Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

No probs Norris, had been meaning to catch your band for a while but my last band was very busy with not many weekends off. Trying to get to see a few bc'ers now during a quiet period before next major project kicks in. Sorry didnt make it to end but sounded very solid what I heard, all good musos but gtr/vox guy from MT's band must be great to have around.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1504473596' post='3365154']
No probs Norris, had been meaning to catch your band for a while but my last band was very busy with not many weekends off. Trying to get to see a few bc'ers now during a quiet period before next major project kicks in. Sorry didnt make it to end but sounded very solid what I heard, all good musos but gtr/vox guy from MT's band must be great to have around.
[/quote]

Yes he is quite handy :) I've been playing in bands with him for over 32 years now

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1503780012' post='3360906']
Played in Melksham, Wiltshire, last night. Good venue, very enthusiastic audience and decent management, an ideal gig but an hour and a half from home for me, which combined with a one AM finish made for a late night. Still, I was in my bed by 4 AM. It obviously went as well as I remember, as today we have been re-booked.
[/quote]

Nice to hear I'm not the only guy getting home from a gig at 3:00 and 4:00 in the morning.

Blue

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1503997403' post='3361960']
Weired, DJ was playing out on the terrace when we got there and never stopped playing when we struck up inside. Unfortunately it was a lovely evening and most people stayed outside. He also didn't want to pay us and said we had agreed to play for free until I showed him the email he sent agreeing £300.
Not sure we will go back.
[/quote]

Wonderful that you had that email.

Blue

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1504455640' post='3364979']
Good gig last night except for the twerkaholic dancer. Yep, she twerked along to a good slice of 70s rock :D[/quote]

Twerking, we had some young ladies twerking at a recent gig.

I'm 64, I remember commenting to our drummer;

"This is something I'm suppose to like, right?"

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504631955' post='3366232']
Twerking, we had some young ladies twerking at a recent gig.

I'm 64, I remember commenting to our drummer;

"This is something I'm suppose to like, right?"

Blue
[/quote]

Apparently so. I don't find it particularly attractive myself - even when a young lady is doing it, rather than the chunky middle aged woman we were subjected to

Got a text from a certain Oxford promoter who also has a band, 6 pm Sunday asking for bass at 8.30 for a private party at a community centre. It was mainly a space-rock/funky jam for about 35 minutes, mainly in E, purely winging it. The partygoers seemed happy enough and were all up and dancing. Weird though. Quoted "Good times" in the (unplanned) bass spot :) which kept me happy for a while.

(grin) Despite my asking among my farcebook friends if anyone wanted to join me on a regular basis, the local drums bass and guitar Mafia once again have arranged a couple of gigs for me - tickles me the way they discuss it all, book it and THEN tell me!

Last nights gig was me playing as part of that same Cambridge Mafia - two regular members were on holiday - so I got to do my usual stuff AND play elecrtic guitar for a couple of other acts!
A busy, fun evening and amazingly my wife decided to come too - probably the first time in ten years she has attended one og my gigs!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1504634137' post='3366256']

Apparently so. I don't find it particularly attractive myself - even when a young lady is doing it, rather than the chunky middle aged woman we were subjected to
[/quote]

In the States we have a Federal Law. No twerking if your over 40.

We enforce this law with a hefty fine, community service and in some extreme twerking judgements, jail time.

Blue

Played a club last night called T Chances in Tottenham with 3 other bands. The only problem was the mids were blown on the house PA and no monitors so the soundman and bands struggled with the vocals.

We all muddled through though and it panned out a decent night with a decent crowd who were dancing :)

Edited by Number6

James St Tavern just off the Cowley road, Oxford. Good, attentive audience, a couple of other decent acts, and we got paid. The Peavey p.a. was surprisingly good too. A nice evening all round.
3 gigs tonight... gulp!, at least it is 2 different bands in only 2 different venues.

Well, not a bad evening. Was playing as a duo at a community centre all day charity jobbie, but had a tabla player on board for the first two numbers and a flute player too, which all sounded lush. Then I played a 30 odd minute funky space jam with the same guys that called me up to dep last weekend, then a quick dash from Oxford to Drayton for D-fest to do the exact same thing again in a well organized pub garden event.
I found it pretty tedious, as it was a vehicle for guitar twiddlery, but at least got paid £40 for that particular 35 minutes work. Some of the audience said it was good, but I doubt I would have stayed if I were in their place...

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

I'm also just back from a 300 mile round trip wedding. This was the second wedding of the weekend with the last one tomorrow night.

The gig was good but it was the drive home that was really fun. I recently had a midlife crisis and bought a VW Scirocco R. I can still get my gear and the guitarists, and the guitarist along with clothes, supplies etc inside it. Unbelievably fast. I've never owned anything even close to this before.

I always used to say that when I stopped gigging I'd buy myself something silly as I've always had to have big cars to carry 4x10" etc but thanks to class D amps and Barefaced I can enjoy it now while I am still gigging :D

One of our regular public venues last night, was a bit of a surprise when we arrived and found they'd removed the stage, however there was a lot more room in the space we set-up in though, so a good change I think.

It was a very good gig overall, with people dancing from the first song. I'm very happy with my new set-up - no amp on stage, just DI through my EBS Microbass.

As with the last couple of gigs at this venue we dropped the break, and as we got such a good response to soundcheck we just started. As a result we played for nearly three hours straight (so getting closer to Blue's sets), including two genuine encores.

Tiring night, but it was cracking.

Interesting gig last night, first time playing at a pub in Buckie, all the gear sorted out ready to go through when our lead guitarist turns up drunk. He somehow manages to blag his way through the entire gig without making any major cock ups. Tried a lot of new songs and they all went down a treat. Was any typical pub gig, a lot of drunk people falling around, onto one of our stage monitors completely breaking the cable, so that will need replacing. All in all aside from all the small annoyances it was a solid good gig and I had a great time. And landlord wanted our availability for all of next year.

Played Orrell live yesterday a local last night of the proms event which finishes with a brass band doing land of hope and glory etc,

We were on at 430 which turned out to be a great slot in between Nathan Moore ex brother beyond and the remaining members of S Club 7 now quaintly renamed S Club party

We were the only full band on so had a great time with the engineers who were excellent so nice to have a big stage to move around on crowd numbering around 2000 we managed to get lots of people down to the front in party mood and dancing played really well did a good one hour set great sound and audience reaction.

Used the jake I have for sale on here as my other one has developed an electrical issue that I didn't have time to fix now thinking about the wisdom of selling it as it sounded great.

Think next weeks pub gig might be a bit of a struggle hahahahaha

Played at a local working mens club. Its normally pretty dead, but there were other gigs on that weekend so we were expecting deader than dead, so it came as a surprise to find out that it was actually pretty crowded. I played my new iceman and it was noticed by several people who had never noticed the bass before.
First half the guitarist threatened to deck the drummer because he was laughing, and thought he was lauging it him, rather than the drunk guy trying to undress in the audience while his wife tried to dress him again. Second half drunk guy had a swing at another drunk guy but it was quickly calmed down, after which we played saturdays alright for fighting, which we weren't really ready to do but it seemed appropriate. Turned out to be a good night. As I was getting to leave someone said that the aformentioned drunk guy and his wife needed a lift home because they couldn't get a taxi.. Hmm.. yes, take punchy drunk guy in my car to throw up all over it as a favour? Maybe not :D