gigs are worth doing. I guess this is how you start to build up a fan base in new areas
[/quote]

I hope for that sort of drive the pay was good. Sorry, I'm a Yankee and money is very important to me.

Most of our gigs are less than 30 minutes one way commute. We would charge at least $1,500.00 for that sort of travel time.

64, Yes I remember being young and driving that far to play for free.

I don't think driving that far to play to 20 people for an hour is a good way to build a following or good use of the bands time IMO.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1491722892' post='3274927']
We played in Swindon last night, so a home crowd for us. Good gig with no problems. Jenny Haan showed up and we had her up to sing a coulee of songs with us, which went down well with the audience. Good venue, decent acoustics and easy parking/load in and out, one of our favourites. Third time Ive played there this year (in two different bands).
[/quote]

Nice Gig!

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1491867515' post='3276063']
...I don't think driving that far to play to 20 people for an hour is a good way to build a following or good use of the bands time IMO.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, it's an original band, and it seems to be the way it goes. Play in a new town and there are not many there, but you win over the ones who are. The next time you play that town, they all come and bring more people, and so on.

To put it in money terms, with an original band, you're selling directly to the audience. It's not about how much they drink, it's about whether they will buy merch and follow you to your next shows. It's a totally different game to yours, which is selling a service directly to the landlord

...but yeh, the pay was allright

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1491897692' post='3276160']

Well, it's an original band, and it seems to be the way it goes. Play in a new town and there are not many there, but you win over the ones who are. The next time you play that town, they all come and bring more people, and so on.

To put it in money terms, with an original band, you're selling directly to the audience. It's not about how much they drink, it's about whether they will buy merch and follow you to your next shows. It's a totally different game to yours, which is selling a service directly to the landlord

...but yeh, the pay was allright
[/quote]

64, been in at least 2 originals bands within the last 10 years and understand the difference.

If the pay was acceptable then I'd say it was worth it.

Blue

It was Sunday night (not last night) but had a really good gig with the originals Duo. Small club in North Devon, and we had dragged in lots of Muso friends, which helps. Got more than they usually get for a Sunday night at the club, good door money and so everyone happy! CD sales were zero :(

Did a few covers in the set, including Wherever I Lay My Hat, and I offered a free CD to anyone who could name the bass player. No one could. No one knew his name when I told them it was Pino. And this was a mainly musician (but not bass player) audience. We are the unknown warriors of music!

[quote name='Rainbass' timestamp='1492079858' post='3277730']
It was Sunday night (not last night) but had a really good gig with the originals Duo. Small club in North Devon, and we had dragged in lots of Muso friends, which helps. Got more than they usually get for a Sunday night at the club, good door money and so everyone happy! CD sales were zero :(

Did a few covers in the set, including Wherever I Lay My Hat, and I offered a free CD to anyone who could name the bass player. No one could. No one knew his name when I told them it was Pino. And this was a mainly musician (but not bass player) audience. We are the unknown warriors of music!
[/quote]

I don't really know who Pino is. I know he's referenced to on BC a lot, but that's about all I know.

Blue

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1491138008' post='3270738']
Birthday party at an out-in-the-sticks social club in Cornwall. Good crowd spoiled by one or two falling down drunks and girls that want to sing and try and snatch the mic. Front man doesn't mind, but I do!
Otherwise very good.
[/quote]

almost .... golf club private booking 60th birthday party, 70s something old dear wanders over to me (why not ask one of our two vox at the front???) its my son-in-laws birthday soon and i want you to play lady in red .... we dont play that sorry .... oh you must do everybody knows it .... exits stage left somewhat indigant with our set list choices :huh:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1492241849' post='3278840']

almost .... golf club private booking 60th birthday party, 70s something old dear wanders over to me (why not ask one of our two vox at the front???) its my son-in-laws birthday soon and i want you to play lady in red .... we dont play that sorry .... oh you must do everybody knows it .... exits stage left somewhat indigant with our set list choices :huh:
[/quote]

But you're in a band! Surely you know how to play every song ever written by anybody ever?! 😉

[quote name='Rainbass' timestamp='1492079858' post='3277730']
[/quote]

Before I was on here I wouldn't either. Not big on musicians names, unless they were from groups I listened to a lot when I was young and used to read the sleeves, and Paul Young wouldn't have fitted into that group. So you know, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Lemmy and umm....

