Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Good gig in Swindon last night, reasonable number there, good load in/out, the gig flew by, it was the usual length (2 1/2 hours minus the 15 minute break) but felt short. Back in Swindon tonight, quite a few at last night's gig told us they'd be at tonights as well.

Played a large hall with a traffic-light device and never set it off once! Peaks (on the vocals as far as I could tell) took it into the red, but never long enough for it to cut the power.

Then again, we were playing both kinds of music - country AND western! Cheesy pic courtesy of Mrs Axe:

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1492333199' post='3279410']
Continuing the theme of good gigs in Swindon, we rocked The Rolleston! A personal favourite show for me.

[attachment=243143:IMG_2030.JPG]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's a good gig, the Rally, we were there a month or two ago.

For anyone interested, we have just put up a complete recording of last night's gig on soundcloud, and intend to add future gigs there. We'll probably add some from the last few months as well when we (well, me in this instance!) have time.

https://soundcloud.com/finndave-1/tap-n-barrel-15042017

Last night double gig... first 2 sets with Radge Against The Machine (no prize for guessing what we play), and then 2 sets with Sea Bass Kid (which shares drummer and bass player with RATM).

Good fun. Especially the RATM one, there were a nice group of fans who really got into it. But something really odd happened:

During the RATM set, a drunk guy climbed onstage... singer handled him well, let him jump a bit and then his friend came to pull him out, no harm. A little while later, the same drunk gets his willy out and starts pissing on the floor in front of the stage. He was promptly kicked out... but wtf??? :blink:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1492368679' post='3279730']
During the RATM set, a drunk guy climbed onstage... singer handled him well, let him jump a bit and then his friend came to pull him out, no harm. A little while later, the same drunk gets his willy out and starts pissing on the floor in front of the stage. He was promptly kicked out... but wtf??? :blink:
[/quote]

Ooft! Was that Whistlebinkies? We've played there a few times in recent weeks, and it does seem to attract some boozy punters. This has good and bad sides, I guess.

Just home form second Swindon gig of the weekend. The gigs were a few hundred yards apart, but I've covered about 100 miles to play them! Fewer people at tonight's gig than last night's, but they all seemed to stay from beginning to end, which was good. That's it until the end of the month for us now.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1492372909' post='3279779']
Ooft! Was that Whistlebinkies? We've played there a few times in recent weeks, and it does seem to attract some boozy punters. This has good and bad sides, I guess.
[/quote]

Yup, good ol' Binkies.
We play there a lot and it definitely attracts a certain kind of clientele sometimes. We're used to the sound of smashed glass on the stone floor due to careless drinkers, but it's generally pretty harmless and fun. This was a first for me. A girl was talking to me about it afterwards and she added "and it was very small!!!" :lol: Not sure I am supposed to care :P
The bar staff was there quickly to mop. They're very good and very patient... I spoke to the waitress who dealt with it afterwards and it seems that whilst rare, it does happen sometimes.
I really don't understand how can anyone, drunk or not, think that's ok. No matter how drunk I've been I would have never done anything like it. I suspect an idiot after a few drinks is not just drunk, but a drunk idiot.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492357065' post='3279633']
For anyone interested, we have just put up a complete recording of last night's gig on soundcloud, and intend to add future gigs there. We'll probably add some from the last few months as well when we (well, me in this instance!) have time.

https://soundcloud.com/finndave-1/tap-n-barrel-15042017
[/quote]

Nice! Loved what I heard Dave.

I also love that there is still a local market for the genre on both sides of the pond.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1492724094' post='3282784']
Nice! Loved what I heard Dave.

I also love that there is still a local market for the genre on both sides of the pond.

Blue
[/quote]

Thanks, Blue, and I agree, it's good that this sort of music can still attract an audience, as I don't really want to play anything too different to this.

Really nice gig tonight. New venue for us.

Top notch operation.

We sent the sound engineer a stage plot earlier this week. On arival he introduced himself and he made sure he knew everyone's name in the band.

He knew our stage set up and got us set up on stage really quick.

Again top notch including a cool "green room " for the band.

The room was perfect for live bands and the sound and lighting was superb. The stage moniters were awesome. I could hear everything ctrydtal clear.

Great crowd with lots of dancing. Hope we can come back. The place is booked through 2017. They have bands on Friday & Saturday night.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1492846482' post='3283564']
Really nice gig tonight. New venue for us.

Top notch operation.

We sent the sound engineer a stage plot earlier this week. On arival he introduced himself and he made sure he knew everyone's name in the band.

He knew our stage set up and got us set up on stage really quick.

Again top notch including a cool "green room " for the band.

The room was perfect for live bands and the sound and lighting was superb. The stage moniters were awesome. I could hear everything ctrydtal clear.

Great crowd with lots of dancing. Hope we can come back. The place is booked through 2017. They have bands on Friday & Saturday night.

Blue
[/quote]

That's the sort of gig most of us Brit pub players can only dream of!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492851237' post='3283615']

That's the sort of gig most of us Brit pub players can only dream of!
[/quote]

It doesn't happen very often. I think it's the only club of it's kind in my area.Very well appointed for a club that doesn't book headliners.

Blue

Dep gig last night, it was a school ball at a posh golf-course but must've been for the staff rather than pupils.

The performance itself was good, fun songs and an enthusiastic audience, plus I hardly made any mistakes, which is good for how infrequently I play with them. However, there was a lot of waiting around - arrived at half six as had to be set-up by seven so the guests could use the room for dinner, then first set at nine. However, it obviously ran silly late and we didn't start until quarter past ten. So we cut a few songs, ditched the break and juat played through for an hour and a half.

I quite like playing without a break, but I never remember to bring enough water on stage with me.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1492936517' post='3284156']
So we cut a few songs, ditched the break and juat played through for an hour and a half.
I quite like playing without a break, but I never remember to bring enough water on stage with me.
[/quote]

I like the break but then our first half would be an hour and a half so it would work out the same!

Great gig in a new venue, short one for us as they had a strict 11pm cutoff, due to being a pub in a residential street, so we started at 8. Nice to be able to get home at midnight for a change. Great venue, not heaving as there were big events in the town last night, but paid well and they were very enthusiastic, great landlord and landlady, really into it, loads of people . Looking forward to going back.

A couple of gigs this weekend, and a lot of travelling.
First one, on Friday, was at a place I love in Kidderminster... all decorated pirate style... ran by a lovely couple and generally attended by nice people. Shame the place is closing in June :(
The gig itself was a lot of fun but there weren't as many people as we were hoping/expecting.
We got to stay overnight, thanks to the lovely couple letting us upstairs in a room with several sofa/mattresses which saves us a ton of cash. However between guitarist snoring like a monster and sax dude getting up to pee what seemed like every hour, I didn't get a whole lot of sleep... and the toilet had no water on the taps... so no shower etc... I managed to wash using a bottle of water I had... no ideal. I need my shower to be human again. I brushed my teeth in the mens toilets downstairs... but it had not been cleaned yet and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Oh well...

Next, saturday... playing a ska festival in Redcar. Some very lovely people, and some very scary looking one too. I don't know what it is with classic ska it tends to attract this crowd of 50 year olds in uniform, who just won't smile and stare menacingly. Weird. Then... nobody danced. Lots of people watching but just staring. A few smiled and bobbed their heads, but nobody danced except for a single woman in front of the very large stage. I was happy when it was over, which I rarely say.

The Boar's Head in Kidderminster, however... I have a lot of time/love for those guys. Such a nice music venue + pub... Sad it's going to close :(