Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played at the Reload festival in Norwich yesterday.
Good lineup of mainly 80's-ish bands, including the Gibson Brothers, Jocelyn Brown, Aswad, Blue and Billy Ocean.
We were sandwiched between The Christians , who were just amazing, and Odyssey, who were also brilliant.
The weather was a bit autumnal with a strong wind not helping, but the sound onstage (and off ) was fantastic.
Our band went down well, with lots of audience participation and cheering. A really enjoyable gig.
The organisation of the event was also top notch, the crew and everyone involved being helpful and upbeat.
Even the catering was excellent too! All in all a great event which we hope we are involved in again.

First gig in 9 months for us, due to singer going on maternity leave, and tot he process of replacing our previous drummer. Post-wedding party at the Traquair village hall, in the Borders not far from Peebles. Lovely little venue, with a sizeable stage and good acoustics. The crowd was also very enthusiastic, danced all night to everything we played.

[url="https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YIY11O7N25okVoVY4CODStEK4bjhIGbGjw"]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YIY11O7N25okVoVY4CODStEK4bjhIGbGjw[/url]

First proper gig with the PJB suitcase and extension cab. Loved it with the electric bass, but the DB had sound problems of its own. Couldn't get it loud enough on stage, and never had enough time to sort the sound out properly before we had to start. Methinks it's time for a simpler solution - who needs faithful reproduction of the acoustic sound anyway? :)

A couple of festivals - brilliant on Friday night, ace sound, great venue, great audience. Saturday night was a similar sized affair but the stage was tiny, I managed to whack my head on the lights a few times, only the kick drum was mic'd up on the kit but even that wasn't cutting through... still, appreciate little audience and I got to see Lozz's band Knock Off play their last few songs - Tight as can be and a brilliant sound from them (they were on a different stage)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently joined the live band of a teenage singer/songwriter. She usually performs solo, but she recorder her debut EP recently and wanted to present it with a backing band. She's only 16 and sings incredibly, writes good songs too.

The gig was fun. I double her in age, not so much the drummer and guitar player, but we got along very good. Actually, I had a very good time. It was a nice contrast to the bitterness on my goth band. Just straight joy for music. Also playing with dynamics instead of trying to bring down the house :P

It was nice to see they have a MB200 head at the venue, same as I normally use. They also had a 4x10 with some EV on the bottom. Lots of lows, very nice sound- nothing that normally happens to me. There was a hiss on my bass (Cort B4) when using the preamp- went away just by switching it off (battery? maybe). Missed a fair amount of notes, but kept a straight face.

Hope to do it again soon.

Edited by hrnn1234

Out of hospital late Tuesday and discovered that this weekends "auto-booking gig" is apparently with another bass player and an accordionist, plus maybe a drummer. Tiny pub in Cambridge called The Elm Tree. Guess we will be going all New Orleans-y - I only do that occajunally.

Odd one for me, fifth gig I have played but the first where a lot of friends and family were present (including one of the esteemed members off of here). I didn't feel nervous at all as I usually don't, but my fingers seem to turn to lead as soon as we started playing, my technique was not the best so I went back to basics (changed to single finger plucking). This want helped by a female colleague and friend dancing like a complete idiot trying to put me off about 6 feet away (thanks). By a few songs in I had settled and it began to come back, by the end of the first set I was back to my usual self and absolutely loving it. The second set was a blur but went really well. One song in the first set needs work as a group but not sure if anyone else noticed.

This was on the back of a bad week for all of us (we all work together) and a truly horrendous week for one of the band. It was the perfect ending to the week but did mess up rehearsals.

Looks like we have been booked for a Christmas doo off the back of it as well so happy days!

Small audience. Broke my strap. For some reason everything sounds muddy there. And TBH I'm peeved with the singer; if he wants to call me a faggot, he should do that, not hint and weasel. Not much fun, really.

(Apologies for the language, but I can't really get the sense of it over any other way.)

Had a great one last weekend that I thought was going to be terrible. A farm down in devon, with the sat nav directing down smaller and smaller roads, the ones with grass in the middle, no room for more than one car and no place to pass without reversing ¼ of a mile. Got there, in the pissing rain and we are setting up on the back of a farm trailer in the back of the barn. The barn is relatively dry, but water pouring in on the down slope side to the point it is actually deap. The next barn had an impromptu bar in it, and there is a whole pig going round on a spit. Freezing cold. The farmer is saying oh yes, about 100 people are coming. Yeh right.

Well, as it got nearer start time, it seemed that probably at least 100 came, and from the time we started to the time we finished, a lot of people danced, towards the end it seemed like everyone. Was a great night. So cold though, glad I had the silk gloves!

Fun gig with the "Radge Against the Machine" band... we don't gig often but when we do I loooove it. People go crazy. I'm glad I'm 1.5m above the crowd safe on my stage and not in the mosh pit 'though :lol: I think security guys hate us when we play there...

From a bass playing point of view... I love getting to use different overdrives, wah, octave and phaser effects :)

Equinox festival near Grimsby yesterday, took forever to get there, lovely site and they had an ampeg svt with 4x10 and 1x15 as supplied backline :)with sound engineers on stage and out front it was gonna be a fun one.
Didn't drop any massive clangers and thought my yammy bb414 sounded awesome through it :) great chippy in some little town near Lincoln on way home too. Next stop "something else in the dean" Saturday week.

