Why become a member? ×

Gramma Pads

obbm

I've hit a real problem at the last two gigs.

1. The lead guitarist has started using a Marshall Amp with his 2x12 cab sat on the floor instead of his usual Fender.
2. They've both been on hollow stages.

Result is that I keep being blamed for the sound being too bassy even though I'm running the amp flat, the DJ4 biased well back to the bridge pick-up, the bass wound down on the J-Retro and a slight mid boost.

I stood out front during sound check yesterday and the Marshall was just so muddy it drowned out any bass. In order keep my house in order I think I need to isolate my bass cab from the stage.

I think that a Gramma pad is the answer. Anybody use one and where is the best place to buy?

Failing that I'll use my in-ear monitors and turn the amp right down so there is no bass guitar and see if people still complain.

I've not used one but the idea appeals, especially as I'm starting to think I have a similar problem in my band.

I'm not sure from the Auralex site whether the top board is carpeted foam or carpeted wood, if it's the latter then as an alternative to the Gramma platform you can buy the Auralex "Platfoam feet" separately and make your own board custom sized for your cab. It should work out cheaper too, the Platfoam (as well as the Gramma) are available here:

[url="http://www.studiospares.com/pd_461330_AURXPLATFOAM%20x1%20PIECE.htm#"]http://www.studiospares.com/pd_461330_AURX...x1%20PIECE.htm#[/url]

Regards,
Steve.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='83962' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:48 PM']I've not used one but the idea appeals, especially as I'm starting to think I have a similar problem in my band.

I'm not sure from the Auralex site whether the top board is carpeted foam or carpeted wood, if it's the latter then as an alternative to the Gramma platform you can buy the Auralex "Platfoam feet" separately and make your own board custom sized for your cab. It should work out cheaper too, the Platfoam (as well as the Gramma) are available here:

[url="http://www.studiospares.com/pd_461330_AURXPLATFOAM%20x1%20PIECE.htm#"][url="http://www.studiospares.com/pd_461330_AURX...x1%20PIECE.htm#"]http://www.studiospares.com/pd_461330_AURX...x1%20PIECE.htm#[/url][/url]

Regards,
Steve.[/quote]

I bit the bullet and order one this morning as Studiospares seem to be the best price I could find. When I get it I'll let you know how it's made.

I would have to say it's this kind of situation that makes me get militant.

Clearly the problem was the guitarists new amps, but the bass player gets blamed and worse, feels the need to go spend hard earned wad on something he didn't need.

Dunno how many gigs you've done as a band but if it's more than a couple you should have just pointed out that your bass wasn't an issue at those gigs and that they should perhpas consider the possibility that it's the Marshall's that are the problem.

Anyway, who's up for us bass players going on strike every time a guitarist is the cause of a problem in a live situation? We could have a number to call and we'll just collectively down-tools in the middle of our Saturday night gigs at stadiums, constitutional clubs and pub back rooms.

Dave, I've been using one for some time, now, and I must say I haven't had a problem with hollow stages and boominess(?) I used to get a few problems from time to time but I have changed cabs a few times since and I no longer play with one of "those" guitarists, so I dont know how much is attributable to the Gramma. Its a useful comfort blanket, though! Btw the top is carpeted wood, and the underside is a high density foam like this.

Cheers

Andy

I've had similar experiences sometimes - I usually just stop playing in the soundcheck, to make it obvious that the problem isn't (only) the bass. I also ask everyone to take a bit of "low" off their amp - an attempt to get everyone involved in solving the problem rather than complaining. Doesn't usually work, obviously. I've learned that some musicians actually expect to hear themselves "above" the band - violdin players as well as gitartists.

I've been told a few times that the gamma things help a lot in boomy places - its just another option for those tricky places?

Good luck

BB

Thanks Andy, it'll be interesting to hear how it works.

The last two gigs have been at venues where we'd played before with no problems even though they have hollow stages. The only difference has been an open-backed Fender 1 x 12 combo + 1x12 extension cab v. a closed back Marshall 2x12, both sitting on the floor.

Hopefully I will be armed with my Gramma and my in-ears for next weekend, where I know there is a hollow stage. I will put the amp on the Gramma, plug-in the monitoring and turn the bass level down until it's inaudible and wait.

Hi Dave, be intrested to see what happens on Sat at the gig, I will make sure I take the Marshall although it will by then be on wheels so that may make a difference. :huh: I could always take the Fender as well and use one for the first half and the other for the second half?

As for the shoot the guitarist brigade, I am also a Bass player and have every right to blame guitarist as well, I know what that lot are like! :)

By the way, the PA desk appears to be still functioning even after it vibrated off the top of the Bass Amp, guess that might have been transference from my Marshall, anyong got any thoughts on that? :huh:

Looking forward to Saturday, lets hope some of the people from Basschat can attend to see the experiment!

[quote name='obbm' post='83855' date='Nov 5 2007, 09:10 AM']I've hit a real problem at the last two gigs.

1. The lead guitarist has started using a Marshall Amp with his 2x12 cab sat on the floor instead of his usual Fender.
2. They've both been on hollow stages.

Result is that I keep being blamed for the sound being too bassy even though I'm running the amp flat, the DJ4 biased well back to the bridge pick-up, the bass wound down on the J-Retro and a slight mid boost.

I stood out front during sound check yesterday and the Marshall was just so muddy it drowned out any bass. In order keep my house in order I think I need to isolate my bass cab from the stage.

I think that a Gramma pad is the answer. Anybody use one and where is the best place to buy?

Failing that I'll use my in-ear monitors and turn the amp right down so there is no bass guitar and see if people still complain.[/quote]
Why should you turn down for the guitarist? Tell him to get his Fender back in. Also, Guitar players love trying to have a full range of frequencies, I think the Gamma pad was more designed for them first than bassists.

A good thread to read as last night I came close to murdering the bandleader who who was using a semi acoustic jazz guitar with more low end than you would believe. Sounded great on its own but there was no point in me being there. I mimed a few bars and no-one noticed! That combined with a drummer who seemed to think he had to play [i]exactly[/i] what I was playing at all times, making nothing groove, led to a less than fun night.

As for isolation, those foam sheets with the push out sections that come in camera cases, etc are sometimes a good cheap solution. I use a couple under the legs of my Wav EUB to make life for the people downstairs more tolerable :)

Cheers,
Alun

• 2 weeks later...