Why become a member? ×

Lights were on

bass_ferret

My 7 year old is heavily into McFly at the moment so I am not unfamiliar with their stuff. Am I the only one who thinks that sound more than a little like the Bay City Rollers? (who were popular with 7 year olds 30 years ago)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='83830' date='Nov 5 2007, 07:47 AM']A Stingray, isn't it?

Guy Pratt in his book admits to having been their studio bassist...[/quote]

so who plays bass when they're on the road then? is there someone behind the stage playing or is it a tape?

Funny how the lights weren't on on the amp...

have you noticed how many of these "acts" state on the tickets (and other promotional material for the "shows") "performing their hits" or similar wording... never "playing their hits"... wonder why?

I hate miming...

Yep, my mate's band supported Busted once and saw exactly that happening.

As for McFly, I'm embarrassed to admit to auditioning for them. Well, it was an open audition with no band name mentioned so I popped along, thought "ug, pretty boys" and played [i]terribly[/i] for 30 seconds (some people got less than that!). Needless to say 6 months later I spat out my coffee when I saw them on TotP for the first time. Close shave.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='83729' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:36 PM']Anyone see McFly tonight on the dance show. Nice LED job on the bass boys Ray but mysteriously no lights at all on the Ashdown stack behing him :)[/quote]

Probably SimS again!!

Ciao

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='90900' date='Nov 19 2007, 03:54 PM']So is there a whole band playing behind the stage cloth? I'm intrigued now.[/quote]

MB1. :)

The Band behind the stage cloth are all over 22 years of age, and are visually unpleasant on the eye ,and somewhat frightening to prepubescent young ladies!...............a bit like Mick Hucknall I think!

[quote name='bass_ferret' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:36 PM' post='83729']
Anyone see McFly tonight on the dance show. Nice LED job on the bass boys Ray but mysteriously no lights at all on the Ashdown stack behing him :huh:

MB1. :)

Youre not supposed to notice this! Your supposed to be so visually blown away by the pretty lights on the stingray that you dont notice the bassist isnt actually plugged in or indeed playing anything on it!.This however does not work with musicians,bassists or anyone over the age of sixteen!.

MARTIN SIM....Go and stand in the corner,facing the wall, and no dinner for you laddie!. :huh:

[quote name='BeLow' post='91996' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:14 AM']Was just thinking they could have it all coming back through the monitors, then sticking amps on stage so it didn't look like they were miming.

Perhaps they ought to power up the amps next time though![/quote]

Or at least load up a few washing machines...

[quote name='NJW' post='91956' date='Nov 21 2007, 04:22 AM']Im sorry to spoil the fun...

I worked on crew for a McFly concert and there were no additional musicians... and they were quite good! They had a lot of dummy amps though, but they do play live (perhaps not on telly though!).[/quote]

it did surprise me to hear suggestions that McFly might be miming, as the bassist looks like he's playing the right notes-
however, the guy in Busted made it look like he had some very strange tuning on his bass....

[quote name='NJW' post='91956' date='Nov 21 2007, 04:22 AM']Im sorry to spoil the fun... I worked on crew for a McFly concert and there were no additional musicians... and they were quite good! They had a lot of dummy amps though, but they do play live (perhaps not on telly though!).[/quote]
Spoilsport! I had visions of some old duffers knocking out the tunes from a pit under the stage.