Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Friday at The Fountain in Chichester. Went pretty well considering the band haven't even been in the same room for the last 3 months, what with other commitments etc (!) After 15 odd years of playing together, we know each other pretty well and the friendly crowd was behind us.

We do quite a lot of Grateful Dead/Little Feat/Allman Bros type stuff, and it was nice see people getting off on the jams.

Railway in Bognor Regis tonight with a jazzy/acoustic trio, and I'm right up for it... :)

Second Time Around played the Cricketers in Rowtown, Addlestone near Woking last night. Appreciative crowd, happy landlord and some return dates.

After the sound problems at the last two gigs (see Gramma Pad thread) we seem to have found a very acceptable solution to bass boominess and overall balance.

1. Bass amp on Gramma pad to isolate from the floor.

2. Both guitars now on opposite side of drums to me.

3. Both guitar amps (Marshall 2x12s) on castors and not sat directly on the floor.

As a result nobody was fighting to hear themselves and the overall sound level was lower and better balanced. I found I was playing at a lower amp setting but still able to hear myself very clearly even though I have a significant hearing deficit. The wired in-ear system stayed in the gig-bag. I must try and record the next gig in Guildford on December 8th just to be absolutely sure that it sounds OK out front.

Saturday night at the Fleece in Bristol... always a good night there, but the placed was absolutely rammed to the rafters last night... they hit the fire limit and were turning people away by 9 o'clock. Support from a very good covers band The Collective, nice guys and some unusual covers well played. We had one or two new tunes in our set, seemed to go down well. Crowd were in good voice, brilliant atmosphere and god it was hot! Too funky in heeyar..! A great night.
Bassist's eye view of the punters:

[quote name='Rich' post='86873' date='Nov 11 2007, 02:25 PM']Saturday night at the Fleece in Bristol... always a good night there, but the placed was absolutely rammed to the rafters last night... they hit the fire limit and were turning people away by 9 o'clock. Support from a very good covers band The Collective, nice guys and some unusual covers well played. We had one or two new tunes in our set, seemed to go down well. Crowd were in good voice, brilliant atmosphere and god it was hot! Too funky in heeyar..! A great night.
[/quote]

Were you playing YMCA at the time? :huh:

My gig last night was cancelled at our end, which is a shame cos the Bear and Raggard Staff is a cool venue, doesn't look like we'll be welcomed back there anytime soon though :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='84939' date='Nov 7 2007, 02:47 PM']I must admit, I do actually struggle to hear the bass more and more and we don't usually use monitors. A few people have suggested maybe looking at the Epifani 3 x 10 or the Schroeder will will apparently give more support to the bass player and allow me to hear myself better. Any ideas on this?[/quote]

Before the highly audible Schroeder 1212L arrived to transform my life ... I used to make sure the 2K slider was up highish on the bass amp - whatever rig I was using. That means I can hear it OK.
You may like to try that but yes, the Schroeder is very easy to hear - scarily easy... it's driven me back to lessons to sort out a few problems that, beforehand, only me and my bass were aware of .. now the whole world can hear them :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Rich' post='86873' date='Nov 11 2007, 02:25 PM']Saturday night at the Fleece in Bristol... always a good night there, but the placed was absolutely rammed to the rafters last night... they hit the fire limit and were turning people away by 9 o'clock. Support from a very good covers band The Collective, nice guys and some unusual covers well played. We had one or two new tunes in our set, seemed to go down well. Crowd were in good voice, brilliant atmosphere and god it was hot! Too funky in heeyar..! A great night.
[/quote]

Oh I remember that view :)

Is that one time Soul Destroyers lead girly vocalist Miss Sally Vate there in the front with the black t shirt and watch?

Had an impromptu gig with the two guitarists from my blues band last night in the White Hart at Witley near Guildford. Just three voices, a Fylde Mandolin, a Lowden acoustic and my Martin acoustic bass. No drums, no amps, no keys, no mikes.

We played for about two hours and just reeled out loads of stuff (we know a lot of material - we've been playing together on and off for over 20 years!). Was a great time.

And in tribute to Rich's post above, here's a bassist's eye of what's in front of me at most gigs with my other band...

Cheers all

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Not a gig but a first rehearsal for 6 months. Been together for 2 years now and we've never had a rehearsal like it, everyone was enjoying it, played and wrote for three and a half hours non-stop and even waited until after to go the kebab shop! First gig for 6 months is in two days and I absolutely cannot wait.

• Like 1

Also not a gig, but a jam session - first time I've turned up with an Ashbory.

Initial response from other bassists present = "Excellent! Wanted to try one of those for years."
Initial response from drummers present = "WTF is that?"
Initial response from guitarists present = "You cannot be serious. You can't turn up here and play a toy."

Subsequent response from all = My Ashbory has now been re-named "Jack's Tardis bass".