I played a 45 minute set with The Daz Kelly Band at the Duffield Arts Festival yesterday. It was my first live performance since July, when I last played with 5 Hills Out.
Yesterday I took my Yamaha Bex 4 and played it through my Roland cube 100, which was mic'd up.
There was a good sound engineer, who told me he was going to be on duty all of both days of the festival.
I made sure I gave him a good shoutout from the stage. I didn't buy him a beer until after our set though 😉

Also in attendance was one of our newer members, Flaxholme Lis, who lives just down the road from the venue and came on her push-bike. Rock n' Roll!

Edited by Len_derby

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A great night playing the beer festival yesterday. Apparently 600 people went, great sound, stage, set up and beer. A little sad that one band had a veiled pop at us for being a tribute act (probably the worst band to pick on as collectively we all have around 30yrs experience of playing original music worldwide each). Amusing too playing locally to where I work; I'm onstage throwing slightly drunken rock star shapes and I get approached by a young woman who asks me "did you sit on a young persons strategy board the other week?" Rock on![/font][/color]

Three gigs in 4 days, but one was on guitar – so we won’t talk about that ;)

Part 1. Friday. Pub in Wimbledon, covers. Essentially this is a work band that’s got out of hand. We formed to play a work do, but then the vocalist was offered a gig at a pub he’d played at before, we were all up for it, so that meant having to learn another hours’ worth of material. Fortunately we can rehearse for free at work. At the gig songs from 90’s student bands, tended to get the whole place going. My rig was Shuker – Xvive U2 wireless – Digitech BP350 – Tec Amp Puma 500 – Tech Sound Systems 2x12 (custom speakers). A lot of the time fx unit was in bypass mode, with the amp settings flat. Big sound, worked well as a 3 piece band (+ vocalist). I kicked on the fx when I needed some chorus or distortion. We went down well, the pub increased their usual bar take, and further gigs have been booked.

Part 2. Monday. Metal gig north London, originals. You know the kind of thing, 3 bands on a Monday night, and you all play to each other ;) Nah tbf there was a small, but select, audience. Backline was provided, but I just DI’d from the Digitech. The monitor on my side of the stage was the clankiest POS ever. During the first song I went in to the crowd and to the back, to make sure the FOH sound wasn’t as bad, fortunately it sounded ok. Couldn’t really do anything about the monitor sound, as it was a quick line check then on, so just had to live with it. We were on first, and I saw the second band. Didn’t see the third which I feel bad about, but I wanted to leave before the Arsenal crowd kicked out and filled the tubes.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506836155' post='3381361']
just played an outdoor music festival,my first gig since 1994.

Played through a beat up GK400rb and MM 412 cab

best tone I ever played with

people said the rhythm section kicked butt, and you know what? they were right. Not one fluffed note,a first for me hehe
[/quote]

The GK400rb is a tried and true work horse. It's a fantastic amp. Wish I had a couple of them.

Blue

We had great gig last night (Saturday) at a village pub in Buckinghamshire. Our first time there, but unlikely to be our last! Went down a storm, played 3 hours in 2 sets with a 15 min break and they still wanted more! Bonus for me was that a bunch of my biker mates that I've not seen for a while came along and were really enthusiastic. I use my Epi Thunderbird, Rootmaster 800 head into Barefaced Super Compact, a good punchy set up that takes up very little space.

Last night was a welcome contrast to the night before, where we played to an almost empty pub on the edge of a town in Wiltshire and the landlady was trying to pick a fight with the band!

Poorly attended gig last night, about 20 punters in the venue.
Owner said it looked like it could be a poor night, advised us to start earlier so we could finish earlier.
Stopped playing at 11pm and stripping down the PA etc, sods law, a party of 12 people turned up.
Oh well, we call these ones paid rehearsals.

Edited by steantval

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506843719' post='3381393']
yeah Blue they sure have been used on a lot of gigs. I think they came out in the early 90s?

I need to buy one.

FinnDave that sounds awesome , the second gig that is :)

Man you work hard, 3 hours with 15 mins break? wow that is impressive.
[/quote]

We were exorcising the demons from friday night's gig! Last night they were still calling for more but we simply couldn't play any longer! It was a slow load out and I only unloaded the heavy stuff this morning.

Good night last night - one of those pubs where sometimes it is dead and sometimes it is heaving. It was about half way but the people were there to have a good time.

Although why do some blokes come right up to you and hold their hands out and just stand there staring at you? Do they want a hug or something?

"Something else in the dean" festival at elton mazes last night, 'twas tipping down, the site was getting swampy and I only remembered I was wearing trainers about halfway there.
Solar powered stage so we dispensed with backline and di'd everything straight through.
It sounded pretty good :)
Fair crowd rammed under the shelter of the stage which was in the middle of the corn field.
I did fluff the intro to the set tho which was a tad embarrassing, and somehow played wrong the guitar chords during one of our oldest songs.
Our singer, bless him said to the crowd " did you like Tonys bit of jazz fusion on that one " :)