Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz V deluxe

machinehead

I've been looking at a USA jazz deluxe 5 string and I'm thinking of buying. It's a bit knackered. jack is cutting out, pots noisy but the main worry is that one of the pair of mother of pearl dot markers on the 12th fret is missing.

Can these be bought anywhere? All help appreciated.

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='83949' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:11 PM']I've been looking at a USA jazz deluxe 5 string and I'm thinking of buying. It's a bit knackered. jack is cutting out, pots noisy but the main worry is that one of the pair of mother of pearl dot markers on the 12th fret is missing.

Can these be bought anywhere? All help appreciated.

Frank[/quote]

Generally only available in whole sets:

[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Hardware___Parts/Inlays"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Hardware___Parts/Inlays[/url]
[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/catalogue/index.php?cPath=91007_91072"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/catalogue/index...ath=91007_91072[/url]

And probably lots of other places.

Noisy pots and intermittent jack are nothing to worry about. Provided it's structurally sound (i.e. missing dot isn;t result of it being dropped froma great height) and you can get a good deal on it, then go for it. I think US Deluxe jazz Vs are great basses, especially if you drop one of [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3D.htm"]these[/url] in it.

Edited by bassbloke

Thanks for the help .

I'm not too worried about the electrical side - I'm an electrical engineer so I can sort that out.

Was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to get the marker replaced at all and I don't fancy owning it with the marker missing. Gives it a scrappy look to my eyes.

I think I'll probably go for this bass and get the repairs sorted.

Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable price?

Comes with a fender hardcase with the two lockable catches which have been forced open and needing replaced as well. It's the older model with 5 tuners on the top of the headstock, 3 colour sunburst, rosewood, a few dings but nothing too serious.

Thanks again.

Frank

What year is it? Does it have the Gotoh tuners or the Fender-badged Schaller lightweight tuners.

I would say a reasonable price for, say, a 1996-1999 model in good condition would be around £500 - £550. I'd expect to knck seller down £50 because of the poor condition. Add £100 for a newer, up to 2002 model.

Thanks bassbloke.

I checked it for only 10mins but I think it has the Fender tuners.

Do you know the years these style of basses were made?

It's 5 in-line tuners, 3 colour sunburst, active, rosewood fretboard, don't know the body wood, has a cover over the neck pup only.

Any information gratefully received.

Frank

[quote name='neepheid' post='84841' date='Nov 7 2007, 11:37 AM']I'm talking rubbish - you can get singles here in all manner of diameters:

[url="http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/Inlay-Dots/White-Mother-of-Pearl-Dots/p-118-439/"][url="http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/In...Dots/p-118-439/"]http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/In...Dots/p-118-439/[/url][/url][/quote]

Thanks for that mate.

I've actually gone ahead and bought this bass. Should work out all right. Got a bit off the price to allow for repairs.

I'd still be interested to hear peoples views on value. Bass is similar to two that were for sale on here earlier in the year at £500 I think. With the repairs it should end up costing me something similar but it comes with a Fender hardcase.

Frank

Looks like it's a 1998 DN 8*****.

Needs new strings, new jack (haven't looked yet, might be only a loose wire which I can easily solder) and a littel TLC.

Bottom pot (mid?) is noisy so might replace one or all pots.

I also have an Aguilar OBM 1 somewhere which could be interesting to try.

All in all, a very nice bass.

Thanks for all your advice.

Frank

Needs new strings, new jack (haven't looked yet, might be only a loose wire which I can easily solder) and a littel TLC.

Frank

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='85816' date='Nov 9 2007, 10:25 AM']Looks like it's a 1998 DN 8*****.

Frank[/quote]

So it has the large single slug pole pieces? I've found the stock preamp really doesn't do that bass justice. The OBP(?)-1 or an Audere or J-Retro will make a huge difference.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='86346' date='Nov 10 2007, 12:36 AM']So it has the large single slug pole pieces? I've found the stock preamp really doesn't do that bass justice. The OBP(?)-1 or an Audere or J-Retro will make a huge difference.[/quote]

I agree.

Although the strings are dead (I'll change them next week) I detect that the preamp is weedy sounding. Lacking punch. I have a U - retro in another bass and the difference is massive. I think I'll try putting in the OBP-1 and see if that improves matters.

Now that I've got this and had a little time to fiddle around with it , here's a bit more accurate information.

Yes, it has the large single pole pieces in the pickups.

The tuners are actually a mix - strings E, D & A are Schaller, strings E and low B are indentical but badged "F". I don't know which ones are the original. They all look the same age-wise even under a magnifying glass !!
Any info anyone ??

Everything seems fine with the neck and body. Intonation is perfect and playability is good but I will lower the action because I prefer a medium to low action.

I cleaned the fretboard with lemon oil and polished the body. Looks almost new now. Cleaned all the other parts as well, bridge, control plate tuners etc. Now looking far better. Tightened up and cleaned the jack socket and it seems much better. Put in a new battery. Sprayed all the pots with electrical cleaner and it helped massively but I think the mid pot needs replaced. Probably will just replace the lot while I'm at it.

One interesting point which shows my lack of observation at the start. The dot marker is not missing but it's discoloured to the point that it looks almost the same colour as the fretboard. A gentle clean under a 9X magnifying glass did nothing to help. I now need to decide to replace the whole set or just live with it as-is?
Several other dots are losing their colour too, others look as new. I think it's been sitting in sunlight for a long time because you can see "shadows" on the fretboard along the length of the strings. Nothing to worry about though and it might blend in after a few months cleaning.

All in all a lovely bass which I think I'll really enjoy. The looks are classic Fender ( To an average punter anyway) but with a modern twist. I like the tuners all on top more than the 4/1 arrangement but that's just me.

After playing bass for about 20 years ( guitarist for 15+ years before that as well) this is my first Fender. I thought it was time to try one because I've never been drawn to Fender but hear all the rave reviews. Mostly played neck-through body basses in the past so the bolt-on is newish to me. (Still regret selling my first bass, an Aria SB900)

First impression is that this bass is a solid gigging bass but it will have to work hard to replace my main gigging bass, a Spector euro CRFM 5 with U-retro, or my Warwicks for that matter but it is quite a different beast and I'll enjoy the variety.

The looks are really killer though in the sunburst finish. If I had time to get new strings and play them in a little I'd gig this bass tonight but I haven't so I''ll have to wait for the first outing.

All advice appreciated as always.

Frank
EDIT. I'm not too keen on the gloss finish to the neck. Any advice on sanding it down and maybe waxing?

Edited by machinehead