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I had one of those gigs where i felt like chucking my bass out of the car window on the way home.
i've played the songs dozens of times but it was fumble here fumble there. starting when i should'nt have,absolute crap. we played on kind of verandah the guitarist had all the room the other end and i was stuck up against PA speakers almost sitting on my rig. almost hit singer a couple of times. i'll get him next time :). and if we had'nt brought people with us there would have been no one there. but the guy has booked again and said it's bit to near xmas and poeple are saving their money. he also said he would lay on free mini bus so we could bring punters next time.

Nice one Nik. I must get to see you one day, and may even have another go at getting a gig at the Elms. Been told its got a bit more rocky recently. We did it a couple or three years ago just prior to Christmas to the PRS man checking up on their licence and what we played . Nightmare :)

Just back from a killer night at The Fountain in Chi (always a good crowd singing along there). And the landlord was so happy ('cos he was busier than the Slug & Lettuce next door all night he reckoned) he upped the cash completely unprompted :huh: I wish they could all be like tonight!!!! Decent landlord, noisy crowd - including some loverly ladeez - MARVELLOUS :huh:

• Like 1

Gig at the Travellers arms in Stanley near Wakefield,played 1st 2 numbers on the 9,just to give it a live airing....switched to my 5 for the rest of the gig,weird acoustics in that place,they enjoyed it...1st gig wearing contacts..nice to see again from the stages edge.

"Boys of summer" REALLY went down well,not bad after 1 rehearsal.

• Like 1

Played at the Wagon in Wix (North Essex) last night. It was the first outing for my new Yamaha RBX JM2 and all went well despite the band members having colds (me and the guitarist) or recovering from (real) flu (Drummer) or nursing a very sore throat (singer).

The crowd enjoyed it as did the Landlord who has rebooked us for next year. Result!!!!!

N

• Like 1

[quote name='beerdragon' post='97472' date='Dec 2 2007, 12:24 AM']I had one of those gigs where i felt like chucking my bass out of the car window on the way home.
i've played the songs dozens of times but it was fumble here fumble there. starting when i should'nt have,absolute crap. we played on kind of verandah the guitarist had all the room the other end and i was stuck up against PA speakers almost sitting on my rig. almost hit singer a couple of times. i'll get him next time :huh:. and if we had'nt brought people with us there would have been no one there. but the guy has booked again and said it's bit to near xmas and poeple are saving their money. he also said he would lay on free mini bus so we could bring punters next time.[/quote]

ha ha maybe you should play like that all the time if that happened:)
Sounds like a roaring success given the limitations. When the booker books you again thats a hit and when the offer to lay on a bus for your mates that's an outstanding success :)

• Like 1

[quote name='WalMan' post='97489' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:00 AM']Nice one Nik. I must get to see you one day, and may even have another go at getting a gig at the Elms. Been told its got a bit more rocky recently. We did it a couple or three years ago just prior to Christmas to the PRS man checking up on their licence and what we played . Nightmare :)

Just back from a killer night at The Fountain in Chi (always a good crowd singing along there). And the landlord was so happy ('cos he was busier than the Slug & Lettuce next door all night he reckoned) he upped the cash completely unprompted :huh: I wish they could all be like tonight!!!! Decent landlord, noisy crowd - including some loverly ladeez - MARVELLOUS :huh:[/quote]
Hi Al,

Great to be given some respect by the landlord like that! Thoroughly deserved I'm sure... Regarding gigs, you guys and Tony, our guitarist who books all of our gigs, should have a chat about different venues etc..

See you soon,

Nik

• Like 1

We were at The Black Bull in Preston town centre and it was packed to the rafters There was a really good atmosphere and we went down a storm which is just as well as we nearly had to call it off at the last minute - singer had a temperature and sore throat, drummer chucked up twice before we went on. Lot of bugs going around up here.

• Like 1

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='97751' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:50 PM']We were at The Black Bull in Preston town centre and it was packed to the rafters There was a really good atmosphere and we went down a storm which is just as well as we nearly had to call it off at the last minute - singer had a temperature and sore throat, drummer chucked up twice before we went on. Lot of bugs going around up here.[/quote]

There you go Homer - two weeks ago you were threatening to chuck it all in due to half empty venues and unappreciative punters :)

P

• Like 1

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='97751' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:50 PM']We were at The Black Bull in Preston town centre and it was packed to the rafters There was a really good atmosphere and we went down a storm which is just as well as we nearly had to call it off at the last minute - singer had a temperature and sore throat, drummer chucked up twice before we went on. Lot of bugs going around up here.[/quote]

I wish we'd come there, ended up at the Hop Pocket altough only stayed a short time as they had on the worst Elvis tribute ever!!! lol Good band on there next week though :)

• Like 1