Last night's gig was quite satisfying, in a band that we originally intended to be a bluesy trio but which is steadily drifting in a more rockish direction with a mixture of covers and originals. It's not a style I've done much of previously, but we're having fun and getting paid, so it's all good!
It was a decent sized room so the guitarist got away with being a bit louder than usual on stage, which kind of enhances the rock angle for us. I used the house Orange Terror Bass and matching 4x10", and unusually the sound guy was happy to run a mic on the cab. I like to kick in some fuzz on a few tunes, and it works much better that way. After a couple of gigs in that venue I think this might be the first time I've figured out how to get a sound I'm happy with out of the Orange, by cranking the mid up a fair bit and turning the gain down so that it only breaks up a little. I would have preferred to bring my own amp, but the street the venue on is not the easiest spot for parking and access.
This was also the first time I've attempted backing vocals at a gig (with this band), and I've definitely got some work to do there, but it's fun to have a go at it...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1492252262' post='3278964']
Last night's gig was quite satisfying, in a band that we originally intended to be a bluesy trio but which is steadily drifting in a more rockish direction with a mixture of covers and originals. It's not a style I've done much of previously, but we're having fun and getting paid, so it's all good!
It was a decent sized room so the guitarist got away with being a bit louder than usual on stage, which kind of enhances the rock angle for us. I used the house Orange Terror Bass and matching 4x10", and unusually the sound guy was happy to run a mic on the cab. I like to kick in some fuzz on a few tunes, and it works much better that way. After a couple of gigs in that venue I think this might be the first time I've figured out how to get a sound I'm happy with out of the Orange, by cranking the mid up a fair bit and turning the gain down so that it only breaks up a little. I would have preferred to bring my own amp, but the street the venue on is not the easiest spot for parking and access.
This was also the first time I've attempted backing vocals at a gig (with this band), and I've definitely got some work to do there, but it's fun to have a go at it...
[/quote]

I have never ever been able to get a sound I'm happy with from that Orange rig... ever. And that stage is so sensitive to excessive volume and/or bass... I always take my 210 cab to put on top of their 410 and only use that. I still use what they have sometimes if it's not practical for me to bring my own stuff but I'm never as happy, and that's with the 'less busy onstage' bands (RATM and Urang Matang), with SBK having 3 guitarists.... forget it.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1492260935' post='3279073']
I have never ever been able to get a sound I'm happy with from that Orange rig... ever. And that stage is so sensitive to excessive volume and/or bass... I always take my 210 cab to put on top of their 410 and only use that. I still use what they have sometimes if it's not practical for me to bring my own stuff but I'm never as happy, and that's with the 'less busy onstage' bands (RATM and Urang Matang), with SBK having 3 guitarists.... forget it.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's an odd choice for a house rig really, since those heads distort so easily and have a baked-in tone that the controls can't do much about. The cab being down at floor level doesn't help either. I still feel like I'm fighting it a bit, but got it somewhere tolerable last night, and a small amount of preamp dirt seems to work OK for me in this band. We had the guitarists combo sitting on top of the (unplugged) house 4x12", which helped a bit to keep things clear and less muddy. The guitarist has been a pro sound guy in some good sized venues for years, so he's at least fairly good at not doing anything daft with his sound on stage even if he does like to turn up a bit! We're still at a volume level that I can just about manage with my GK MB200 and pair of 1x12"s, so while we're loud by my standards, we're probably not [i]that[/i] loud in the scheme of things.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1492261896' post='3279080']
Yeah, it's an odd choice for a house rig really, since those heads distort so easily and have a baked-in tone that the controls can't do much about. The cab being down at floor level doesn't help either. I still feel like I'm fighting it a bit, but got it somewhere tolerable last night, and a small amount of preamp dirt seems to work OK for me in this band. We had the guitarists combo sitting on top of the (unplugged) house 4x12", which helped a bit to keep things clear and less muddy. The guitarist has been a pro sound guy in some good sized venues for years, so he's at least fairly good at not doing anything daft with his sound on stage even if he does like to turn up a bit! We're still at a volume level that I can just about manage with my GK MB200 and pair of 1x12"s, so while we're loud by my standards, we're probably not [i]that[/i] loud in the scheme of things.
[/quote]

It sounds like a good setup.
I've given up insisting cutting lows and/or volume with this particular band... because it seems nothing is learnt and I get tired of repeating myself. So I'm looking at the IEM route.
It's doubly frustrating when you then play a gig somewhere where the sound guy forces us to keep a lower volume onstage and then afterwards they go "wow, it sounded so much better today, I loved it".
It gets three times frustrating when you then play the same 'problematic' stage with another band who is not particularly quiet either and everything sounds great...
Yeah, not very happy with this situation... I'd better shut up now :lol: