Why become a member? ×

Side fretboard (top edge) lights

Tinman

I asked this question in my build thread but I think it's being missed.

Which side (top edge) lights work the best on stage, blue or red?

Jon (Shuker) seems to think that blue ones may get lost and advised me to throw the question open the floor.

Help me out guys

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='acidbass' post='7318' date='May 26 2007, 08:56 PM']If I'm not mistaken (going by a video I watched some time ago) - Stuart Clayton has blue LED's on his neck, maybe he could advise you, assuming he's registered on BC?[/quote]

Thanks mate, you do know I'm talking about the light's on the top edge and not the front lights, don't you?

Reason I ask this is that I think there may be some confusion.

The question is I need to know which work best in the varying degrees of stage lighting, Jon reckons the blue ones get lost. Aesthetically IMHO, the blue ones go best with the maple but are red (or any other colour for that matter) better on stage?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='obbm' post='7333' date='May 26 2007, 09:32 PM']I've got 2 basses with blue top edge lights. Never had a problem with them getting lost, just me. :huh:[/quote]

[quote name='simon73' post='7359' date='May 26 2007, 10:25 PM']I used to work with Theatre lighting many years ago and if I remember correctly Blue lights can easily get lost in white light. This would make red light clearer. Hope that is of some help for you.[/quote]

What do I do???????????? It' all so confusing. I like blue but red is good, I know, how about mauve?

Sorry guys, I guess I need to think about what out stage lighting is like and then decide from there.

Si, Jon agrees with you, he thinks red would be best from a stage point of view, but the blue is SO nice!

P.S If Mrs T had her way they would be pink! :)

I've blue on my SEI and never a problem. If anything they are too bright which is why I had an external dimmer fitted.
Had red on an earlier SEI and them to be a little annoying after a while. Blue SIMS seems to be easier on the eye but still effective.
Had green on another bass and that worked well.

Blue LED's are fine- I have them. They are very easy on the eye too.
If there is too much white light then presumably you wouldn't need the side LEDs to help you anyway.
LEDs are a safety net- when my batteries die I wait a while before replacing them so I don't get [i]completely[/i] reliant on them.

I've got basses with red, blue and aqua LED's, the aqua and blue are best, the aqua being the most visible under any conditions, if anything the red ones get lost under various coloured lights.

However, I have recently had a problem whereby I wanted just blue side edge LED's, not front LED's as I have on my other basses. Unfortunately, SIMS will only offer red and amber LEDs for side only retrofits, if you want any other colours you have to have front face LEDs, making the side LEDs fibre optic channels running from the front LED. At least that is what I was told by Martin Sims.

Cheers,
Mike

[quote name='chardbass' post='7417' date='May 27 2007, 12:42 AM']They are very easy on the eye too.[/quote]

Not on all eyes, my eyes hate bright blue light, can't focus it correctly. Small, round LEDs look like fuzzy blue flowers. All other colours are fine.

[quote name='neepheid' post='7508' date='May 27 2007, 10:47 AM']Not on all eyes, my eyes hate bright blue light, can't focus it correctly. Small, round LEDs look like fuzzy blue flowers. All other colours are fine.[/quote]

Yeah I'm with Neep Blue doesn't work for me.
Red's fine on mine. (side only front one's are so gauche :) )
Blue doesnt work fo me in Powerpoint and in films either - any dark situation.

I find they arn't [i]needed[/i] in good stage light situations but they do[i] help[/i].. If I have to find the 12th fret in a hurry, it's just easier with the lights on.
An accessible dimmer would be handy too.

Oh and the punters just love them. :huh:

Edited by OldGit

My fretless Jack Bruce Warwick spesh has red lights with green lights at the 12th and 24 fret position.

Very useful.

I don't go up the dusty end of the neck too often - but they did keep me going (while the rest of the band fell apart round me!) when the lights failed at a recent hotel gig!

David

[quote name='Tinman' post='7524' date='May 27 2007, 11:28 AM']Jon showed one with blue and one with red. I have to admit to liking the blue ones best but he suggested I ask the question.[/quote]

14 weeks? yeah, right... and wedding gigs always start on time ...