Why become a member? ×

which is the bass for me?

Tait

following on from [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7773"]my other thread[/url] i have decided to sell [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5700"]my jazz bass[/url] and i'm considering buying one of three other basses to replace it.

1) epiphone ripper bass- i played one of these at music live and really loved it, but would probably put seymour duncans in, which leads to the schecter and the peavey maybe being better for me.

2) schecter model t- i also played on of these at music live. it was a little more expensive than the ripper and comes with a rosewood fretboard on the white (i prefer both rosewood and white basses). it also comes with seymour duncans.

3) peavey zodiac david ellefson sig.- i don't know much about these. they come with seymour duncan pups. they're are also in my opinion the coolest looking of the three. but i don't know how much one of these would cost (i haven't been bothered to find out, but it wont take long) and at the london guitar show i played a cheaper version of the zodiac and hated the neck. before i buy I'll try one out, but what do you think about these?

which of these is the bass for me? if you read my previous thread you will find out what sort of music i'm into, but all you really need to know is that i'm after a p/j combo that will give a good precision sound on the front pickup as well as a good slap sound on either the back or both pickups.

EDIT: would also like to add that if anyone thinks they know a better bass I'm open to suggestions. I'm not just limited to these three, but I am limited to that sort of price range.

Edited by lwtait

The schecters also the hardest to get hold of, though.

Simon1964 just phoned me to suggest a Fender Precision Lyte. I've never played one, but they have a Precision neck and body, don't they? Anyway, what are your thoughts on these?

EDIT: I've found a great one!!!!!! Its a Fender Precision Special.... from the year I was born! (admittedly, thats not too special since it was only 1992, but still!)

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='84160' date='Nov 5 2007, 07:17 PM']Advise caution with the Precision Lyte - I found it Lyte on sound.

Wot I said in your OP - Aerodyne.[/quote]

im not fond of the aerodyne. what do you mean by lyte on sound? and does that also applie to the precision special?

I'd second the Schecter. My mate has one and it sounds great. The standard model, not the Robert DeLeo has good pickups, looks good and sounds good. The Robert DeLeo model has not as good pickups but a satin rather than gloss neck that you might prefer. Sound Control must have some in stock.

[quote name='lwtait' post='84216' date='Nov 5 2007, 09:18 PM']im not fond of the aerodyne. what do you mean by lyte on sound? and does that also applie to the precision special?[/quote]
Lyte on sound - I found it lacked bottom, weight if you like :) Not tried a precision special but opinions from those that have were mixed. There have been a few if you can get the search to work.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='84238' date='Nov 5 2007, 10:06 PM']Lyte on sound - I found it lacked bottom, weight if you like :) Not tried a precision special but opinions from those that have were mixed. There have been a few if you can get the search to work.[/quote]

Strange. A mate has got a couple of Lytes and I've not noticed they were light in the bass, but did seem to lack the typical low mid grunt of the P. Then again I've not used them through my own amp or A/B'd them with a precision.